JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry I didn't find this answer when I searched - if it is there feel free to point me at the post!

For an Non Resident, what are the requirements for Proof of Course taken?
From Pat Garrett's page:
"provide written documentation that demonstrates that you have taken a handgun safety course"

Does it specifically have to have been for OR?

I understand that the UT requirements were more extensive and thus covered what you
need to know at a minimum for OR.

Yes - if only the OR legislature would approve reciprocity agreements -

TY

To my understanding there isn't an Oregon specific one. It just has to meet the requirements for being a Handgun Safety Course. The NRA Handgun Safety Course counts.

Oregon also requires a mental health check, which has to come from your State's Mental Health board (or whatever it is called in your state.)

To my understanding there isn't an Oregon specific one. It just has to meet the requirements for being a Handgun Safety Course. The NRA Handgun Safety Course counts.

Oregon also requires a mental health check, which has to come from your State's Mental Health board (or whatever it is called in your state.)
Not the last time I renewed mine. They (Multnomah Sheriff's office) told me it was no longer required.

WTF?
NO THERE IS NOT

§ 166.291¹

<snip>
(i) Has not been committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness);
(j) Has not been found to be mentally ill and is not subject to an order under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness) that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness;

If you are an Oregon resident they check the Oregon system during the background check process. If you are from out side of Oregon, and they need a similar statement from that state's mental authority. This may not be required for a renewal any longer. But I know that it is required for the initial permit.

Unless of course, a County Sheriff is ignoring this part of the law and not requiring it at all.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews