JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should I?

• Grow a beard: (trick answer, I have one already and it got in the way of putting stock to shoulder)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Shooting my SXS today and after about 150 rounds I couldn't put my finger on why it hurt to pull the trigger.

Capture1.PNG

I can tell my finger was in the right spot on the trigger all the time but dang!

Shotgun: Stoeger Coach Supreme
Gauge: 12
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAh2oa0ISbQ
The only one that matters

I'm leaning towards interference back by the rear trigger guard. It's my believe that possibly on the rear trigger pulls I was getting excessive rubbing by a pronounced guard and/or pinching.

Do I need to shoot more to build up a callus there? I can tell that after today I'm going to get a limbsaver for that shotgun. While it has a nice rubber pad, I can tell you that when shooting slugs from it... the first one makes you question why you did it. The second slug has you wondering if you want to do it again. The third slug rattles a molar loose and the fourth slug is shot only to prove to yourself that you are indeed a man. The 5th slug is left in the box because you aren't stupid.

Any suggestions?
My thoughts are to grind down some of the trigger guard to give more clearance on the right side. Make it more inline with trigger and not so wide.

Capture1.PNG

Yea don't shoot your SXS so many times at once.

I once sat on my butt in a classic sitting position and fired my M1 Garand 220 times with M2 ball ammo pretty much as quickly as I could. A full ammo can with the ammo already in clips.

I couldn't raise my right arm to the level of my shoulder for 3 days and for a week it hurt to do so.

Guess what I don't do that stupid any more. LOL

Well I had two choices: keep shooting or go home.

Obvious what I did.

Can you polish the trigger to be a little smoother? I have no idea, I have xxl hands and my 20ga uplander is smith as silk but I've never shot 150 rounds in a row including slugs. I'll shoot a few slugs and then maybe 100 rounds of target.

BTW - go put two slugs in that sucker and pull both triggers at once;) It's good times:D

An old trick is to soak your finger in pickle juice. As a matter of fact, hollowing out a pickle and leaving it on your finger overnight is best.. it'll stiffen up your finger so hard you'll be forced to use another one.

Lol.

Soak it.. Insider...

Pickles... You SOB!

And @Sgt Nambu, we all get prizes remember?

So as an update from the tunaishness of this thread... Let me state I'm a stay at home dad. My hands used to grab exhaust pipes and hot car parts without thinking twice. Dawn dish soap softens the hands too much and now this happens.

I took the gun apart tonight and polished the right side of the triggers and the trigger guard. I also plan to get a limb saver for the back of that mule. My shoulder is sore already. Next time I'll shoot left handed so I can experience a bad finger on the left hand.

Shooting my SXS today and after about 150 rounds I couldn't put my finger on why it hurt to pull the trigger.

View attachment 272877

I can tell my finger was in the right spot on the trigger all the time but dang!

Shotgun: Stoeger Coach Supreme
Gauge: 12
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAh2oa0ISbQ
The only one that matters

I'm leaning towards interference back by the rear trigger guard. It's my believe that possibly on the rear trigger pulls I was getting excessive rubbing by a pronounced guard and/or pinching.

Do I need to shoot more to build up a callus there? I can tell that after today I'm going to get a limbsaver for that shotgun. While it has a nice rubber pad, I can tell you that when shooting slugs from it... the first one makes you question why you did it. The second slug has you wondering if you want to do it again. The third slug rattles a molar loose and the fourth slug is shot only to prove to yourself that you are indeed a man. The 5th slug is left in the box because you aren't stupid.

Any suggestions?
My thoughts are to grind down some of the trigger guard to give more clearance on the right side. Make it more inline with trigger and not so wide.

Shorten the trigger a little and put a shoe on it.
Get a Sorbothane® Pad.

I like your idea Dyjital of reshaping the trigger guard.
Also smoothing out the triggers might help.
Does the stock fit you okay? I had a SxS that knocked the snot out of me , until I brought the comb of the stock down.
It seems like a lot of guns come in the "one size fits none" size.
Andy

I use a little rubbing alcohol on a q-tip on the ends of my fingers a few times a day every time I pick up playing the guitar again.

I have the same issue with dishes making my hands unmanly.

Since it appears the problem is on the pad of your trigger finger it seems that you must have a 20 pound+ trigger pull. Practice drawing a 35-40 pound recurve bow with just your trigger finger, it will toughen up. ;)

@xtratoy, thanks. Used to do archery before shoulders went bad. I'm hoping to pick it up again when I can, I'm a few months out from trying as I just had surgery on Dec 2nd.

image.jpeg
Really felt like a wuss but man it really is a deep one. Curse you dawn dish soap!!

I'm glad I can share my shortcomings with you all. I won't mention the abuse my middle finger took from the backside of the trigger guard... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

image.jpeg

I'm not understanding how this is happening?

Mounting gun solid to shoulder?

Only one finger in the trigger guard?

Is it pinching between tip of trigger and guard? If so starighten trigger a tad and move finger higher on face of trigger?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top