JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was out shooting at my targets Saturday and took two brass casings right smack in the nose. The first was a surprise mostly. The second hit me right in the same spot just a couple rounds later. I felt that one. I had to stop for a minute to clear my eyes.

I felt a bit sheepish, but fortunately no one was around to mock me.

I'm telling all of you because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Was out shooting at my targets Saturday and took two brass casings right smack in the nose. The first was a surprise mostly. The second hit me right in the same spot just a couple rounds later. I felt that one. I had to stop for a minute to clear my eyes.

What were you shooting that ejected at your nose? Or was it someone next to you?

You can always go with a "Gangsta" sideways hold.
:)

1911s can do this (if it's a 1911) and there are some things to look at.
Not a 1911 expert, so I'll let someone who is, chime in.

Actually, the ideal is called the McMillan tilt, after the cross-dominant Marine pistol ace who took Olympic gold with it--15 to 45 degrees of inward tilt gives better lockup of your arm bones, 45 brings the sights right across to in front of your opposite eye.

As a non-cross-dominant southpaw, I use a 15 tilt shooting southpaw and a 45 right-handed. Catch is, the 45 makes ejection almost vertical... then again most of my visual acuity is lateral rather than vertical, so it helps get the flying brass out of my sight faster.

Funny. I always seem to come home from the range with at least one piece of brass in my shirt pocket. Couldn't do that even if I were trying. Just the brass faeries having a bit o' fun. It gets worse around St. Paddy's Day. Or so I am told.

What were you shooting that ejected at your nose? Or was it someone next to you?

I shoot .45 acp from a couple 1911's; a Colt LW Commander; and a Colt Defender. The nose hits were from the Defender.

I shoot alone on my own property.

Well, rather brass to the nose than balls to the chin...unless you're into that sort of thing.
You know, I was just about to click "like" for that post, but thought better of it.

Actually, the ideal is called the McMillan tilt, after the cross-dominant Marine pistol ace who took Olympic gold with it--15 to 45 degrees of inward tilt gives better lockup of your arm bones, 45 brings the sights right across to in front of your opposite eye.

As a non-cross-dominant southpaw, I use a 15 tilt shooting southpaw and a 45 right-handed. Catch is, the 45 makes ejection almost vertical... then again most of my visual acuity is lateral rather than vertical, so it helps get the flying brass out of my sight faster.

I am cross-dominant: Right handed shooting but left eye dominant. I've heard of the McMillan tilt, and was thinking of trying that out, but was a bit concerned about that position giving the brass an easier route to my face.

A good ejector might help, and I should note that if memory serves I have a high-and-no-flaring, GI-style ejection port.

A good extractor and ejector should fling it almost straight up and over, almost like a pop fly.

Yeah, you shoulda seen some of the girls I used to take shooting back in college when I suggested they might wanna turn jackets around to cover their low-cut necklines...

"But WHY? It's ugly..."
"So's having the Leading Ladies get into a Hot Brass Sandwich."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews