JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had an opportunity to exercise my Matchlock Musket Sunday and verify P.O.A. of the new sight I had installed. I thought I would try some new patches.
I have been using cut to size, "T" Shirt material. The new patches were 2" round, cotton, "Make-Up" pads. First, I seated the ball, (Marble) in the muzzle and
trimmed off the excess patch. This seemed to give fairly consistent results. Then I tried not trimming the patch and just shoved the whole thing down the
bore.

WOW ! The bullet strikes which had been pretty much on target at 25 yards, became wildly erratic as to vertical spacing. A few as much as 2 feet on the 2'x3'
piece of cardboard I was using to backup my targets.

The marbles I'm using are 5/8" dia., about .62 cal. and weigh 86 gr. I'm using 30 gr. of FFG and priming with FFFFG. I don't expect, "Tack Driving Accuracy"
with a Musket, but off of the bench, it will shoot a 4" , 4 shot group at 25 yards. Looks like it's back to the, "T" Shirt patches.

With a smoothbore, you might try wadding vice patching. Without any rifling to spin the patch all that extra material in a 2" patch out front of the ball may be getting in the way. The extra light marbles vice a 320 grain lead ball probably aren't helping either.

For my flintlock 20 gauge , when shooting round ball
I use 60 grains of 2F , sometimes a shotgun wad...sometimes not , a flannel sheet patch and a .600 lead round ball....

I would suggest sticking with lead round balls....marbles , tacks , rocks , nails and such....can be shot , with you gun , not mine... but its not really a good idea to do so....
Andy

For my flintlock 20 gauge , when shooting round ball
I use 60 grains of 2F , sometimes a shotgun wad...sometimes not , a flannel sheet patch and a .600 lead round ball....

I would suggest sticking with lead round balls....marbles , tacks , rocks , nails and such....can be shot , with you gun , not mine... but its not really a good idea to do so....
Andy

My mother used to tell me not to put everything I touched in my mouth. My father said the same thing for rifle barrels. :cool:

P.S.- now I know why my flannel shirts are missing off the line!

I love these type of threads because I get to learn something about that which I currently know nothing about. Given that I have nothing of substance to add, let me provide the humor for the day and note that patching has been a problem for some time - (at least since my childhood :) )

Yesterday I was watching a YouTuber show how a single shot shotgun could be used as a muzzleloader.
He was loading the piece with a live primer in place. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but that kind of made my skin crawl.

Yesterday I was watching a YouTuber show how a single shot shotgun could be used as a muzzleloader.
He was loading the piece with a live primer in place. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but that kind of made my skin crawl.
Yikes !
Um...Yeah don't do that...
Prime or cap...after you have loaded is the preferred method...ifin ya want to avoid holes in yer head...:D
Andy

Given that was 7 years ago and the result of a gun fired into the air from 1.5 miles away, I don't think its the event Capn Jack is talking about.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top