JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dang, that must have been a sick feeling when she discovered the gun during the flight. That's probably going to turn into a hefty fine from from the US and Japanese authorities. I wonder if she could have just immediately booked a return flight and checked her carry-on at the gate?

Good thing she wasn't going to Singapore...

I do know someone personally whom this happened to so I must believe while rare, it does happen more than TSA lets on or even finds out about.

I cannot help but hear the spin that they are hoping for with the government shutdown angle being brought up.

This may qualify as an unrelated rant so feel free to proceed with that in mind.
I've been news free for a few years now (except for the rare occasion I click something here or one of the other forums) and it really sours one to what passes for reporting these days. Some of these sources should have been out of business years ago but apparently the hype and deliberate twisting of the facts is still of interest to the average american...:(

PS. I know it's been discussed in other threads but if you're feeling anxious or depressed about the world and it's goings on, I can recommend "cutting the cord" so to speak. Try it for a couple weeks and tell me your experience. I can only speak for myself when I say that it was a worthwhile positive change and has changed my outlook for the better.

Japan is the last place you want to have an "oops" moment with a gun, much less a stray cartridge (spent or not) or even a pocket knife. Every time I go there I go through my bags several times to make sure there's not even an empty shell casing hiding in there. It's a wonderful place to visit but they have extremely strict rules on firearms, ammo and knives.

Maybe the Government shutdown prevented the purchase of fresh Batteries for the X-ray machine/metal detectors? o_O
Sounds like fake news to scare the public by making the shutdown to blame.

Last Edited:
So let me get this stright, someone got on to a commercial flight with a gun , in a carry on bag, completed their flight ,without incident, and actually
not charged ! Sounds like a non event to me !

I have flown though Narita Airport numerous time traveling to Singapore and you get off the plane and go though security screen again when you arrive in Japan. I cannot believe that the Japanese authorities did not arrest that man or woman. Seems really fishy to me.

C'mon, TSA is theatre, slight of hand for some, but a laughingstock for most.

Ever been in an airport with real security?

Think everywhere but the U.S.

Thats why I carry Glocks and M&Ps. When I accidently end up in a foreign country with one, its not such a financial hit to pitch it in the drink.

Buy an inexpensive Anderson lower receiver and buy a rifle kit from Palmetto State Armory and you are done.

This happened while back with a guy I worked with. Used a bag that he uses as a range bag for carry on. Loaded mag was in the bottom he did not see it. Flew to Skyharbor in AZ. While there he never got to the bottom of the bag so still did not know. On way back guys in blue call him into a room, there sits his bag. When they pulled the mag out he said he about died. Told them it flew from SeaTac. They said they didn't want to hear that. Let him off after he signed some form saying he understood if he did it again blah, blah, blah. They of course kept the mag. Said they "disposed of it". He felt he was quite lucky. I have no doubt this happens a lot more that the TSA wants to admit.
Flew a while back and my checked thru had an M Series Taser along with other goodies. When I got to AZ there was a card in the bag, saying "we at the TSA love you enough to have searched this bag" or such. When I got home I could see they had again opened it but this time no we love you card. I half expected it to get stolen. Had a Sap in there too. I was imagining the kids from the TSA when they found that asking each other what the hell is was :)

Thats why I carry Glocks and M&Ps. When I accidently end up in a foreign country with one, its not such a financial hit to pitch it in the drink.
-
You can admit it among friends.., you carry keltec also .
-
It 'is ' straight to the steel bars hotel is in possession of handgun there . Same treatment as lesser infractions . Had a friend who flew into japan and was immediately snagged for trying to get in with expired Visa . Straight to jail , No collect personal items at apartment, No collect funds-$ . Just jail and then deported back on flight at 'there ' expense .

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews