JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Legalize personal marijuana use and set up a commission to regulate commercial sales?

• Yes

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Oregon ballot measure 80 is about legalizing personal use marijuana and sets up a commission to regulate commercial marijuana sales.

I can see both arguments pro and con. I'm really struggling with this.

How would you vote?

help me decide
Uhmm
I don't see pot as a dangerous substance when used responsibly, BUT I do think it can be dangerous if it is misused.

I can say from experience that mixing alcohol with pot can be a bad mixture.

Now think of all the drivers you and your loved ones share the road with.

Anybody can act irresponsibly, whether it's with a gun or a car or a drug. You don't blame the gun or the car for the idiot's actions, so why would you blame the drug? Pot's not like meth or crack or any of those other hideously addictive and poisonous synthetic chemicals that ruin the lives of everyone they touch.

Put another way, what would happen if you applied your same arguments against marijuana legalization to cigarettes or booze? Look what happened when the government nannies banned booze - that's exactly where we are right now with pot.

Disclaimer: I'm not a user of any drugs or prescriptions, licit or illicit. My tastes run to microbrews.

Just something to consider - CA had a vote for legalizing personal use non medical pot a few years ago - it failed. I think that people looked at it along the lines of its much harder to tell their kids not to use it if it was legal. Another thing to consider is even if the state says its OK it would still be a violation of federal laws.

Most that I have known over the years that indulged heavily in Pot simply froze in place and never accomplished anything in their lives. It has destroyed my Brothers life and he is still dealing Pot at 59 years of age.

Like anything if used in moderation its not harmful I guess. Problem is like Coke, Heroin and other drugs the brain learns quickly to like the happy zones and wants more and more, until self control is not an option.

I vote no. But I am an old guy, what do I know about Monster Cola, Pot, Smart Phones and all this newfangled stuff the young are attracted too.

My main issue with legalization is that it will inevitably be more available to kids and in most kids it destroys classroom work ethic and any drive to succeed. If you have a marginal student getting high on weed can slow him or her to a failed life. Not to good for smart kids either. Seen it with my own eyes! I'm going No. By the way I was a pot head for years, picked it up in the military. It does drag you down and I was a pretty motivated young man. I'm so glad that I was an adult before discovering the stuff! Clean many years now!

As in the other thread, State government will spend the revenue collected in taxes, if they are imposed and this just adds another level of State Government control. We already have the liquor control commission, now there will be the marijuana control commission. It won't be sold at Wal-Mart or Freddies, or Costco and that adds availability issues and more costs that become the burden of taxpayers throughout the State.

Voting YES. Though it would still be illegal federally, I doubt that will last for long as more and more states legalize it.

Most that I have known over the years that indulged heavily in Pot simply froze in place and never accomplished anything in their lives...

Anecdotally, Carl Sagan (most brilliant astronomer since Galileo Galilei), Bruce Lee (most innovative martial artist of the 20th century), Sir Richard Branson (mega-successful billionaire) and Michael Phelps (record-breaking olympian) all have used/do use cannabis, and it doesn't/didn't seem to negatively impact their amazing successes and contributions to humanity. Sure, heavily indulging in cannabis isn't the best thing for you. Heavily indulging in alcohol is bad for you too, but few alcohol users heavily indulge. Heck, heavily indulging in TV is bad for you (I can't think of any contributions from heavy TV users at the moment).

My main issue with legalization is that it will inevitably be more available to kids and in most kids it destroys classroom work ethic and any drive to succeed. If you have a marginal student getting high on weed can slow him or her to a failed life. Not to good for smart kids either. Seen it with my own eyes! I'm going No. By the way I was a pot head for years, picked it up in the military. It does drag you down and I was a pretty motivated young man. I'm so glad that I was an adult before discovering the stuff! Clean many years now!

More middle school kids smoke pot than drink. Know why? The fact that alcohol is regulated in the way it is, and the people selling it only become criminals if they sell to a minor. A lot of drug dealers don't care how old the buyer is (Can you imagine seeing a drug deal go down where the buyer gets carded? That would make a good scene in a sitcom. You heard it here first, I want royalties). Making cannabis legal and regulated would, if it works anything like alcohol, actually serve to make it more difficult for kids to get their hands on.

As in the other thread, State government will spend the revenue collected in taxes, if they are imposed and this just adds another level of State Government control. We already have the liquor control commission, now there will be the marijuana control commission. It won't be sold at Wal-Mart or Freddies, or Costco and that adds availability issues and more costs that become the burden of taxpayers throughout the State.

It's really trading one level of government control for another, not giving them more. Currently, the government gets to say what an adult can and cannot willingly do to their own body (and, especially, their mind. I believe that Freedom of Thought belongs in the First Amendment along with the freedoms of expression laid out, but it was not included because our Founding Fathers couldn't even conceive of a regime that would try to limit that). Want to take away their monopoly on your mind?

Edit: I've heard the "stoned drivers" argument a lot. I will start by saying I don't think anyone should drive under the influence of any impairing substance. That said, I think stoned drivers are far less dangerous than drunk ones. With both substances, the first thing to go is your judgement, which is bad for driving (I think most drivers' judgement is bad enough already), but alcohol affects the cerebellum too (cannabis mostly does not, which is part of the reason it's not possible to fatally overdose). With alcohol's effects on the cerebellum, you begin having issues with motor control and muscle memory, both of which are incredibly important for driving.

Last Edited:
The last thing I want to see is a new commission similar to the liquor control board, packed with bureaucrats with fat salaries, PERS pensions and free medical. They just soak up the major portion of the revenue collected and pass on a small amount into the state coffers. I am for dumping the liquor control board and letting people buy the stuff in the grocery store like in CA and other states.

If drugs are legalized then best to just make it legal and keep the state out of it. It can be regulated but don't let them run any type of control program since then it just becomes another leg on the octopuss. My personal opinion, of course.

Even if the measure passes, I still wouldn't get to use it until I retire. Our industry has random drug testing. Failing such a test would cost me my ability to work. I'm not willing to chance that. I don't think making it "legal" in Oregon would affect that status.

But I am looking forward to retirement. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top