Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

OR CHP for Non Resident - Proof of Course

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RicInOR, Feb 8, 2013.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sorry I didn't find this answer when I searched - if it is there feel free to point me at the post!

For an Non Resident, what are the requirements for Proof of Course taken?
    From Pat Garrett's page:
    "provide written documentation that demonstrates that you have taken a handgun safety course"

Does it specifically have to have been for OR?

I understand that the UT requirements were more extensive and thus covered what you
    need to know at a minimum for OR.

Yes - if only the OR legislature would approve reciprocity agreements -

TY

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

To my understanding there isn't an Oregon specific one. It just has to meet the requirements for being a Handgun Safety Course. The NRA Handgun Safety Course counts.

Oregon also requires a mental health check, which has to come from your State's Mental Health board (or whatever it is called in your state.)

3. mhasson30

mhasson30 OR Active Member

WTF?
    NO THERE IS NOT

4. Luieburger

Luieburger El Paso, TX Member

When I lived in CA, there was a group effort to help Californians get an Oregon CHL if they wanted one. The thread with a list of requirements is here: Oregon Sheriff Will be at Cow Palace Show on Nov. 13-14 to Take OR CHL Applications - Calguns.net

To my knowledge, sheriffs shall issue to Oregonians but are not required to issue to people out of state. Unless something has changed since I obtained my Oregon CHL, Glenn Palmer of Grant county is one of the few sheriffs who issues permits to people out of state.

As for the Proof of Course, Glenn Palmer accepted this: MD Firearms Safety Training

Very quick and easy.

5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Not the last time I renewed mine. They (Multnomah Sheriff's office) told me it was no longer required.

6. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Multnomah County does also with no problem for many years now.

7. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

§ 166.291¹

<snip>
    (i) Has not been committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness);
    (j) Has not been found to be mentally ill and is not subject to an order under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness) that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness;

If you are an Oregon resident they check the Oregon system during the background check process. If you are from out side of Oregon, and they need a similar statement from that state's mental authority. This may not be required for a renewal any longer. But I know that it is required for the initial permit.

Unless of course, a County Sheriff is ignoring this part of the law and not requiring it at all.