JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, the bore butter seems to do the same as (and in conjunction with) the blow tube to "buy time" before a thorough cleaning. This is in regard to a bench session or a hunt. Charcoal buildup in the bore seems to take longer to be a detriment to the point where accuracy falls off.

I do not consider Bore Butter to be a primary cleaning agent.

Oh, and I cannot draw this conclusion, but there are persons with more experience than myself that will rate Pyrodex as being HARDER on barrels than black powder. Mike Venturino is one, as he stated in personal correspondence to me.

True riflemen "of the day" took pains to care for their equipment. It was the guns of the working man/rancher/farmer (utilized much as we would utilize a pair of pliers) that more often show evidence of corrosion from Black from lack of regular care.

I have extensive experience with Pyrodex and cannot attribute any harm from it (but I always cleaned thoroughly).

Last Edited:
I never noticed any issues with Pyrodex or other substitutes, other then the speed at which the seasoned barrel would start to show signs of rusting from not cleaning after shooting. Like the hunting description post, usually with in a day. I have noticed actual black powder will not rust for a day or too, but once it does start, it does so with a vengeance. It's the Salt in the power that is causing the rust, not the char, ( or at least not so much) as I have run saltless powders and had zero rust for several days.
A good light dish soap and hot water cleaning is my preferd method, it can get into and around things and will not leave residue nor will it allow rust, just make sure you can get to every thing that got wet so that you can treat it. I make my own "bore butter" out of bear tallow mixed with olive oil and a bit of honey, I render it down and skim off the chunks, and let it simmer as the water content gets removed, it turns out a yellowish color liquid that solidifies into a buttery color paste which you use the same way. Just the way I have always done it. The Formula 409 does work great, but I have heard several hunters and other folks warn of it damaging stock finishes, so I do use it sparingly for just cleaning out the bore! I also use copper based neverseize on breach plugs and nipples, it seems to hold up better to the heat and pressures better, and any foweling gets encapsulated better. Just make sure to clear out the flash hole before shooting! I an usually get 8 to 12 shots through a barrel before it starts effecting the accuracy, but I'm also one to "sponge" a bore between shots, that' the way I was taught, I have a double ended rod, brush on one end, swab on the other, usually only the swab gets used between shots, and the brush for cleaning after. If hunting, my ram rod gets a swab on the drive end, and this works best for me! So basically I'm cleaning the bore every shot, with out any actually cleaning soaps or solvents, just a swab!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top