JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its like how Washington state effectively forced Mattress World to close - they demanded Sheri Heiner collect sales tax on items she sold to Washington residents, and demanded back taxes. She's closing her businesses down now partly because of that crap. Now Mattress Discounters (or is it Discount Mattresses?) from California is moving into the region to take over some of her stores. Washington residents shouldn't have to pay Washington sales tax on items they buy in Oregon, and they shouldn't be demanding Oregon businesses be defacto tax collectors for them. If Oregon's governor and government had a spine, they'd raise the middle finger to our northern cousin and tell them they can't collect their sales tax in Oregon.

Actually she was illegally delivering goods to WA addresses without collecting the required taxes. It's very clear that she ignored the law. If a WA resident buys goods in OR then they are required to pay USE tax on them rather than sales tax since it's being used in WA.

WA should quit allowing OR residents to buy products in WA and not pay sales taxes on the goods since they were purchased in WA.

I'm not familiar with the Washington tax laws but I'll try to answer. The state websites say the buyer has to prove tax has been paid. They also have a requirement that the sales tax can't be lower than WA. Looks like if someone could prove a firearm came from a state with an adequate sales tax, they might avoid use tax. I'm guessing if the documentation doesn't follow the gun, you pay the tax.

This is true, if you can prove sales tax was paid in another state then it's deducted from what you owe WA. Of course that's the problem. If you can't produce a receipt WA will figure the value and collect that amount.

WA should quit allowing OR residents to buy products in WA and not pay sales taxes on the goods since they were purchased in WA.

Agreed. But the purchase of said mattresses was made in oregon not washington. That they were delivered to Washington should be inconsequential - if washington wants to make sure it gets it's cut, then they need to ditch the sales tax in favor of an income tax. It's completely ludicrous that Washington can require an Oregon business to be their tax collection agent. It's one thing if she's got a store in Vancouver - they can and should collect the sales tax, but a transaction that takes place south of the river shouldn't put the Oregon business in the position of tax agent.

Agreed. But the purchase of said mattresses was made in oregon not washington. That they were delivered to Washington should be inconsequential - if washington wants to make sure it gets it's cut, then they need to ditch the sales tax in favor of an income tax. It's completely ludicrous that Washington can require an Oregon business to be their tax collection agent. It's one thing if she's got a store in Vancouver - they can and should collect the sales tax, but a transaction that takes place south of the river shouldn't put the Oregon business in the position of tax agent.

Well, you can think what you want but the law is very clear on the matter, once the good cross into WA a WA resident either owes the sales tax or the comparable use tax. Any business that delivers goods into WA is required to collect the tax. If they don't want to do that then they shouldn't offer to deliver across the state line.

They wont be now that they're going out of business. Hopefully that pleases some bureaucrats. Onus should be on the buyer to pay the tax if they live in Washington, not trying to make an out of state business their tax agent. Maybe Washington should put tax collection booths on their side of the bridges. How many Vancouverites come across state lines to make big purchases so they don't have to pay the tax?

That makes me wonder. If I order something mail order, do I have to pay use tax on the purchase?

If I buy something in WA and keep the receipt, and then WA increases their sales tax, does the next buyer have to pay sales tax again if I sale it used?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top