JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Using the Gen 1 MOLLE Ruck belt, and my green lumbar pack that I sewn up... I made a decent feeling, relatively comfortable patrol setup.

MOLLE/MALICE Pouches used;
2x woodland triple mag pouches from CMVS vest system
2x canteen pouches
2x Tactical Tailor Large Utility pouches
2x Tactical Tailor Medium utility pouches

Plus lumbar pack itself and a knife in sheath that fits on the 2" belt portion
Setup as follows;
Goose Down sleeping bag, poly-wool long johns, long sleeve light shirt, BDU pants, Wool socks, extra underwear, all in main bag.
ammo in mags, in mag pouches,
flashlight into small pocket on mag pouch
water bottle and canteen, canteen cup into canteen covers
10x10 Bushcraft USA 1.9oz tarp into Large Utility Pouch, with paracord.
medical insert contains med kit obviously, forceps and extra med stuff that doesnt fit the insert, goes into the bottom of Medium utility pouch, with the insert on top.
fire starting kit, fatwood and fire gel, Esbit folding stove, tent stakes all into the other Medium utility pouch.
food goes into other Large Utility pouch.
USGI Sleep pad gets lashed to top of bag with lash straps. I can also lash fleece pull over or cold weather parka along with the pad if too hot to wear them while walking/hiking. not shown, hiking stick(s) which would do double duty as tarp poles. AR15 would be on my person with 1 mag loaded, I also have compass on a field dressing pouch on my person at all times, along with maps and a smaller FAK in pockets on my person.
DSCF1601.JPG DSCF1602.JPG DSCF1603.JPG DSCF1604.JPG DSCF1605.JPG DSCF1606.JPG DSCF1607.JPG

Using the Gen 1 MOLLE Ruck belt, and my green lumbar pack that I sewn up... I made a decent feeling, relatively comfortable patrol setup.

MOLLE/MALICE Pouches used;
2x woodland triple mag pouches from CMVS vest system
2x canteen pouches
2x Tactical Tailor Large Utility pouches
2x Tactical Tailor Medium utility pouches

Plus lumbar pack itself and a knife in sheath that fits on the 2" belt portion
Setup as follows;
Goose Down sleeping bag, poly-wool long johns, long sleeve light shirt, BDU pants, Wool socks, extra underwear, all in main bag.
ammo in mags, in mag pouches,
flashlight into small pocket on mag pouch
water bottle and canteen, canteen cup into canteen covers
10x10 Bushcraft USA 1.9oz tarp into Large Utility Pouch, with paracord.
medical insert contains med kit obviously, forceps and extra med stuff that doesnt fit the insert, goes into the bottom of Medium utility pouch, with the insert on top.
fire starting kit, fatwood and fire gel, Esbit folding stove, tent stakes all into the other Medium utility pouch.
food goes into other Large Utility pouch.
USGI Sleep pad gets lashed to top of bag with lash straps. I can also lash fleece pull over or cold weather parka along with the pad if too hot to wear them while walking/hiking. not shown, hiking stick(s) which would do double duty as tarp poles. AR15 would be on my person with 1 mag loaded, I also have compass on a field dressing pouch on my person at all times, along with maps and a smaller FAK in pockets on my person.
View attachment 497419 View attachment 497420 View attachment 497421 View attachment 497422 View attachment 497423 View attachment 497424 View attachment 497425
I like. What is the Weight?

TP... what is with you guys and the heavy insistence on tp lol. it would be on my person, or I can just figure a way to carry a small water bottle with sprayer attachment for spraying the crap off my bum. (think bidet)
weight is just shy of 25 pounds by feel, might be more, might be less...ammo and water are the primary weight increase here.

TP... what is with you guys and the heavy insistence on tp lol. it would be on my person, or I can just figure a way to carry a small water bottle with sprayer attachment for spraying the crap off my bum. (think bidet)
weight is just shy of 25 pounds by feel, might be more, might be less...ammo and water are the primary weight increase here.

If you get one of those water filters, you wouldn't have to carry so much water.

the areas I'm thinking where I would be walking for patrols and such, wont be bountiful with waters honestly...at least not the areas on foot; by vehicle, sure plenty, and for that reason, I have jugs ready in the car...I also have the Aqua treatment bottles in the vehicle kit (should really get more and put one in the pack as well as a filter if I can fit it in there...)

honestly, more gear would mean just move up to a larger pack, which goes into UM21, or ALICE territory. This is basically a barebones survival/get back to base/get home bag really. I have a feeling some would say add a pistol and mags, but that puts more weight than necessary, and with a decent lightweight AR15; (cleaning kit is on my person as well, or easily attached to the pack's MOLLE space) the carbine would do 99% of self defense duty.

Very nice. Never brought an AR in the field. Just my CZ or Kimber and 2-3 mags. Then again, never been in combat.

Good reminder that I need to add burn gel to my kit.
Suggest a hotel needle/thread pack and also superglue for those extra-large boo-boos.
Also bring Hydrocortisone for after wrestling with Poison Ivy.
Betadine is the bomb. Stains the eff out of anything it touches. Can you still buy it? My bottle is going on 20 years old....
For years I've used a sleeping roll just like yours. Light but ungodly bulky. Just picked up this thermal rest at a Costco demo called Klymit. It's about 20oz, comfy, and compresses to smaller than my 20°F bag, or much, much smaller than my subzero bag.

I always bring 3-4 extra pair of socks. Stuff all my clothing inside a garbage bag inside the pack. Wet feet and the blisters that follow are a kiss of death.

Betadine is still available I think, through pharmacies. As for the hydrocortisone, I think I have a small "travel" sized pack of it somewhere in my vehicle kit...going to check it out. I know I have a larger tube stashed at home. I've been considering that Klymit thing...only thing I'm concerned about would be its resistance to abrasion or sharp poky things, as well as its ability to support a heavy dude without blowing out :confused: Never been in combat either, but have brought the AR along enough that I'm comfortable with it on me. It basically is a camp carbine for me...replacing the Hi Point carbine. Needle/thread kit and superglue are something I had not previously considered bringing... strange, because I sew stuff all the time at home :rolleyes: I do also have a quick-tourniquet in the first aid kit for when it is absolutely necessary. (Have had training in that)

Betadine is still available I think, through pharmacies. As for the hydrocortisone, I think I have a small "travel" sized pack of it somewhere in my vehicle kit...going to check it out. I know I have a larger tube stashed at home. I've been considering that Klymit thing...only thing I'm concerned about would be its resistance to abrasion or sharp poky things, as well as its ability to support a heavy dude without blowing out :confused: Never been in combat either, but have brought the AR along enough that I'm comfortable with it on me. It basically is a camp carbine for me...replacing the Hi Point carbine. Needle/thread kit and superglue are something I had not previously considered bringing... strange, because I sew stuff all the time at home :rolleyes: I do also have a quick-tourniquet in the first aid kit for when it is absolutely necessary. (Have had training in that)
What clinched me on the klymit was the woman demonstrating saying, "guaranteed for life - damage, send in, we repair or replace."
Haven't tried it in the field yet. Will late this month.
I need a better tourniquet. Thanks for that reminder. Currently have an ancient velcro pull tensioner type. I also carry tywraps in case I ever needed to restrain someone as a volunteer ranger, figured they could also be used as a tourniquet.

Yea, TP and a small pack of baby wipes. Hate when the brown eye gets irritated, makes me walk funny :eek:

Yea, TP and a small pack of baby wipes. Hate when the brown eye gets irritated, makes me walk funny :eek:
I have antiseptic towelettes; do they count? :rolleyes:

seems there should be a market for a MOLLE carrier system of "infinite TP! roll!" complete with doggy baggies dispenser for when you need to dispose of the used TP but don't wanna dig a cat hole :p:oops::rolleyes::eek:

Again, this is where a decent bidet system will be awesome.... I see there's a portable bottle based bidet out on the market, basically you squeeze it, and it flushes your brown lumps off the skin, then you just have to clean the are with antiseptic towelettes/baby wipes? But as men, we know they may not exert enough pressure to remove the stubborn sticky stuff :eek:

I saw somewhere, a lady had converted one of those weed killer pump action sprayers into a camp bidet...mostly involved heating and bending the spout so that it can reach better..and shortening the hose itself maybe? Perhaps a much more compact version would be better, say similar sized to a nalgene bottle?

I have antiseptic towelettes; do they count? :rolleyes:

seems there should be a market for a MOLLE carrier system of "infinite TP! roll!" complete with doggy baggies dispenser for when you need to dispose of the used TP but don't wanna dig a cat hole :p:oops::rolleyes::eek:

Again, this is where a decent bidet system will be awesome.... I see there's a portable bottle based bidet out on the market, basically you squeeze it, and it flushes your brown lumps off the skin, then you just have to clean the are with antiseptic towelettes/baby wipes? But as men, we know they may not exert enough pressure to remove the stubborn sticky stuff :eek:

I saw somewhere, a lady had converted one of those weed killer pump action sprayers into a camp bidet...mostly involved heating and bending the spout so that it can reach better..and shortening the hose itself maybe? Perhaps a much more compact version would be better, say similar sized to a nalgene bottle?

You'd rather carry a portable azz blaster than a roll of TP?

Are you humpin' the Mekong Delta a month at a time? You'd have to be crapping your brains out to run out before getting to your supplies. Just like any other expendable supplyc it has to be replaced from time to time.
Fun fact. Last weekend (labor weekend) 3 people, overnighter @ Moose Mountain, 1 roll of tp. Of course 2 out of em are women :rolleyes: ended up out of tp. In all seriousness though... we'll see. I don't crap that often though, but tp can be useful for other things.. just I prefer not pack it out every time. (Vehicle base camp.. sure.)

Might see if you can make the sleeping pad less wide.
Shorten then fold it, cut some off the side, do something. They catch on everything when they are wider than the pack. Might also see about moving it to the bottom while you are at it. Bobbing up on top can get anoying after awhile.
May also look at something other than Ramen noodles. No calories for the weight, and way to much salt load.

it's not wider than I am, not by much ;) but yeah I do see what you mean. I'll figure something out eventually. if I can fold in half lengthwise, then roll..it might work, it might end up being quite bulky... that Klymit thing really does catch my eye. Not sure I want to spend a lot for one yet, but again, we'll see with sales and such.
As for sustainment.. yeah; the ramen's really more an add on than actual food, I'm looking into making my own trail mix and possibly supplement with jerky if needed. Not sure I like the idea of buying MREs just yet....but in concept, the Large Utility Pouches are essentially "Mini sustainment pouches" in terms of what they'll be used for.
The Knorr Sides are pretty decent for what they are... I have supplemented them with Idahoan instant mashed potatoes, as well as canned chunk chicken...Might look into finding better quality foil packed cooked chicken, the Tyson red packed ones smelt like cat food...very not appetizing to me. :confused:

Glad to see you included Ramen... a field staple. I always try to pick MREs that won't be terrible when I stretch em out w Ramen. Beef stew, chicken a la king, sometimes canned sardines or smoked clams, stuff like that. Add carbs (noodles) and yer GTG. The Knorr sides are good, but the water needs to be pretty spot-on. Usually 2 cups. More makes soup, less is better...
Get yourself some MRE peanut butter. It will eliminate the need for TP for probably a week.

BTW, those antiseptic wipey things aren't azz-wipe, they'll burn your dainties. A small dispenser-pack of baby wipes is what you want. You'll only use one or two per... then you'll need the rest of em at home when the peanut butter effect wears off.

I would suggest against the zip-ties or quick-cuffs (as suggested earlier) as a tourniquet, even in a pinch. The swelling will make it dang near impossible to cut off when you finally get to a medical facility... you could end up losing the limb anyway. Yeah, it's better than bleeding to death, but a web belt, a stick, and some tape (readily available items) make a tourniquet that can be removed later.

This looks like a cool trip. I put a similar rig together awhile back to help a buddy survey some property he bought... two days on foot, one night, wooded, no roads, and we didn't have access to horses. I managed to make room for a bottle of Jamison's. Why? Because I'm a good friend.

Last Edited:
Justin's brand peanut butter pack single squeeze. Various flavors.

Nutella single packs. Haven't tried them yet ourselves, just take a portion of a jar. Have seen the singles on amazon, so thinking about getting some for grab and goes (trail, work lunch/snack/sugar kick etc).

Spam singles foil pouch. If you eat Spam. We do.

Tuna singles foil pouch.

Tortillas.

Want cheese? Real Parmesan is the best way to go. Second to that would be portions of shelf stable ground up (Kraft etc).

Quick warm snacks, soups. Packet variety, wide mouth thermos. Make your own wide mouth thermos from whichever Nalgene, then make a coozie out of Reflectix bubble wrap. Trick is to make a cover for the top as well, so entirely surrounded in Reflectix. Light weight & sturdy. Make similar for glad ware type bowls. Handy for oatmeal, instant rice and again even Ramen if in camp.

Reconstitute on the go. Could crush up the Ramen in there is well. Peruse Asian market stores for far better Ramen than normally seen in US grocers. Been way too long since we've shopped a good Asian Market, so no recommendies on which.

You could get creative and cover the outside of Reflectix with whatever thin synthetic cloth remnants. 3M spray adhesive would be quick and easy, I'd think anyways. Never did our coozies that way, but did cover a 12V fridge cover made out of reflectix that exact way ?6 years ago. Cover is still great condition.

Edit: fabric covered Reflectix on our fridge, using spray adhesive. Do not recall exactly which adhesive I used at the time., but pretty sure it was 3M.

C3393D96-DEF8-4B3B-87EF-541D9CB52ED4.jpeg

6BBA5622-17D1-4273-9F4F-CA2EA0EF4D66.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR