JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so i know this question has probably been asked before but I'd like to find a free spot where i can bring my own steel target stands, for handguns and 10/22 (50-75 yds would be cool), ideally that would be relatively low key crowds wise on a weekday. Im fine with driving an hour or so out, i just want to find a nice quiet spot where I can train and not feel pressured to move along...

Last Edited:

Definitely looked into all those spots last night. 36 pit and crooked finger are the only two that seem like what im going for. I was also hoping for some advice on the best spot that would fit my criteria as outdoor shooting is a totally new world for me and I'd like to avoid wasting hours in travel to a place that's either closed/inaccessible or super busy.

The rockpit up Pittsburg Rd in St.Helens is a decent 100 yd spot.
Last time I was there they had piles of gravel in the way reducing it to about 25 yds but it may be gone now.

Oz pit is a bit closer to me and I keep meaning to head over and check it out now that the weather is getting better.

The only free outdoors shooting spot we've gone to worthwhile* was up at North Fork Wolf Creek rd.

Great use of public lands for a shooting spot, the lanes were developed with directive input from members of this forum & Tillamook State Forest / ODFW. This input is ongoing, and sounds as though they may be adding a lane 5.

Anyways, OP, if you live on the West side, or are convenient to get on the 26 it's well worth a looksee. Definitely quieter on weekdays as well. Mayhaps checkout @LuckySG posts re targets and what have you, and arrange a swing by his shop in Banks on the way.

*used to on occasion head out to BLM land, but the time spent trying to find a safe shooting spot chewed up too much of shooting time. Plus creepy folks would occasionally show up/or were tent living nearby. As in meth-head type folks.

I'm near Seattle, so about 2.5 hours for you...still game?

Hmmm. Yeah I'd like to keep it under 2 hours ideally. Anything 2 hrs or over is gonna be a bit too much in gas for me, but if my search is fruitless I'll definitely reach back out. Thanks for the offer i really appreciate it!

The only free outdoors shooting spot we've gone to worthwhile* was up at North Fork Wolf Creek rd.

Great use of public lands for a shooting spot, the lanes were developed with directive input from members of this forum & Tillamook State Forest / ODFW. This input is ongoing, and sounds as though they may be adding a lane 5.

Anyways, OP, if you live on the West side, or are convenient to get on the 26 it's well worth a looksee. Definitely quieter on weekdays as well. Mayhaps checkout @LuckySG posts re targets and what have you, and arrange a swing by his shop in Banks on the way.

*used to on occasion head out to BLM land, but the time spent trying to find a safe shooting spot chewed up too much of shooting time. Plus creepy folks would occasionally show up/or were tent living nearby. As in meth-head type folks.
Thanks so much for the suggestion, I was going to try Wolf Creek as my backup plan. Glad to hear it's relatively quiet on a weekday.

The St. Helens pit is not listed or marked on maps and not many know of it except for locals.
If you are shooting in the area there are usually OSP in 4x4's that will ask you to shoot at the pit instead.
You can get there in a car but the last section of road is dirt and the washboards were pretty bad. Natures speed bumps.
Google Maps

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I was going to try Wolf Creek as my backup plan. Glad to hear it's relatively quiet on a weekday.

Mind that it's been a long while that we've been up there, but that is the general consensus I've gleened from posts on here since.

Have since been shooting strictly at clubs, Albany Rifle and Pistol (ARPC), when we lived up in the Valley. Ashland Gun Club now that we've moved to the State of Jefferson.

You might look at Douglas Ridge/Tricounty, if they're convenient to you. Douglas Ridge seems similar to ARPC rules wise (shoot your own steel as an ex). Whereas Tricounty you need to pass particular certs to shoot action pistol-simply due to there location. No muzzle over berm (as one shouldn't do anyways). Both may be wait listed anyways.

Another nice thing about shooting at clubs, aside from security, is meeting other folks is easier. While we had met a few nice folks up at N Fork Wolf Creek rd, it's just far easier at a club.

The St. Helens pit is not listed or marked on maps and not many know of it except for locals.
If you are shooting in the area there are usually OSP in 4x4's that will ask you to shoot at the pit instead.
You can get there in a car but the last section of road is dirt and the washboards were pretty bad. Natures speed bumps.
Google Maps

Mind that it's been a long while that we've been up there, but that is the general consensus I've gleened from posts on here since.

Have since been shooting strictly at clubs, Albany Rifle and Pistol (ARPC), when we lived up in the Valley. Ashland Gun Club now that we've moved to the State of Jefferson.

You might look at Douglas Ridge/Tricounty, if they're convenient to you. Douglas Ridge seems similar to ARPC rules wise (shoot your own steel as an ex). Whereas Tricounty you need to pass particular certs to shoot action pistol-simply due to there location. No muzzle over berm (as one shouldn't do anyways). Both may be wait listed anyways.

Another nice thing about shooting at clubs, aside from security, is meeting other folks is easier. While we had met a few nice folks up at N Fork Wolf Creek rd, it's just far easier at a club.

Thanks for the info, i'll definitely look into those!

How does going behind the firing line and putting up my own targets work at a range like this? Is there a regular cease-fire for target placement/movement etc? tips on ettiquette beyond the obvious would be well appreciated too! :)

How does going behind the firing line and putting up my own targets work at a range like this? Is there a regular cease-fire for target placement/movement etc? tips on ettiquette beyond the obvious would be well appreciated too!

At N Fork Wolf Creek Rd the lanes are small enough that they are first come first served, so you/your group are in charge of safety.

However we've shared lane 4 with folks we didn't know several times, and in those circumstances it's group consensus as to when to call a cease fire and check/place/pull targets.

Etiquette is pretty standard, coopers 4 rules, shoot at standard approved targets (stick stands/paper), steel during wet seasons only. No shooting at trash of any kind, clean up after your done.

At N Fork Wolf Creek Rd the lanes are small enough that they are first come first served, so you/your group are in charge of safety.

However we've shared lane 4 with folks we didn't know several times, and in those circumstances it's group consensus as to when to call a cease fire and check/place/pull targets.

Etiquette is pretty standard, coopers 4 rules, shoot at standard approved targets (stick stands/paper), steel during wet seasons only. No shooting at trash of any kind, clean up after your done.

Thanks again! I imagine it's still safe to shoot steel?

Never been there but that doesn't look like a good place to set up and shoot.
Unless the bird watchers don't mind a .308 going off next to them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top