JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have had an Oregon non-resident Mother May I Card for some years, time to renew. Requruirement is to attend in person, get new prints photo, sign renewal, pay their bribe. I got my first one in COlumbia County, at the Sheriffs' office in st. Helens, Renewal was easy.. show up, wait for available officer, took ten minutes, had renewed Card in mail five days later. No appointment needed.

NOW must be new sheriff in town, or a county council leaning on them. One MUST make an appointment, which are several months out. For me, its a five hour round trip to go there and renew. I tried yesterday without an appointment, as in the past, but the snarly desk jockey said I MUST make an apponintment.

I see on the form to renew a row of tickboxes up top, to indicate why you are applying. Renewal, tick. Change of county is another..

WHAT does it take to move my permit to another county, question one.

Question two, what OTHER counties near Portland are civilised when it comes to renewals? And what is the general attitide in these counties currently for non-resident permits, and for changing county of record to theirs?

WHen I first got my non-res permit, Multnomah was hopeless, Clackamas had recently got a new sheriff who seemed to be OK with non-res cards, but knowing that cound change made me chary of applying there.

What is the current "climate" in Clackamas? How about Washington, Hood River, Yamhill, Marion?
I DO NOT want to continue for months disarmed whenever I am in Portland...... or travel through Oregon.

Any current news would be appreciated.

A buddy an myself came up for renewal last year (?) Drove across to Multnomah County office expecting the fifth-degree treatment.

Walked in. Asked where to get renewal done. Followed instructions. Waited for a few minutes for our turn. Went up and met with the gal. Walked out.

No hassle. No fifth-degree. Only smiles and pleasantries.

Clackamas is generally friendly to CHL holders, but I don't know if they issue non-resident CHL's. That's up to each county to decide. That said, even for residents, they do require setting up an appointment, which is what I had to do last time I renewed. I think it's just one person that does the work, so it makes sense that an appointment would be required. I think Clackamas has online renewals available now? Not sure about that as last time I had to renew in person. I'll find out on the next renewal.

Renewal through Multnomah county was a breeze. Their FAQ says they issue permits to Multnomah County Residents and Washington State.

Just renewed mine through Multnomah County last week (I am a WA resident). Couldn't have been easier. I was second in line, got my form and filled it out, returned it to the first guy, waited my turn for the second guy to take photo and money (exact change appreciated, they have limited petty cash), lady took fingerprints, they gave me a receipt that is good until I get my card in the mail. Wasn't there twenty minutes total. Everyone friendly and accommodating. They do have limited hours (see website) but other than that no appointment necessary. My initial application and all renewals have been the same treatment. Always friendly and helpful.

Multnomah is easy to deal with at least if you already have a permit from another county (I had a grant county permit and when they decided not to renew non resident permits I renewed in multnomah and was in and out pretty quickly but they have very limited hours that they take applications). Last I checked clackamas will not issue to non residents for any reason.

i wish OR issue permit to permanent resident people like WA. well, i can always apply for citizenship first but never got around to do it. :p

from the link you supplied:
You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature.

When I applied for my first one in Columbia COunty the sheriff did want a statement answering the question of WHY I wanted one from HIS county as opposed to some other counthy. That was easy. and my simple statement made himm happy.

Now they are going Californa and Maryland on me.... must be compelling in nature". Not sure what HE will find "compelling" and not sure I want to find out.

From the responses here I believe I will stop by and pay the friendly folks at Multnomah County Sheriff's Office and let THEM take my mordita to get my Mother May I Card.....

Columbia sounds like they've gone wonky left. We MIGHT approve if you really convince us.

from the link you supplied:
You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature.

When I applied for my first one in Columbia COunty the sheriff did want a statement answering the question of WHY I wanted one from HIS county as opposed to some other counthy. That was easy. and my simple statement made himm happy.

Now they are going Californa and Maryland on me.... must be compelling in nature". Not sure what HE will find "compelling" and not sure I want to find out.

From the responses here I believe I will stop by and pay the friendly folks at Multnomah County Sheriff's Office and let THEM take my mordita to get my Mother May I Card.....

Columbia sounds like they've gone wonky left. We MIGHT approve if you really convince us.

When I moved to Vancouver from Renton I was required to notify the Columbia County sheriff of the change of address (I think that's true of all CHLs in Oregon). Effectively I had to renew early which I did, they sent me a new CHL with my new address. I was not required to write any new letter stating why I needed to have a CHL nor did I need letters of recommendation, nor proof of taking an approved class. All I was asked to do is fill out the form stating not a felon etc and mail it in with the fee. Couple weeks later I had the replacement. I'm hoping this is how it will work when it comes time to renew. But I will call and ask them what the procedure is these days.

That's about what I said when they asked me WHY Columbia COunty. Thatworked then. But then the point to make was only WHY my county?

Now the subject matter of the letter is radically changed. Now they want some "compelling reason" to even have an Oregon Mother May I Card. Different critter.
"So WHY do you think you need to be armed when you frequently visit those family and friends in MY county? Are you someone special, are you at a particularly high risk, such as travelling with large amounts of cash or valuables? Make me believe you MUST be armed in Oregon......"

Nope. My mind is set, I'm going to a different county. They don't even want a letter."You want a permit? OK fine, pay the fee and here you go.

I had a very pleasant conversation with the Columbia County sheriff's office this afternoon. I do need to make an appointment, which is now running about 5 weeks out, fill out the online form, show up with my WA CPL, OR CHL and $60. That's it.

As far as CC sheriff becoming more picky I can't really speak to that. My house is 5 minutes north of the I-5 bridge into OR. We run our boat up and down the river all the time, even to St Helens, OR, right where the sheriff does his thing. I have a customer in Clackamas. So, maybe it's a bit easier to 'splain.

On the other hand, when Multnomah and Clackamas counties were more or less telling non-res applicants to go pound sand, sheriff Dickerson's team was at WAC shows in Puyallup almost recruiting applicants. The whole thing seemed kinda odd to me but hey, I'm just an applicant. The lines were so long at the WAC shows it was easier for me to stop by St Helens in person and get my permit. Maybe there has been some push back from the political class in OR for this, no idea. Lets keep in mind that WA and OR seem hell bent these days on being more oppressive towards the Second Amendment than their crazy uncle CA.

All that being said, if an applicant finds a sheriff that doesn't ask the probative, unsavory questions, by all means apply there.

The application in Multnomah County asks for a "compelling reason" also. Although asking for permission to use a right is BS the sky is not falling. Tionico do you have a "compelling reason" to think they will not issue just because they do not like your reason?

We all see what we see when it comes to government regulations. When I parsed the questions asked for acquiring a non-resident CHL permit, particularity as it pertained to personal references, they seemed to be focused on tendency towards quick-to-anger and violence.

Regardless of whether the rules are right, wrong, constitutional or not, when you are CEO you are responsible for your decisions.

So what questions would you ask if you were CEO?

The County Commissioners don't seem to be friendly toward the 2nd Amendment anymore. They were petitioned to make Columbia County a Gun-Safe, Pro-2nd Amendment sanctuary and they refused. That is why Chris Brumbles started the "Columbia County Second Amendment Preservation Ordinance." It is on the Ballot for Columbia County in November 2018.

Making appointments has been in effect for many years. They make it pretty easy online, or appointment free Saturdays.

I haven't been paying attention to any changes in the Sherriff's Department. I don't know why they are making it more difficult, unless there is a push from the County. It is tough enough to concealed carry for out of state residents since Oregon doesn't recognize any other state - no reciprocity.

Making appointments has been in effect for many years. They make it pretty easy online, or appointment free Saturdays.
when I first applied some ten years ago for non resident carry "permit" I did not need to make an appointment. When I renewed four years later, no appointment needed. I had called ahead, and the nice friendly guy said "just come on in, we'll take care of you".
My beef about the appointment is that it is a five hour round trip for me to show up.St. Helens is NOT on my normal route any more. That adds more time if I have stuff to do in Portland, which I've had lately. To make an appointment weeks or months out will typicaly mean I have to drive that five hours JUST to beg again for a right I already have. Can't piggyback it on other errands.In short, their demanding an appointment means I do without until that comes round (weeks, or months) AND either make that trip JUST for that reason, or perhaps, IF I can wrangle some other things to line up as well, need to cut short time in Portland to drive out the river and get my silly piece of paper.

It appears I can just drop in at MCSO during the half day period when they are processing CHL applications...... many have reported being in out and done in less than half an hour. I was six blocks away from where they handle the CHL's on Monday...but at the wrong time of day. I get down there fairly often, I know right where the office is, and its in a part of town I often travel to. It might add considerably less than an hour to the day's agenda.

Columbia COunty want to make it hard for me to renew, I'll make it hard for them to get their grubby paws into my money poke.

Columbia County just announced this.

From 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM we will be allowing Columbia County, Oregon and Washington Residents to come in on a first come first serve basis to get processed for their CHL. That's right no appointment!

If you have any further questions about the process please refer to our CHL website http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=53 or you can call 503.366.4611.
Upcoming Dates
AUG25
Sat 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
2 people interested

InterestedGoing

View Event
SEP29
Sat 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
4 people interested

InterestedGoing

View Event
OCT27