JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had an opportunity to exercise my Matchlock Musket Sunday and verify P.O.A. of the new sight I had installed. I thought I would try some new patches.
I have been using cut to size, "T" Shirt material. The new patches were 2" round, cotton, "Make-Up" pads. First, I seated the ball, (Marble) in the muzzle and
trimmed off the excess patch. This seemed to give fairly consistent results. Then I tried not trimming the patch and just shoved the whole thing down the
bore.

WOW ! The bullet strikes which had been pretty much on target at 25 yards, became wildly erratic as to vertical spacing. A few as much as 2 feet on the 2'x3'
piece of cardboard I was using to backup my targets.

The marbles I'm using are 5/8" dia., about .62 cal. and weigh 86 gr. I'm using 30 gr. of FFG and priming with FFFFG. I don't expect, "Tack Driving Accuracy"
with a Musket, but off of the bench, it will shoot a 4" , 4 shot group at 25 yards. Looks like it's back to the, "T" Shirt patches.

With a smoothbore, you might try wadding vice patching. Without any rifling to spin the patch all that extra material in a 2" patch out front of the ball may be getting in the way. The extra light marbles vice a 320 grain lead ball probably aren't helping either.

For my flintlock 20 gauge , when shooting round ball
I use 60 grains of 2F , sometimes a shotgun wad...sometimes not , a flannel sheet patch and a .600 lead round ball....

I would suggest sticking with lead round balls....marbles , tacks , rocks , nails and such....can be shot , with you gun , not mine... but its not really a good idea to do so....
Andy

For my flintlock 20 gauge , when shooting round ball
I use 60 grains of 2F , sometimes a shotgun wad...sometimes not , a flannel sheet patch and a .600 lead round ball....

I would suggest sticking with lead round balls....marbles , tacks , rocks , nails and such....can be shot , with you gun , not mine... but its not really a good idea to do so....
Andy

My mother used to tell me not to put everything I touched in my mouth. My father said the same thing for rifle barrels. :cool:

P.S.- now I know why my flannel shirts are missing off the line!

I love these type of threads because I get to learn something about that which I currently know nothing about. Given that I have nothing of substance to add, let me provide the humor for the day and note that patching has been a problem for some time - (at least since my childhood :) )

Yesterday I was watching a YouTuber show how a single shot shotgun could be used as a muzzleloader.
He was loading the piece with a live primer in place. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but that kind of made my skin crawl.

Yesterday I was watching a YouTuber show how a single shot shotgun could be used as a muzzleloader.
He was loading the piece with a live primer in place. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but that kind of made my skin crawl.
Yikes !
Um...Yeah don't do that...
Prime or cap...after you have loaded is the preferred method...ifin ya want to avoid holes in yer head...:D
Andy

Given that was 7 years ago and the result of a gun fired into the air from 1.5 miles away, I don't think its the event Capn Jack is talking about.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top