JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hope this isn't too politicky for this forum. As many Oregon residents are aware Oregon plans to start placing tolls on existing Interstates and even though there has been a lot of push back, the Oregon Legislature and DOT are flat out ignoring anu opposition. The only voter recourse is an initiative to allow the citizens of Oregon to make the decision themselves.

One of the planned tolling sites is the I-205 bridge at Oregon City, which effectively cuts I-205 in half and separates the communities of Oregon City and West Linn. It's expected that local surface streets and Highway 43 will be overwhelmed by traffic looking to escape the toll. This will also increase the cost of goods and doing any business that crosses any of the planned toll locations.

Whether or not you support the tolls you should at least be able to vote on it and not just get steamrolled by legislators looking for yet another way to tax us..

Initiative website:

KATU Article

The stoopid bubblegum about this is the toll is something like $5.00-$8.00/crossing isn't it? That kind of toll will 120% guarantee that people take another route, and is completely unfair for lower wage earners that have already been paying for these roads and bridges though existing taxes! If they want a toll it should be .50-.75 cents.
Basturds!

It is about pushing common people out of cars. The elitists want the masses to have to live in concrete rabbit warrens next to the trolley lines, while they drive around on uncongested roads.

Buy an electric vehicle, pay the toll, and shut up. :rolleyes:

There will be a lot of people bypassing 205 through the use of the highways through Mt. Hood area and probably the use of I84 or WA highways... I know 99E is already overtaxed between Canby and Oregon City; and it's already ridiculously busy in Oregon City at the 99E/205 intersection.... I predict that hwy 214 and related roads from Woodburn, Molalla, Sandy areas will get worse

Related, the cities of Monmouth, Independence, Dallas and Rickreall, as well as the Polk County Commisioners/Council have already told ODOT a big fat NO on the installment of a large roundabout on Highway 99W at Clow Corner; and ODOT/State basically told everyone to pound sand and started construction there :mad:

No amount of power or money will ever be enough for them if we gave them a quadrillion bazillion dollars they'd be broke next year.

Actually. Dare them to install tolls on I5 into downtown PDX from Wilsonville all the way to the Vancouver bridge... see if Portland Metro can survive a virtual embargo of commercial traffic and commuters :s0140:
They are planning a toll on I-5 between Wilsonville and the I-205 off ramp. I understand that it was to make sure people weren't sneaking through Canby to bypass the one on the Abernathy Bridge in OC.

They know there will be a lot of that and I'm certain a planning on taking advantage of the new traffic patterns to justify tolls on the Banfield and elsewhere.

These initial tolls are just the beginning and it's won't be confined to the Portland Metro.

2 words, motorized paraglider....
Like.. Hamas? hamas_1696741371441_1696741381111.jpeg

They are planning a toll on I-5 between Wilsonville and the I-205 off ramp. I understand that it was to make sure people weren't sneaking through Canby to bypass the one on the Abernathy Bridge in OC.

They know there will be a lot of that and I'm certain a planning on taking advantage of the new traffic patterns to justify tolls on the Banfield and elsewhere.

These initial tolls are just the beginning and it's won't be confined to the Portland Metro.
The people in charge there will take as much as people allow. If they do not lose office over this, just get a lot of screaming and yelling? They will soon come back for more. People do this to themselves and they can stop it if they want to.

Related, the cities of Monmouth, Independence, Dallas and Rickreall, as well as the Polk County Commisioners/Council have already told ODOT a big fat NO on the installment of a large roundabout on Highway 99W at Clow Corner; and ODOT/State basically told everyone to pound sand and started construction there :mad:
Why are you against round-a-bouts? At first I thought it was a terrible idea. Trippin' along at 50-60mph and you got to slow down for that shiz!! But thinking about the traffic that needs come on to the main, higher speed road. Sitting at a stop sign for who knows how long, and then getting antsy and pulling out wrong, getting hit. With the round-a-bout no one needs to stop and wait for a light. You know a lot of those intersection where there's traffic at a higher speed and a light, people run them. As long as people use them as they are intended I can live with them.

Why are you against round-a-bouts? At first I thought it was a terrible idea. Trippin' along at 50-60mph and you got to slow down for that shiz!! But thinking about the traffic that needs come on to the main, higher speed road. Sitting at a stop sign for who knows how long, and then getting antsy and pulling out wrong, getting hit. With the round-a-bout no one needs to stop and wait for a light. You know a lot of those intersection where there's traffic at a higher speed and a light, people run them. As long as people use them as they are intended I can live with them.
Because we do have a light at 99W and Clow Corner, it's just a flashing yellow on the 99W side and flashing red on Clow Corner side and not the standard stop light. The County, and all the Cities have suggested converting the flashing yellow to a regular stoplight with the red and green lights like we already have on Hoffman road and 99W and at Rickreall and 99W.... cheaper and already established infrastructure there (left turn lanes and light structures)... the truckers are all against the roundabout because it would mean increased time between towns, means more costs, less pay because of keeping to deliveries.

My suggestion was to install acceleration/turn lanes on 99W at the Clow Corner intersection to allow right-turning traffic to accelerate and merge with the 99W traffic, and funnel right-turning traffic off 99W into the turn lanes so vehicles waiting at the Clow Corner stop signs could tell when there was an opportunity to proceed. Of course, no one listened.

The thing about this suggestion, is that if properly executed, the improvements could be incorporated into a traffic circle in the future, incrementing the costs over time. That wouldn't fit with the money-wasting mentality at Oregon DOT.

My suggestion was to install acceleration/turn lanes on 99W at the Clow Corner intersection to allow right-turning traffic to accelerate and merge with the 99W traffic, and funnel right-turning traffic off 99W into the turn lanes so vehicles waiting at the Clow Corner stop signs could tell when there was an opportunity to proceed. Of course, no one listened.

The thing about this suggestion, is that if properly executed, the improvements could be incorporated into a traffic circle in the future, incrementing the costs over time. That wouldn't fit with the money-wasting mentality at Oregon DOT.
It's the left turns that apparently have the most crashes/danger to traffic. Edit, a mini quarter to half cloverleaf design might be better, with the 99W being an overpass, similar to the 99W/22 intersection?

I saw an animation of the new roundabout connecting Highway 43 to the Abernathy and old Oregon City bridges. I swear the designer was on acid. It's overly complex and too many on and off points to keep track. It is NOT an improvement over the traffic light it replaces and WILL cause increased accidents.

I learned to hate roundabouts on a business trip to Scotland. I took a few days of vacation to do some sight seeing. The drill is that on their highway system there is a roundabout about every mile you need to slow down for. Between there and the next one you can almost get up to highway speed again. I panned a day trip from Aberdeen to Loch Ness and should have easily made the trip and been back mid afternoon (by US standards), Instead I made it halfway there and had to turn around getting back to my hotel after dark.

I've always found a simple 4 way stop as the most efficient way for two roads to cross. I note that when we have a power outage that shuts down traffic lights I got home much faster on my commute withthe intersections becoming 4 ways.

I saw an animation of the new roundabout connecting Highway 43 to the Abernathy and old Oregon City bridges. I swear the designer was on acid. It's overly complex and too many on and off points to keep track. It is NOT an improvement over the traffic light it replaces and WILL cause increased accidents.

I learned to hate roundabouts on a business trip to Scotland. I took a few days of vacation to do some sight seeing. The drill is that on their highway system there is a roundabout about every mile you need to slow down for. Between there and the next one you can almost get up to highway speed again. I panned a day trip from Aberdeen to Loch Ness and should have easily made the trip and been back mid afternoon (by US standards), Instead I made it halfway there and had to turn around getting back to my hotel after dark.

I've always found a simple 4 way stop as the most efficient way for two roads to cross. I note that when we have a power outage that shuts down traffic lights I got home much faster on my commute withthe intersections becoming 4 ways.
Agreed about 4 way stops.

You'd hate getting into or leaving Bend on Highway 20 between Bend and Sisters.

I'll admit I have limited experience with the round a bouts. HWY 14 camas/Washougal. And ran into a couple of them out around Verbort, between forest Grove and HWY 26. They were far apart and those, to me, were better than stopping at a light. Seeing how our road department heads here are such complete fools and morons? We have hundreds of traffic signals in potland/MultCo and very few are traffic actuated. Which, of course, frequently leaves you stopped, idling precious fuel away, whit no cars in the cross lanes.
I think there are places where they would work well though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top