JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Portland area has a newly named neighborhood.. called Jade. It's around Division and 82nd or so. Like the Bermuda freaking triangle and you guessed it.. ever single time.. a clueless Asian trying to kill us all! unbelievable

I grew up off of 85th & Holgate (Marshall H.S. all 4-yrs). Since I left for the Army in '85 and everyone I knew has moved away too, I haven't been back to that area (except the once or twice drive through to a jobsite) for at least 18yrs. or so. Back in the '75-'80's we were getting the first wave of "boat people" (as they were called back then), but there weren't a whole lot compared to the existing demographic (per se).

Didn't really care back then (still don't) as long as they're here legally, and by the "rules". :D

Interesting how many Oregon Drivers are actually transplants from CA. And don't get me started on the bizarre habit people in Washington have of trying to merge with their frecking brake pedal. Only to slow the bus or truck down to 45 mph while they then speed off at 65 leaving the truck to drag its butt back up to speed.

Yeah, I LOVE how people burn up those nice LOOOOONG on-ramps going 45mph the whole way and snarl up the right/middle lane because they're ignorant to the fact them ramps are for you to get UP to the speed limit so you can seamlessly merge....

I grew up on the coast (Oregon) and spent from age 18 to 20 going to college in the Sacramento CA area. I think NW drivers have always been horrible, PDX Freeways are Horrible, and Cell Phones are HORRIBLE!

Meh... I drove truck in the Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino, Lake County wine areas back in the late 80's, early 90's... Sometimes I would actually drive All Four, in one day, And Trade off Vehicles, to keep our Crews working, Delivering Hard wood Flooring OR TOOLS, that still drunk or stoned in the morning crews ~Forgot~...

Point is that Entire Area sucks EGGS Big Time!!!! Everybody in a hurry to get to the next Winery.... (We were the Number ONE Flooring Company for All Wineries in the area: 5+ years and Three wineries a year.... Largest was a 7,000 SQ FT floor...

Truck driving in those areas was and IS Considered Hazardous Duty!!!!! And it does not matter Which highway you are on, it leads From, And Goes to a Winery!!!!!

But the main thing that bugs me now, retired... Is all the freeken Cali Peoples who move here, and forget to Change their Culture to OREGONize! :p

Really, of my Adult life, 60 % was been in the Great Pacific North Wet.... And I adapt to the culture around me, ~As Much As POSSIBLE~ very quickly... I live in the BoonDocks, because I like the BoonDocks, they's good People in the BoonDocks.... not like the cities.....

In Eugene, one day, I saw a person driving...

While Eating Chinese Take Out.... WITH Chopsticks!!!! :mad:

I mean insanity!!!!!!! Think that last scenario over...

Holding the Box....

And a Pair of Chopsticks.... Which is where I ask, uhhh when do you Control of the Steering Wheel, you Obliviot???? :mad::mad::mad:

philip, Ahhh, I feel better having ranted that out!!!! :D

Last Edited:
Growing up in Nevada, which is rich in Californian driving heritage, I must say Oregon was something to get used to.

5 over, is the max, if not at all. Going the speed limit, the mere 55mph is absolutely acceptable in all lanes at all times.

Merging, well let's say that there must never have been a public service announcement that warned the general public that the speed on the freeway is greater than that of the on ramp. Then, those on the freeway may very well come to a complete stop to let said "going too slow to get on freeway person" get onto the freeway.

And God forbid you actually use your automobile horn to tell someone they are being an idiot. The looks of horror of the other driver, as if the horn emits a curse or something evil in nature upon them.

Rant off ;)

I drive a tractor-trailer for a living. I go from Clackamas to Seattle and back every day. I have now been driving TT for almost 20 years, and believe it or not, I will take Seattle traffic over Portland traffic EVERY DAY!!!

At least in the greater Seattle area, there are more highways and freeways, with more lanes, as well as lots of good non freeway streets to get around. I only get to Downtown Seattle once a week, as I mostly stay in the Kent, Tukwila, Renton and very south end of Seattle areas.

The main thing I notice is people not looking to the left as they are merging onto the freeway until the last possible second. This is one big reason I will not be in the far right lane in traffic on the freeway.

Merging is supposed to be seamless, with the merging car matching the speed of traffic. But mostly this is a personal and vehicularly mental challenge. Move your head people, see what is happening around you.....

Also, for those who like to cut in front of, or go from the far left to the far right lane(or vice versa) in front of a tractor trailer, just remember tractor trailers can stop on a dime, or in most cases on the car cutting them off......
---------------------------------------------------------------
The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

I grew up off of 85th & Holgate (Marshall H.S. all 4-yrs). Since I left for the Army in '85 and everyone I knew has moved away too, I haven't been back to that area (except the once or twice drive through to a jobsite) for at least 18yrs. or so. Back in the '75-'80's we were getting the first wave of "boat people" (as they were called back then), but there weren't a whole lot compared to the existing demographic (per se).

Didn't really care back then (still don't) as long as they're here legally, and by the "rules". :D

+1 on this^^^

Stomper, I grew up near 58th and Holgate (Franklin 4 years). Nobody I grew up with still lives in that 'hood. I am in Hillsboro now, what does that say???
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

I learned how to merge onto a freeway when I was 8 yrs old.
On Sunday evenings the whole family would watch the Wide World of Disney.
One episode showed how Goofy would enter traffic by slowing down on the ramp and coming to a stop as traffic flew by at 60.
Then they showed Micky actually speeding up on the ramp and seamlessly merging with traffic.
If I could learn that at 8 yrs old and remember it, why can't people that drive the same freeway everyday get it.

+1 on this^^^

Stomper, I grew up near 58th and Holgate (Franklin 4 years). Nobody I grew up with still lives in that 'hood. I am in Hillsboro now, what does that say???
---------------------------------------------------------------------
It says you drove 10 whole miles. lol

I learned how to merge onto a freeway when I was 8 yrs old.
On Sunday evenings the whole family would watch the Wide World of Disney.
One episode showed how Goofy would enter traffic by slowing down on the ramp and coming to a stop as traffic flew by at 60.
Then they showed Micky actually speeding up on the ramp and seamlessly merging with traffic.
If I could learn that at 8 yrs old and remember it, why can't people that drive the same freeway everyday get it.
The world is goofy.

We had no driving issues here until Kommifornia-Imports started driving here.
Actually, when I moved here in 1973 from Kmomieforinca I distinctly remember my grandma telling us how everyone in Oregon drives slow and no one is in a hurry.

Nowadays I think most drivers are either medicated or just plain stupid. People drive like they think.

I drive all over the greater state of Oregon each day, it's part of my job. I travel up to Seattle about once every 3 months as well...so i rack up a lot of windshield time.
There are a number of things I've seen here that aren't as widespread as other areas i've driven in.
-too many drivers that do not use their mirrors
-too many drivers that can't stay in their own lane
-too many drivers who don't care that they're going well below the speed limit in the left lane
-a**hole drivers who drive the speed limit and then speed up in passing areas so you can't get around them

They spent 180M to study on a new I-5 bridge. They deemed it unpossible, thank you very much. In MI or something they BUILT an equivalent bridge for like 30M.. in just a few months.
They've been dicking with the Sellwood bridge for almost a decade by the time it's done?
It's a little bridge.

Actually, when I moved here in 1973 from Kmomieforinca I distinctly remember my grandma telling us how everyone in Oregon drives slow and no one is in a hurry.
Nowadays I think most drivers are either medicated or just plain stupid. People drive like they think.
I guess so, what I notice is how oblivious all drivers are to their surrounding now days.
Back when I was a kid we had CB, the radio going and foot to the floor and managed not to kill anyone or get too many tickets. Not saying we were reckless. I am saying multitasking now days seem to mean you can drive.

It is this to a T:D

Good LORD, that's where I learned to drive! I can't believe we don't have a public education,TV/radio spots of sorts for drivers to help traffic "Flow".

Grew up in Utah, worst drivers in the nation in the '70s when I started driving. When ever we'd vacation out of state dad would be in heaven, Or, Cali, Montana, Nevada anywhere but Utah. NOW, Utah is a pleasure to drive, something changed drastically since 1983 that's for sure. Those people flat out move now.

In any state, it's sad that many of those "Don't Text and Drive" billboards are never even seen.

They are ignored by motorists staring down at the dashboard, completely absorbed in their "hands-free" Bluetooth, Aha, Pandora, Starlink, GPS, Sirius, iTunes, 10-speaker surround-sound interactive touch-screen displays.

Just turning that crap OFF takes 4 distinct actions in my new car, which I do immediately as part of starting the engine. But I'm a distinct minority in that respect.

A huge portion of this technology addicted generation never actually learned how to "just drive" in the first place, nor will they ever. Operating a motor vehicle is a distraction - a distant second priority when seated at the attention-sucking controls of a rolling high definition laptop.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top