JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have two, a 1942 Half Cab, and a Restomod 46, both are as hard core and tough as they come! The 42 is cooler to drive and a lot more handy as a working truck, and it's rare only 880 were ever built!
My dream truck always wanted one. My 73 I had in high school was fun but not near the truck lol. Now you have to sell your left nut and right leg to get a 40s,50s,60s and just a leg for 70s lol.

When I was working, making it in when it snowed was sometimes a challenge. These days, there are a whole bunch of people who don't actually go in to work, they do it from home. Allegedly. My property has six neighbors. One lot is natural, not inhabited. Another has a vacant house on it. Of the remaining four, two have retirees living on them. That leaves two of working age, they haven't gone to work in going on two years.

Re. my own three adult children, my son works totally from home, Covid or not, the HQ for his business is somewhere far away, he has no office per se to go to. He is something called a yield manager, I'm not sure what that is. He recently got a salary increase, it was $40K per year onto whatever he was already making so I guess he's doing something right. Daughter number one is an RN but works mostly as an administrator so she works mostly at home these days. There are some sensitive patient procedures that only she can do, so those she must travel in to work for. Daughter number two is a veterinary tech, has recently started up her own business doing small animal care at people's homes, very lucrative, but it involves travel to nearly all clients. Yes, she has a Subaru.

I don't have any trucks or other fancy vehicles for snow travel. Just a set of studded snow tires I can put on my old Mercury not-so-Grand Marquis. Which has traction control, which helps. Mrs. Merkt has a Hyundai with front wheel drive but it doesn't do as well as the Mercury. She used to have an old Pontiac Bonneville with front wheel drive, that was a real goer in snow.

Back east, a lot of people used to keep a seasonal vehicle. One old beater for Winter that was kitted out the way the owner saw best. This battered old rust bucket subbed for the "good" cars in Winter. The good cars stayed cosseted in the garage, the beater stayed out. I suppose they all have SUV's year round now.

In my experience the 70's Scout is one of the few vehicles that can keep up with a Jeep offroad. Yeah, I know that FJ's are awesome. I stand by my statement. :)

I'm also not talking about exotic stuff most of us will never drive or heavily modified rigs.
Is this a challenge? To be fare there really isn't much stock left but the body, this one is far more capable then my mostly stock '76. Yes FJs are awesome but they aren't a scout. Lol

Is this a challenge? To be fare there really isn't much stock left but the body, this one is far more capable then my mostly stock '76. Yes FJs are awesome but they aren't a scout. Lol
Yes it is. :) Start a thread in Off Topic if there isn't one. I looked and didn't see one. Call it Show Your 4x4's or something like that. I don't have one all kitted out, but I'd definitely peruse a thread like that.

In my experience the 70's Scout is one of the few vehicles that can keep up with a Jeep offroad. Yeah, I know that FJ's are awesome. I stand by my statement. :)

I'm also not talking about exotic stuff most of us will never drive or heavily modified rigs.
I had a 73 Scout II several yeats ago, but the rust monster was eating it up.

Ended up with a 1984 USGI M1009, which is a Blazer with a 3/4 suspension and running gear, with the 1 ton truck diesel. Gov-loc rear axle.
Are you talking pre 70s? I had a 73 power wagon with a 440 it was a pretty sweet truck but not anything like the earlier generations.
I also have a 1954 Dodge 3/4t M37 powerwagon. Stock low geared, 4 speed with 2 speed transfer case amd a PTO driven wench.

I also have a 1954 Dodge 3/4t M37 powerwagon. Stock low geared, 4 speed with 2 speed transfer case amd a PTO driven wench.
This was my daily driver in Vietnam, but I don't recall seeing any snow there. Those NDCC tires were pretty useless on slick surfaces; there were times when I'd lose traction on wet pavement.

gary VN Jan 1972 a.JPG

We were out today on a supply run. It snowed some more last night / early this morning but the sun was out briefly early this afternoon. I got my snow tires on and off we went in the aging Mercury. The road up to our place was worst; once we got out where all the SUV's with all wheel drive had trod, it was duck soup. I saw my winky light on the dash indicating operation of the traction control come on a few times.

I had a 73 Scout II several yeats ago, but the rust monster was eating it up.

Ended up with a 1984 USGI M1009, which is a Blazer with a 3/4 suspension and running gear, with the 1 ton truck diesel. Gov-loc rear axle.

I just looked up that M1009 and it sounds pretty awesome. 3/4 ton with a 6.2 diesel and a THM400. Not a computer in sight. That could be a tow vehicle and an off roader. Nice.

So around 5.00 tonight...
I pulled a fella out of the ditch...he just hit ice...and kept going.
He is okay...his car..not so much...but he was able to drive home.

Sure do like my truck...and 4WD Low.....:D
Andy

Andy
Careful, some on this site will think you're a small peckerer like all others with a 4wd truck! Very good of you to help someone in need.

Andy

Careful, some on this site will think you're a small peckerer like all others with a 4wd truck! Very good of you to help someone in need.
Good on you, this comes to mind as to what he drives :s0077: :s0140:

bb0dd91f59de7c4a9d2b3e7b9dc8f838.jpg fce4dc45f90c2ab8643451e409ee1eaf.jpg

Thanks fellas....needed a laugh.

I have a red 2011 Chevy Silverado...it works well for getting me to where I want to go...or gettin' folks outta ditches...LOL
As far as helping out...yeah...it was nice..but it also was the right thing to do.
Andy

Many people think it's everyone else that's the problem until they, too are in the ditch or wrapped around a pole. Oh wait, no it was still someone else's fault.
Coming in to post something similar. When it comes to "driving in the snow" it's always "driving in the snow doesn't bother me, it's all the other idiots out there." Hmmm...

Of course, anyone driving faster than you is an "idiot who is going to kill someone" and anyone going slower "needs to learn how to drive" or "stay home."

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top