JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon State Police on Twitter

OSP tweeted this a couple hours ago and says they have "No timeline for resolution is known"

Anyone can report the same? Any sales or transfers not going through?

The actual FICS page:
FICS

06/09/18 @ 2:44

Around 7:30 am the state network experienced a failure. The State Data
Center is still working to resolve the issue. This outage is having a direct impact
to all services that utilize internet and network connections on the state
system. This includes phones and the databases used for background checks.

Transactions that are submitted will be processed as soon as possible when the
system becomes available.

inb4 someone DDOS'd that particular server they used, who dun it!?

Last Edited:
I can verify, I drove from Eugene to Woodburn to buy a gun from a member of the forum at 10:30 am, and we waited quite a while to see if the system would come online. He went home, and the wife and I went shopping in the area for a few more hours just in case, and to avoid having to make the drive again on Monday, but finally gave up and came home. Hopefully, by Monday it will be up and running, and I can drive all the way back up there to get my gun.

I can verify, I drove from Eugene to Woodburn to buy a gun from a member of the forum at 10:30 am, and we waited quite a while to see if the system would come online. He went home, and the wife and I went shopping in the area for a few more hours just in case, and to avoid having to make the drive again on Monday, but finally gave up and came home. Hopefully, by Monday it will be up and running, and I can drive all the way back up there to get my gun.

Sorry to hear about the stall on purchase. Hope you get what you want soon enough.

Thanks, stuff happens, Im sure it will all be good by Monday, but then I will have to make the trip solo, as my wife will be working.

Does that mean the FFL dealer selling the firearm just has to wait 3 business days and if he does not hear from NICS can he then legally transfer the firearm? I am not sure on this.

My first knee jerk reaction here is that this is politically motivated. Get used to it. We ain't seen nothing yet. Consider what the State may do. Consider what they CAN DO. Oh boy. :(

My first knee jerk reaction here is that this is politically motivated. Get used to it. We ain't seen nothing yet. Consider what the State may do. Consider what they CAN DO. Oh boy. :(
kinda feel the same way, this state is rated 11th :eek: in the political corruption list that I googled yesterday....go demorats

There you go. An example of why mandatory universal BGCs is a bad idea.

"A RIGHT DELAYED, IS A RIGHT DENIED."

Actually, a RIGHT where you have to ask permission, doesn't even sound like a RIGHT. Anyway.....I'm glad that I didn't have plans to go to Rickreall, OR for their gun show today (possible long gun purchase).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
UPDATE!

6/9/18 @ 4:00 PM

The network and phones are back up and functioning intermittently. Background
checks are being processed in the order they are received.

So 8hrs and 30mins later the system seems to be working again. A full work day worth of effort without a lunch break. Funny enough its at such precise times too. 0730 - 1600.

Once is coincidence, Twice is happenstance. Three times is enemy action. Day of week. Hours of day. Type of stoppage. Type of corrective action. No. Wait. That is four things. :(

E4mafia; Thank you for that site. Seems to me they should staff higher on Saturdays and less on the slowest week days. Also interesting they staff to meet the minimums required by State Statute? Also the NICS phones are not staffed 24/7/365?

So it seems OK that our Constitutional Guarantees are abused by State Statute but it is also OK to further abuse by not addressing the rights of gun buyers? The whole thing is so bad. Do we have permission police to obtain the right to make a free speech?

Or permission police to worship the God of our choice? Wow. State Police permission to exercise a Constitutional Guarantee? Either we have full Constitutional Guarantees or we do not. No half way measures. They say guns are dangerous. What about words?

For those curious:

IT Management & Tech Support Phoenix | Enterprise Technology Services

This is the service FICS goes through to process/handle requests as stated by OSP and the Oregon.gov site.

Only caught all this because I scrolled twitter. The alert was put out 5hrs ago. So they were down at 0730, tweeted out about it at 1230 and then finally got it back up around 1600.

Still haven't seen an official all clear announcement yet other than the FICS site stating it was working "intermittently".
All they claimed was that it was a state wide network outage at the company i linked above.

Going by OSP's statistics of FICS/NICS law abiding gun purchases both FFL and Private sales to the entire population of Oregon as of 2017 via wikipedia thats:

(Keep in mind this is going off one years gun sales alone and not entire final estimate)

302,725 (FFL/Private state wide circa 2016)
4,142,776 (Oregon total population via wikipedia circa 2017)

7.307298294670048% (yeah I cheated using an online % calculator haha)
7.3% of 4142776=302422.648
92.7% Are not on record or are unknown if even owning or in proximity.
Pretty sure that 92% is also prior to 1994 with the brady law and oregons FICS in 2015.

For bubblegums and giggles lets just double that 7.3% for the folk that have been around the block prior to gun control bills etc and this now puts OR's total *estimated* to:
604,845 14.6% out of the 4,142,776 total population.

Keep in mind this is all from the latest 2016 OSP report of FICS gun sales both FFL and Private party and not an entire estimate of the gross population to modern times.

According to Concealed Carry Statistics: Quick Facts by State (2017)

256,943 OR CHL
4,142,776 Total population
6.20% have a valid OR CHL

256,943 oregonians have a CHL
302,422 oregonians have a gun (remember according to FICS only 2016)
84.96% of those will have a CHL.

Doubled:
256,943 OR CHL's
604,845 Owners in state (one year)
42.48% of those will have a CHL

604,845 Owners
4,142,776 Total population (2017)
14.59% Own guns in the state

Interesting.

Last Edited:
I wonder what the financial set back was for 8:30hrs of no sales was to FFL's and other businesses.
Time is money

Yeah, it took AGES today waiting on hold on the telephone for a private transfer today at the Rickreall gun show... like literally SEVEN HOURS on hold, but we got 'er done!

FRAK YOU State of Oregon!!! :s0118:

We drove right by there today on the way to Monmouth. Saw there was a gun show and was tempted for a moment to stop in.

Glad I did my business Thursday night. :cool: This happened to me a couple months ago when I had done a purchase at an ffl in Washington. Sucks having to drive alll the way back.

Another SB 941 success story! :rolleyes:

Parenthetically, this kind of reminds me of ATF's eForms system towards the end for Trusts (41F) being able to file Form1s. I managed to get one application in just over 48-hours before the deadline. I checked back several times during the last day and saw a myriad of error messages until it was replaced with a simple HTML page saying they didn't know when it was coming back. ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top