JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In any state, it's sad that many of those "Don't Text and Drive" billboards are never even seen.

They are ignored by motorists staring down at the dashboard, completely absorbed in their "hands-free" Bluetooth, Aha, Pandora, Starlink, GPS, Sirius, iTunes, 10-speaker surround-sound interactive touch-screen displays.

Just turning that crap OFF takes 4 distinct actions in my new car, which I do immediately as part of starting the engine. But I'm a distinct minority in that respect.

A huge portion of this technology addicted generation never actually learned how to "just drive" in the first place, nor will they ever. Operating a motor vehicle is a distraction - a distant second priority when seated at the attention-sucking controls of a rolling high definition laptop.

That's why they have voice commands! ;)
I use the feature quite a bit. Let's me keep my eye on the road and still do what i want.

I drive a tractor-trailer for a living. I go from Clackamas to Seattle and back every day. I have now been driving TT for almost 20 years, and believe it or not, I will take Seattle traffic over Portland traffic EVERY DAY!!!

At least in the greater Seattle area, there are more highways and freeways, with more lanes, as well as lots of good non freeway streets to get around. I only get to Downtown Seattle once a week, as I mostly stay in the Kent, Tukwila, Renton and very south end of Seattle areas.

The main thing I notice is people not looking to the left as they are merging onto the freeway until the last possible second. This is one big reason I will not be in the far right lane in traffic on the freeway.

Merging is supposed to be seamless, with the merging car matching the speed of traffic. But mostly this is a personal and vehicularly mental challenge. Move your head people, see what is happening around you.....

Also, for those who like to cut in front of, or go from the far left to the far right lane(or vice versa) in front of a tractor trailer, just remember tractor trailers can stop on a dime, or in most cases on the car cutting them off......
---------------------------------------------------------------
The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

I too drive tt I've just started not slowing or speeding up, I figure its there responsibility if they have to come to a complete stop oh well.
They don't have a clue they'll honk like its my fault, that they can't merge correctly!!
PS it my biggest pet peeve driving!!

Stacy

Some states have started state wide campaigns to educate drivers in the art of merging.
It's called "Zippering" and when a lane merges from three lanes to two, or traffic enters from an on ramp, a lot of drivers won't let the merging vehicle into their lane, or especially if traffic is slow, they close up ranks so as to not let the guy blasting up to the very end of the merging lane and trying to squeeze in at the very last second.
Studies have proven that if you let vehicles merge ahead of you, it speeds up traffic considerably, but humans have issues with this concept and the generals reaction is "Hey Bub, get in line behind me, I was here first".

It says you drove 10 whole miles. lol

Well I have to say the 15 I drove from the place I grew up is a world of difference. People are snobby and I am the poor guy on my block. I like it that way. The neighbors have to ask themselves how I got into their neighborhood at my "young" age as they are all retired.
All it means to me is they leave me the hell alone. Being a NE Portland kid they do not want to mess with me! I did get jumped twice growing up there. Second time I won.... won meaning my dad and older brother came and whooped the thugs arse! These folks do not stand a chance so they just hide in their house and ask "what is he doing, why is he mowing his own yard??!!!"

Sorry but I refuse to pay some dummy to trim my grass no matter what my neighbors do. My lawn looks better than theirs.

Well I have to say the 15 I drove from the place I grew up is a world of difference. People are snobby and I am the poor guy on my block. I like it that way. The neighbors have to ask themselves how I got into their neighborhood at my "young" age as they are all retired.
All it means to me is they leave me the hell alone. Being a NE Portland kid they do not want to mess with me! I did get jumped twice growing up there. Second time I won.... won meaning my dad and older brother came and whooped the thugs arse! These folks do not stand a chance so they just hide in their house and ask "what is he doing, why is he mowing his own yard??!!!"

Sorry but I refuse to pay some dummy to trim my grass no matter what my neighbors do. My lawn looks better than theirs.

I wouldn't live in that neighborhood. I live in a low middle class neighborhood and I couldn't have better neighbors. We all take the time to stop and talk. We walk our dogs and build a good community by helping each other. We all watch out for each other.

Voice works on mine too. A button under my thumb on the steering wheel lets me "Call Mommy." And I love it. But let's not BS each other that everyone is keeping it that simple.

I only wish they did. I have to say, i've seen it all.
My favorite has got to be the guy i watched reading a book while driving. Priceless.

I wouldn't live in that neighborhood. I live in a low middle class neighborhood and I couldn't have better neighbors. We all take the time to stop and talk. We walk our dogs and build a good community by helping each other. We all watch out for each other.

Yeah the neighbors that live right by me and I get along well. Because they took the time to talk to me. Others seem to just look angry that that POS 994runner and 2010 camry are in view of their guests. One guy down the street asked why I do not put the 4runner in the garage.

I said "because I want to show it off. I know everyone is jealous of a jacked up SUV around here". He rolled his eyes and wandered back to his hole. My neighbor that is a retired marine overheard and came over to tell me "that guy is a dic and you should park on his lawn".

So as with all neighbors there are good and bad. For me at least the bad ones just sit and judge in silence. At my old place people beat their women and kids and I had to bang down doors. I will take the silent glares any day.

For me it is all about having a private and larger back yard than I would get anywhere else for the money...In a "good neighborhood".

Never care about getting along with my neighbors as I would rather keep to myself anyhow.

I only wish they did. I have to say, i've seen it all.
My favorite has got to be the guy i watched reading a book while driving. Priceless.
It's starting to look like I'll never host my own Laugh In style variety show (something I had in the back of my mind pretty much all my life), but now there's YouTube for making fun short videos.

I'm picturing a string of cars going by, one driver doing a crossword, the gal we've all seen with her make-up, someone eating a bowl of cereal, a guy shaving in the rearview mirror with foam and a straight razor, jumping motocross guy playing with GPS, a Formula One driver taking a selfie at 200 mph, etc., etc.

I think it was SNL that did a skit about a Mercury with a ride so smooth that a rabbi performed a circumcision in the back seat. "Poifect!"

Last Edited:
It's starting to look like I'll never host my own Laugh In style variety show (something I had in the back of my mind pretty much all my life), but now there's YouTube for making fun short videos.

I'm picturing a string of cars going by, one driver doing a crossword, the gal we've all seen with her make-up, someone eating a bowl of cereal, a guy shaving in the rearview mirror with foam and a straight razor, jumping motocross guy playing with GPS, a Formula One driver taking a selfie at 200 mph, etc., etc.

I think it was SNL that did a skit about a Mercury with a ride so smooth that a rabbi performed a circumcision in the back seat. "Poifect!"

LOL
i would watch your variety show. :)

Whether it's Chico, CA or Sandy OR, there's a rush minute. It's better for me to find a parking spot till it's over. Worst one I recall was North Seattle. Fortunately, a Safeway parking lot appeared. Safe haven to watch steering wheel grippers heading for home.

When I'm in the thick of it, I try to maintain a 3 second space cushion. Someone needs it, It's theirs. A few whiles later, I get it back. I've noticed others backing off too. Makes for better flow.

Whenever practical, I turn right instead of left to get where I want to go. Go past the congested intersection, turn right 3 times, proceed. Beats the left turn lane and a possible t-bone accident.

When my Dad was employed by Pacific Telephone Co, he attended their defensive driving school. He would repeat the lessons out loud whenever we went motoring. I still remember even though I was about 4 years old. I hired on to PT, went to the same training.

I repeated the lessons out loud when we were motoring, my kids sullenly repeated the mantra. Now they are in their 30s, better drivers than average, my oldest commented how stupid some folks drive.

Aim high (look distant, not merely at the bumper in front of you) in steering
Get (and keep) the big picture
Keep your eyes moving (front, left-mirror, front, right-mirror, front, rearview mirror, front)
Make sure THEY SEE YOU (eye contact, pedestrian at the corner, etc)
Leave yourself an out

Very much like CC situational awareness
Scan far
Scan near
Watch for eyeballs (sheep look down, sheepdogs and wolves watch sheep)
Make a plan to retreat, make a cover plan
As things change, make another plan:)

Aim high (look distant, not merely at the bumper in front of you) in steering
Get (and keep) the big picture
Keep your eyes moving (front, left-mirror, front, right-mirror, front, rearview mirror, front)
Make sure THEY SEE YOU (eye contact, pedestrian at the corner, etc)
Leave yourself an out

^^^^^
Better known as: The 'Smith System' of Defensive Driving.

An unofficial key to add to the above:

Always expect stupid

My company preaches this system, and while it doesn't prevent ALL accidents, of the ones that do, the majority are NOT my company's driver's fault.

----------------------------------------------------------
The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

Driving/riding defensively does not mean being timid or sheepish. But tailgating consistently (especially on a vintage bike) can be a quick way to find out what a busy ER looks like.

Seeing dozens of completely preventable rear-end accidents since I started riding in the 1960's, I've always allowed a reasonable interval ahead so I can react in time when the vehicle I'm following makes a sudden stop. Gravel tends to liven things up too.

Today, every other vehicle on the road is a van, SUV or taller truck, and it's not so easy to "see through" them and scan for brake lights ahead. Typically when I change lanes and get a better look, I find the oxygen bandit I've been following is either tailgating someone else way too closely... or clogging up an empty left lane that's wide open for half a mile ahead!

Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews