JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another SB 941 success story! :rolleyes:

Parenthetically, this kind of reminds me of ATF's eForms system towards the end for Trusts (41F) being able to file Form1s. I managed to get one application in just over 48-hours before the deadline. I checked back several times during the last day and saw a myriad of error messages until it was replaced with a simple HTML page saying they didn't know when it was coming back. ;)

This has me worried that if at any time we could have "outtages" in regards to FICS/NICS about how well it would be enforced or how long it would take for people to try and "fix" the problem. Look how reliant its made us upon something that could crap out at any moment. Also minimalist oversight in terms of quality put into both the process of collecting and the verification and integrity of the systems used. All we know is that we need it to buy and $10 of our money goes towards 30 some odd people sitting in an office somewhere saying Yes/No just so we can hope to ease minds about gun violence.

The system was down for 8:30hrs today.
by my prior figures 302,422 oregonians have a gun or have purchased within the last year.

Now lets say they are buying a street price of $500 for Gun "x", well ya can't buy it if FICS is down stalling sales since sales pend post FICS approval.
Include the $10 for FICS check.

10x302,422 = $3,024,220 lost in FICS alone. Of course this is Annually. But what if everyone of those people decided to go buy a gun that day same time.

From their unit overview:

Funding Including Core Services, the 2015-17 biennial budget for the Firearms program is $6.3 million total funds ($1 million General Fund related to Package 4002 Firearms staffing from the February 2016 session, $3 million Other Funds for the Firearms program, $2.3 million Other Funds for Core Services*). *Includes 2011-13 legislative policy decision to have the fee programs pay for a portion of Core Services. Core Services are comprised of the Automated Biometric Identification Systems (ABIS) and the Computerized Criminal History (CCH) programs.

Last Edited:
E4mafia ...

Designed to crap out at any moment by design and intent. BY DESIGN. And at the worse possible time. By design. By intent?

Consider the above for a minute. Now consider the complete opposite of the above. Examples. Fire Departments at the maximum and police departments maybe less of the maximum. This means fail safe public safety agencies.

Agencies through history, design and intent to not fail at crucial moments of time. Fire Departments in particular. My old fire outfit went to extraordinary efforts not to fail at exactly the wrong time. Expensive. Exhaustive. ISO Class I.

Police agencies perhaps less so? Maybe more politically driven and controlled? Dunno about that. Maybe. Now we have a State Agency controlling A BASIC GUARANTEE AS SPECIFICALLY WRITTEN IN THE UNTIED STATES CONSTITUTION.

And what do they do? Under staff. Under fund. Under command and control. A sub section of a very lousy State Safety Agency that historically and now today exhibits on going FAILURE TO PERFORM. If it had been my old fire department?

Fired. No probation. No paid suspension. Just fired. Gone with the wind. Failure to perform. But this was 40 years ago. What has happened to the USA Constitutional mandate and OATH OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE US CONSTITUTION?

Rant completed.

It was not just OSP backgrounds, the entire state network was down. My wife couldn't sell fishing licenses or tags, and the ODFW hotlines went to voicemail. She said when it came back online for them, there were 356 background checks in que already with OSP.

This shows why UBC is horrible. There is zero backup in place, and these incidents can happen all the time.

Rant ...

Absolutely unbelievable. No back ups? No back ups to the back ups? No back ups to the back ups to the back ups? Please do not tell me now that this was all by design and intent?

However ... the problem persists that the monkeys are in control of the zoo. How is it possible that such a failed system could even exist today? Don't tell me. I do not want to know. :( :(

And this is how you use UBC's to backdoor-shutdown all gun sales...

That is my true worry is that its a type of dead mans switch to be used as a type of panic button to ensure a large portion of the populace cannot legally arm themselves and would then be charged under criminal prosecute if ever there was civil unrest or leading to it.

C'mon, guys, learn to think like a Deep State cryptofascist--every time they demand new power ask yourselves, "what's the worst possible way this could be cynically exploited?"

@E4mafia We *know* the b*stards have *already* done far worse to us through our history in the name of "national security," including back in the '50s shooting kids up with radioactive materials and even diseases just to see what happened, and let's not get into JCS Chairman Lemnitzer advocating using the US military to murder US citizens (if I were JFK I'd have capped his trash right there in the Oval Office when he pitched this as part of Operation Northwoods) in false-flag attacks as pretext for war with Cuba.
Operation Northwoods - Wikipedia
IMO every man responsible for planning this, even though it didn't go forward, should have been hanged as a traitor to his uniform... and then hung from DC lamp-posts "pour encourager les autres" like Admiral Byng from the yardarm of his own former flagship.

"We are going to have to raise the background check fee to cover the cost of replacing the outdated system. It simply was not designed to keep up with the number of checks performed these days."

Does that mean the FFL dealer selling the firearm just has to wait 3 business days and if he does not hear from NICS can he then legally transfer the firearm? I am not sure on this.

My first knee jerk reaction here is that this is politically motivated. Get used to it. We ain't seen nothing yet. Consider what the State may do. Consider what they CAN DO. Oh boy. :(
That is my understanding, silence equals consent.

There you go. An example of why mandatory universal BGCs is a bad idea.

"A RIGHT DELAYED, IS A RIGHT DENIED."

Actually, a RIGHT where you have to ask permission, doesn't even sound like a RIGHT. Anyway.....I'm glad that I didn't have plans to go to Rickreall, OR for their gun show today (possible long gun purchase).

Aloha, Mark
Sounds like a good way to mess with gun show sales, just say'n! :eek:o_O

What would you possibly expect from state leaders(?) that have already wasted 10 tons of OUR TAX MONEY on a new statewide go fast computer system that we never got a working model of???

And, let us not forget that these same leaders(?) could not be bothered to even try to retrieve the money that was paid for a product that we did not get! Oh, I forgot, they just took more money from those of us that work, so that they could waste more money! :(:eek::rolleyes:

I was told at one of our LGS yesterday in Portland that the background system was down (He didn't specifiy if at the state or fed level).

Did anyone else run into any trouble yesterday?

From the FICS page: FICS

06/14/18 @ 1430
LEDS, A STATE DATABASE REQUIRED FOR CONDUCTING BACKGROUND CHECKS, IS CURRENTLY
OUT OF SERVICE. THIS DATABASE IS REQUIRED AND THE OUTAGE IS CAUSING A DELAY IN
PROCESSING BACKGROUND CHECKS. ONCE THE DATABASE BECOMES AVAILABLE, WE WILL
PROCESS ALL BACKGROUND CHECKS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.
OSP FICS UNIT

Note the time of posting is merely a time that the unit became aware of the issue, not when it started. See OP for reference.

Thanks E4mafia... In addition last weeks 6/9 outage also impacted medicaid and medicare claim processing. I thought it had been resolved Sunday. I have no idea if that one and this one were related.

Thanks for posting the service provider. I'll make sure not to contract with them if they ever cross my desk.

Can't wait until there are a million of us standing in line with out wheel barrows and garden carts full of firearms to be registered because morons managed to get IP43 made into law. Won't that be fun?

Can't wait until there are a million of us standing in line with out wheel barrows and garden carts full of firearms to be registered because morons managed to get IP43 made into law. Won't that be fun?

The New York SAFE act went into effect in 2013 - compliance, to date, is still under 10% - and that's in a state where many folks love the government. CT passed gun registration in 2013 as well. Compliance there is still no better than 10%. LA County passed magazine bans with mandatory turn in - last I checked, they had received ZERO. Bump stock bans in MD have had similar results.

There will always be a few that will go along with whatever is passed, but in reality, the states simply don't have the means to enforce these laws on any large scale. The folks that get in trouble will be those that do something stupid or illegal and get caught and will simply have charges added on under the new laws.

These laws only work when a majority of folks comply. I am quite certain Oregon will be no different than any other state that's attempted similar things - 10% or so compliance, the rest, quietly go underground and keep what they own.

I don't expect it to happen even if the bill passes

Same here.

The New York SAFE act went into effect in 2013 - compliance, to date, is still under 10% - and that's in a state where many folks love the government. CT passed gun registration in 2013 as well. Compliance there is still no better than 10%. LA County passed magazine bans with mandatory turn in - last I checked, they had received ZERO. Bump stock bans in MD have had similar results.

There will always be a few that will go along with whatever is passed, but in reality, the states simply don't have the means to enforce these laws on any large scale. The folks that get in trouble will be those that do something stupid or illegal and get caught and will simply have charges added on under the new laws.

These laws only work when a majority of folks comply. I am quite certain Oregon will be no different than any other state that's attempted similar things - 10% or so compliance, the rest, quietly go underground and keep what they own.

Same here.

So your saying this new firearms law will be as effective as the CELL PHONE LAW. I drive dump truck I can see down in to all but the highest pickups. And I can tell you easily 1 in 4 people are holding their phone in their hand and at least 1 in 5-6 of them are texting at stops and 1 in 10 are talking with then either held out in front of them or up to their ears.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top