JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A elective , non-political , free or low cost class on :
Safe firearm handling...
How firearms work...
Basic firearms identification...
Basic ballistics...
Might be of help in preventing "accidents"...I say might , because what we learn is only useful if we apply our knowledge to the situation at hand.

I work with kids ...and many today have a worrisome disconnect to just how the real world operates.
What the cause of this is , be it :
Poor parenting...
Too much time on the TV , phone , movies , video games etc...
A lack of teaching...
Are all good points to consider and places to start a fix.

"Safe Storage Laws" , are one of those ideas that look good on paper , but not so good in practice.
Just what safe storage of my firearms looks like in my house and works in my house , may be vastly different , then in the house of someone else.

And again...why should those of us , who had nothing to do with what happened , be made to change or accept / forced to deal with the consequences of the actions of another...?
Andy

While I am sorry for these folks that lost a son, I really don't see their drive to make safe gun storage a law could ever work. You would think any law mandating safe gun storage would be unenforceable. At best the state could prosecute a gun owner after the fact if his or her firearm was available and used by someone else in a crime. At that point the damage has already been done and any penalty levied by the state on a gun owner becomes simple revenge.

For myself, I'll just keep doing what I have always done: Long guns, mags, ammo and other supplies live in a big, heavy, locked gun safe. Every day carry guns and spare mags stay with me at all times. I don't really care what some politician says or does. I'll handle my guns in my own way.

I don't have kids and none ever come to visit. Why should I have to store my guns with trigger locks & unloaded? I wouldn't obey the law even if it were in place. Make gun safety classes mandatory in schools. They could use non functional replicas for obvious reasons. We teach kids not to touch a hot stove or stick a fork in the light socket, why not gun safety?...

I don't have kids and none ever come to visit. Why should I have to store my guns with trigger locks & unloaded? I wouldn't obey the law even if it were in place. Make gun safety classes mandatory in schools. They could use non functional replicas for obvious reasons. We teach kids not to touch a hot stove or stick a fork in the light socket, why not gun safety?...
Or how to apply and use a condom... :eek:

These parents had a child die.
That is an unthinkable tragedy few of us have had.
No, I don;t agree with more laws but no one can blame the parents for how they are responding. It has forever been human nature to blame the weapn rather than the person.

Sad? Yes.

Darwin Award? Possibly.

"Ethan, is gone. He accidentally shot himself last year when he was at a friend's house, playing with guns"

I would say he negligently shot himself and at 15 should have known better.

Was he looking down the barrel when he pulled the trigger?

It seem like people kids die stupidly and then they can't deal with the grief and focus on trying to make more rules for a bunch of others that don't need them....

Teach your kids about guns like you should about sex and drugs - they can all be bad for your health.

I will seem rather callous; but the fact is too many in Oregon want Legal, Law Abiding Gun owners to suffer for both the criminal and the stupid!

The kid who died, is sad, but he was an idiot as were his parents and possibly the parents in the gun's home as well. It is STUPID, for anyone, to play with guns. Read another story about someone with a CC taking his weapon out and another person getting shot while showing it off. PEOPLE, these are NOT toys! We have to be responsible; much more responsible than the average Oregon Citizen.

However, so do the PARENTS, adults, owning these guns! For example, where were the parents of the kid who took the Shotgun to Parkrose High School just this past week? Why did they give him access to that weapon? Why have they not been arrested and charged?

However, a few stupid parents (adults) do not mean that ALL of us should be subject to more, and new, constraining laws because someone else chose to be irresponsible!

By the time I was 11 or 12 I was roaming around the neighborhood shooting squirrels Nurtia and the occasional bird with everything from a Rugar Bearcat to a Winchester model 71. No dad didn't approve. But his grip was with us shooting up his ammo. We never ever pointed a firearm at another kid (at least three other neighbor kids were also armed and wandering around "hunting") we knew what a firearm was for. And what would happen if it were misused. Dad gripped at his retirement party about how I shot up his 1000 rd wooden box of M1 carbine ammo before I was 14. Lots of Nutria and Squirrels. Granted we lived in farm country near a river where you could do this within having the rounds going 5 miles and hitting someone something.

Trying to remember exactly what firearms training I had as a child in Ancient Times. Grew up with guns, for whatever reason never touched Daddy's revolver, .22 auto, rifles or shotgun. Got my Red Ryder when 7, my Marlin 39A aout age 12. Never pointed them at anyone. I suppose someone might have observed how nicely street lights flare up whenin the way of a B-B. About 1955 used to walk down street to woods w friend carrying Civil/1812 war surplus smoothbores with which to plague the sparrows.
We always forgot to point these guns at each other or ourselves.
Old Geezers like me have forever thought something wrong with the younger generation.
Wonder why?

Yeah, a Law will fix it.

When someone dies in a car accident do they have a movement and push for safer car laws?

Let the herd be thinned out is what I say.. Sad, indeed. At 15 you are old enough to drive a car. I started driving at 15 with a learner's permit. IF I can trust you in a car with my little children walking down a school crosswalk, I would assume at this age I can also trust you with a gun. Many more idiots die behind the wheel and unfortunately kill many innocents in their path.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top