JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wanting to do a trade with an OR resident. What are our options? It would be a rifle transfer to OR, and a handgun to WA. I know I can just have both shipped from an FFL, but I have heard an OR resident can come here to transfer. Just looking for clarification! Would love to save on shipping if possible lol.

Wanting to do a trade with an OR resident. What are our options? It would be a rifle transfer to OR, and a handgun to WA. I know I can just have both shipped from an FFL, but I have heard an OR resident can come here to transfer. Just looking for clarification! Would love to save on shipping if possible lol.
The biggest problem will be you and the handgun. To get it you have to pass the BGC and then wait for the state. Depending on where you live, city or county, the FFL has to hear an OK from either the Sheriff or Chief of Police. The FFL has to give them 10 business days to give them the proceed or denied or delayed. At the end of 10 days the FFL COULD let you have the gun if they have no heard. Some will do this, many will not. Its easy for this to take 30 days or more. So the FFL here will have to be willing to hold this sale up for you waiting for this. So the time to find out is BEFORE you start. Ask the FFL you choose how they will handle this.

The biggest problem will be you and the handgun. To get it you have to pass the BGC and then wait for the state. Depending on where you live, city or county, the FFL has to hear an OK from either the Sheriff or Chief of Police. The FFL has to give them 10 business days to give them the proceed or denied or delayed. At the end of 10 days the FFL COULD let you have the gun if they have no heard. Some will do this, many will not. Its easy for this to take 30 days or more. So the FFL here will have to be willing to hold this sale up for you waiting for this. So the time to find out is BEFORE you start. Ask the FFL you choose how they will handle this.
Thank you for the info, just looking for the legality for out of state transfers to OR. I have filled out so many 4473's, I could do then blindfolded lol

Yes, it is
Handgun HAS to be transferred via an FFL in the BUYERS home state. Shipped or in person.

Long guns do not, however that newish semiautomatic law up in Washington MAY cause issues for an Oregonian doing a purchase up in WA. No idea honestly.

Seems "easiest" to transfer the long gun in OR, and have the FFL ship the handgun to your FFL up in WA.

Oregonian may have to wait due to the backlog background check Queue anyways. However they wouldn't have to head back to WA once cleared.

You'd have to wait regardless if shipped, or face to face on the handgun.

Handgun HAS to be transferred via an FFL in the BUYERS home state. Shipped or in person.

Long guns do not, however that newish semiautomatic law up in Washington MAY cause issues for an Oregonian doing a purchase up in WA. No idea honestly.

Seems "easiest" to transfer the long gun in OR, and have the FFL ship the handgun to your FFL up in WA.

Oregonian may have to wait due to the backlog background check Queue anyways. However they wouldn't have to head back to WA once cleared.

You'd have to wait regardless if shipped, or face to face on the handgun.
That's the answer I was looking for! So they can come up here to transfer the pistol, would save him a bit of money on shipping. Now, I gotta figure out the rifle situation, could I go to OR with it(safe transportation of course) and transfer to him at an FFL on the Clackamas side?

Yeah, I understand WA's laws very well, Oregon? Not so much lol. Still haven't had a shop up here hold for longer than 10 days. Heard of some holding until they get a proceed, but rare

Thank you for the info, just looking for the legality for out of state transfers to OR. I have filled out so many 4473's, I could do then blindfolded lol
"Wanting to do a trade with an OR resident. What are our options? It would be a rifle transfer to OR, and a handgun to WA.":confused:
Are you sure you understand what you are asking for here then???
Doing the "trade" where the firearm is going to OR is rather simple assuming the OR resident wants to just get the rifle in their state. The big hang up for you is the hand gun in WA state. Does not matter that it's a trade. Assuming you live in WA as it shows, you want a hand gun, as you say? The 4473 is not the hold up. Have you bought a hand gun in WA in the last couple years? Buying or "trading" is the same thing. For a WA resident to get a hand gun through an FFL the 4473 is NOT the part that causes the hold up. We (WA) used to be able if we had a CPL to just have an FFL run us on BGC and transfer. It's not like that any more, has not been for a while. It's no longer just rill out the 4473 and walk away with the hand gun. You really should talk to an FFL here if you want to transfer a hand gun here, BEFORE you get started then find out you can't just do a simple transfer here any more.

"Wanting to do a trade with an OR resident. What are our options? It would be a rifle transfer to OR, and a handgun to WA.":confused:
Are you sure you understand what you are asking for here then???
Doing the "trade" where the firearm is going to OR is rather simple assuming the OR resident wants to just get the rifle in their state. The big hang up for you is the hand gun in WA state. Does not matter that it's a trade. Assuming you live in WA as it shows, you want a hand gun, as you say? The 4473 is not the hold up. Have you bought a hand gun in WA in the last couple years? Buying or "trading" is the same thing. For a WA resident to get a hand gun through an FFL the 4473 is NOT the part that causes the hold up. We (WA) used to be able if we had a CPL to just have an FFL run us on BGC and transfer. It's not like that any more, has not been for a while. It's no longer just rill out the 4473 and walk away with the hand gun. You really should talk to an FFL here if you want to transfer a hand gun here, BEFORE you get started then find out you can't just do a simple transfer here any more.
I understand all of that. I buy and sell all of the time. I have never traded out of state before, that is all. Thank you

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top