JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I ain't moving today. We had black ice last night and I woke up to 7 inches of snow on top of it.
We live on a hill and our neighborhood gets plowed in if the plows make it up the hill.
I have all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive vehicles.
While I'm positive I can make it out safely there isn't any reason to risk it. Sometimes you just gotta know when to sit tight.

It's still snowing too.

We moved in late fall to be closer to my school.

Where we are at now is a very beautiful acre and a half...with lots of different tress and a spring which bubbles out into a pool.
As I said , beautiful and attracts wildlife which is enjoyable to watch.

With that said....
Now with all the rain we had , plus freezing temperatures and snow....we have a thick layer of ice in our yard and through our driveway / parking area.
Four wheel drive notwithstanding...I ain't going nowhere for a bit.

A large part of driving in the snow is , knowing when to drive or not to drive.
As well as keeping good tires on your vehicle and maintaining a slow steady speed.
Andy

True fact. Best winter vehicle I had was a 1998 Honda Accord. I remember several nights plowing my way home in that thing! I drive a duramax now but still miss the memories in that Accord.
Yeah, I get it, but the whole FWD is nearly as good as AWD gets blown out of the water the moment you drive an AWD car with studded Nokians.

I survived many a snow storm in my FWD cars back in the day. Heck, I believe AWD is more dangerous because it gives false confidence, when the light turns green and the AWD car takes off just fine and picks up speed you forget you'll need to stop or turn. FWD car will easily loose forward traction, reminding the driver to chill out.

My other car is AWD, and my wife got her first FWD last year because she wrecked twice in AWD conditions as she's not a good judge of adverse situations.

1) ""absolutely unstoppable in this crap"
Does that mean you can't stop?

2) I realize that 4WD + M&S tires does not = magic so I drive at reduced speed.

3) We had a '56 Willys wagon (4 levers growing out of the floor) with a transplanted 235 Chevy 6. It performed very well in conditions involving reduced traction.

Maybe I need to clarify a few things. There were other cars that had moved before I took the picture. I was able to stop without a problem but after I stopped my truck slid sideways into the ditch. I couldn't just go around him because there was a car that was stuck in the ice in the other lane. Had I been able to go I wouldn't have ended up in the ditch.

Maybe I need to clarify a few things. There were other cars that had moved before I took the picture. I was able to stop without a problem but after I stopped my truck slid sideways into the ditch. I couldn't just go around him because there was a car that was stuck in the ice in the other lane. Had I been able to go I wouldn't have ended up in the ditch.
I really think they're just giving you a hard time because, well, that's what we do! I should think they know how it went.
You been around here long enough to know there's a bunch of funny guys here.

I really think they're just giving you a hard time because, well, that's what we do! I should think they know how it went.
You been around here long enough to know there's a bunch of funny guys here.
You're right I just need to listen up about it. At least I had a great time getting out of the ditch and making it much deeper.

there's a bunch of funny guys here.
Funny for many different reasons...
hk93.png

-Robert

We had that blizzard many years ago a month before I left the state for good. hundreds of cars all from St Helens over cornenius pass to the rock creek area all stopped or crashed. multiple people just gave up and stopped in the middle of the road presumably waiting for help. It took me 3 hours to drive around them all to get home. People where stopped sideways, blocking both lanes of the road trying to put on their chains at 9:00pm at night after they got stuck half way up the pass. No one would even attempt to pull over, if they thought it was too slippery, they would just stop in the road. The collective IQ on that pass that day was not higher than the temperature, that is for sure.

We had that blizzard many years ago a month before I left the state for good. hundreds of cars all from St Helens over cornenius pass to the rock creek area all stopped or crashed. multiple people just gave up and stopped in the middle of the road presumably waiting for help. It took me 3 hours to drive around them all to get home. People where stopped sideways, blocking both lanes of the road trying to put on their chains at 9:00pm at night after they got stuck half way up the pass. No one would even attempt to pull over, if they thought it was too slippery, they would just stop in the road. The collective IQ on that pass that day was not higher than the temperature, that is for sure.
Yep, that's what happens when "Townies" get a dose of Mother Nature.

You're right I just need to listen up about it. At least I had a great time getting out of the ditch and making it much deeper.
I can't speak for the others but I was definitely just giving you crap. I get it totally and you ended up where you did because you were smart enough to avoid smacking some idiot. I do the same sort of thing you were.

1640630595725_1128101149.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR