JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I'm done cleaning there usually is a nice size pile of very black oily patches by the time it comes up clean. I throw them away.
Every piece of info found to date on the Otis bore cleaner shows a relatively clean cord being pulled through the barrel. What happens next is no where to be found. Am I pulling the last grungy guns worth of crap through my next barrel? Do I have to wash it or otherwise clean it before the next use?
Nether of those scenarios I find attractive.
Anyone with hands on willing to expound will receive my attention.
Thank you kindly

I'm with you on the opinion of bore snakes. People say "Wash Them". Washing that much oily black grunge out of the material would seem to be a pain? If they didn't cost $12.00-$14.00 you could just throw them away.

I'm curious to see what others do, too.
I have an unused Bore Snake that lives in my gun bag. I keep it "just in case".
I've never (well most of the time never) minded using patches because I can tell when it's getting sparkly clean. What do you do with a Bore Snake? Just run it through a few times and call it good?

I try to keep a bore snake in the pistol grip of my rifle for just in case scenarios. It's not the primary cleaning tool

I also have an unused boar snake or two. Just seems like a quick field cleaning tool too me. Nothing to really scrub with. I guess you wash and dry. I wouldn't put grungy crap into another firearm.

Funny thing. I was in Bi Mart and overhead a guy telling his friend ,that was new to guns, that a boar snake was all he needed to maintain his firearms. I really had to bite my tongue.

I only use a bore snake if I don't feel like doing a squeaky clean in the bore. Other than that I just keep it in the stock in case too much mud or something gets in the bore during a hunting trip.

Keeping it in the stock sounds like a "black gun" situation whereas I'm wood, for rifles anyway.
Nonetheless, I see its potential as emergency or battlefield get back in the action sort of thing albeit the video quip I saw on their web site on removing "obstructions" obviously are not talking about squibs.
For this reason, I'll leave the bore snakes to the competition and war machines and stay with the traditional screw together rods, attachments, and cotton patches. I have used the same rifle and pistol break down assembly that I assume is a military unit which has every thing I need from 1911 to 12 ga and it is in a green slim bag about 3" X 8" with two compartments and unneeded utility belt attachment that my uncle gave me 55 years ago, however I'm on my second bag. I bought a nice looking unit in a pretty aluminum mini brief case box but never seem to drag it out opting for the one that snuggles in my range bag so nice. It even came with plastic bore guides (I lost a couple) as the rods are steel however I never use them.
All this stuff fits in this tiny bag so having never needed more for my entire life to date, I'm staying with what works and let the young bucks play with the hi-tech stuff..
IMGP0335.JPG

I exclusively use bore snakes.

A: don't wet your barrel when running a snake down it.

B: the carbon gunk built up will dust off the snake.

C: I have yet to see gunk transfer from one barrel to the next.

D: one minute of a bore snake (4-5 passes) is more efficient than 5 minutes with a rod and patches.

I exclusively use bore snakes.

A: don't wet your barrel when running a snake down it.

B: the carbon gunk built up will dust off the snake.

C: I have yet to see gunk transfer from one barrel to the next.

D: one minute of a bore snake (4-5 passes) is more efficient than 5 minutes with a rod and patches.
Not wetting with solvents did not appear in my minds eye, makes perfect sense now, and could be a game changer were I not frozen in time.
Thanks for the insight.

Not wetting with solvents did not appear in my minds eye, makes perfect sense now, and could be a game changer were I not frozen in time.
Thanks for the insight.
The "average" bore snake is quivalent to 150+ Patches run through.

I was skeptical but then bought one for my .22 LR's. wow. What about my .40 that I shoot cast through... clean! One pass each. Didn't get all the way clean? Run it again.

Really a time saver and again is more effective for the time spent. Isn't that why we load on a progressive press? To save time?

That has a hollow place in the stock for the bore snake as others alluded to above? I wasn't aware. Still, I'm too old for war and prefer other toys for hunting.
There is a hollow hole for a cleaning kit. Solvents are supposed to be in a can in a leather pouch. The SKS makes a good hunting rifle. If I get another rifle with a wooden stock I'd probably shave a hollow hole for a bore snake.

The "average" bore snake is quivalent to 150+ Patches run through.

I was skeptical but then bought one for my .22 LR's. wow. What about my .40 that I shoot cast through... clean! One pass each. Didn't get all the way clean? Run it again.

Really a time saver and again is more effective for the time spent. Isn't that why we load on a progressive press? To save time?
Seems like it would be better for your bore too... less passes & no metal rods banging up your lans. I have used an Otis exclusively on my newest .223 wylde barrel. I bought it so I could quickly clean at the range every few rounds when I was breaking it in. It was a nice tight fit and got it squeaky clean. must have worked OK enough.... by the end of the day I was getting clover leafs at 100 using ball ammo.

I use bore snakes all the time just drag it through then put some lube cleaner on it CPL then drag it again after hundreds or even a thousand rounds then I get out the full clean kit of course I do the bolt carrier and inside trigger different but the barrel come on man I'm not shooting at any thing that requires a full Cooper clean every time

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top