JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
3x9 is the lower end to my requirements. 4x12 or 4x14 is even better. If that's too much magnification for your immediate needs, turn it down. And I know adjustable objective has not been a part of your discussion, but it is quite important to me. Both in putting the reticle on the same plane as the target, but it also helps my eyes to focus.

3x9 is the lower end to my requirements. 4x12 or 4x14 is even better. If that's too much magnification for your immediate needs, turn it down. And I know adjustable objective has not been a part of your discussion, but it is quite important to me. Both in putting the reticle on the same plane as the target, but it also helps my eyes to focus.

For the 10/22, which was the original home to the 6-18, I got a 2-7 Vortex.

I settled on a Vortex 4x12 x 40 Diamondback for my Marlin MN25 bolt .22 mag. It's a bear to mount on on it though... the bolt really has trouble with it. Adjusting today.

Last Edited:
i have settled on a Vortex 4x1 l2 Diamondback. It's a bear to mount on my Marlin 25MN though... the bolt really has trouble with it. Adjusting today.
Man , don't get weird with high rings for bolt clearance. This just leads to poor cheek weld.
Unless you're willing to buy aftermarket stock, or mod your existing. All totally up to you of course.

Man , don't get weird with high rings for bolt clearance. This just leads to poor cheek weld.
Unless you're willing to buy aftermarket stock, or mod your existing. All totally up to you of course.
I'm actually looking at a Boyd Hunter stock for it. The guys at Sportsman's suggested high rings because of the way the scope is. There's no other way to get clearance for the bolt with this scope, unfortunately.

I'm actually looking at a Boyd Hunter stock for it. The guys at Sportsman's suggested high rings because of the way the scope is. There's no other way to get clearance for the bolt with this scope, unfortunately.
Not %100 familiar with Boyd's nomenclature. I'm assuming the hunter is thumbhole but with more traditional forend shape, not wide flat for bench shooters.
$150ish?

Not %100 familiar with Boyd's nomenclature. I'm assuming the hunter is thumbhole but with more traditional forend shape, not wide flat for bench shooters.
$150ish?

First photo is Rimfire Hunter. Considering the At-One thumbhole design (second photo), because of the adjustability of it ... but I'd like to take this 22 WMR out shooting for squirrel and rabbit, and maybe other small game. I don't want to turn it into a pure benchrest gun, so it can't be too unwieldy.

Also don't want to drop more than the original gun cost to customize it, but that's probably going to happen anyhow once I get the stock. Got a trigger on the way already.

A7B22259-01DF-4907-A5EE-0290AFEDF3D1.jpeg EEB7256F-7EB4-47E7-97FE-C627DD9190E7.jpeg

Last Edited:

I have one of these, similar to the Rimfire Hunter. Nice piece of wood, but it's heavy at 2 lbs. 6 oz. Makes for a good bench rest gun, but for carrying in the field I like something lighter.

Depends on what you plan to use it for.
Plinking, competition, hunting etc?

For my nrl22 competition rifle I run a nightfocre atacr 7-35×56

For speed steel or rimfire 2 gun I run a SRO or Delta Point pro

Even on a .22LR, seeing the tiniest eye peeking back in the alfalfa fields, or seeing the tiniest fly on the target board at 50 yards, I very much appreciate high power scopes.;) There is no too-much power.

I couldn't agree more! We can hunt squirrels all year long on our own property up here. Still, I wait until around September due to our squirrels having three litters by then. With trees still having canopy, like "WAYNO" states, it's great when I have my scope turned up to the point where I can a squirrels ears twitch, or the flick of its tail. Then the sniping can begin.
Someone mentioned Mueller scopes above. I have three of those on my favorite .22 bolt action rifles. These scopes have 1/8 per click adjustment, something I think is valuable for use when sighting in my .22 rimfire rifles, they are very reasonably priced and a great product for the money involved:
zvStbjc.jpg

30mm to me seems to be the limit imo, but it depends on what you're doing. Hunting for rabbits or squirrels? maybe try scope with a 1" tube. Doing some competitive shooting? try going up to something a little beefier like a 30mm Vortex Diamondback tactical. Really all just depends on what you want done and how you want your fun.

Question on 22 Mag and parallax: I have a 3x9 Accupoint that is a good size and weight for a CZ 457 synthetic . However, parallax is 100 yards. I get that this is suboptimal for 22 lr, but is it ok for 22 WMR?

Question on 22 Mag and parallax: I have a 3x9 Accupoint that is a good size and weight for a CZ 457 synthetic . However, parallax is 100 yards. I get that this is suboptimal for 22 lr, but is it ok for 22 WMR?
100 yard parallax will be fine for a .22 magnum. Keep your eye centered, and parallax is not an issue with LR, either.

I don't buy into the too much scope on a .22 discussion. I have some extremely accurate rimfires. I don't want to hogtie their potential.

Last Edited:
I think the rifle and ammo combo should tell you you max distance you want to try and take a shot at something. For example if you rifle is only capable of 5/8-3/4" at 50ish yards type of thing. On a competitive shooting rifle, I have no problems in the 16-24 max magnification. Above that you'll start having mirage distortion on a warm day.

I've got a Rem 40x capable 3/4-7/8" @ 100 all day long with a lupy vxlll LR with Mk4 target turrets and fine crosshair 1/8 min tgt dot.

A Volquartsen 2500 that had a Weaver 4-16 tgt dot with vertical turret until it lost its crosshair. It is an accurate rifle for silhouette but too heavy for woods walking. It'll either get repaired or a 4-16 or 18 or 6-24 will go on with an adjustable objective.

A Remy 541 with a 2-7 x 33 lupy. Accurate (in the .3s) but just a squirrel for it to 50-60 yards.

An Annie 22 mag with a lupy compact 3-9 x 33 with an AO. This rifle could use an upgrade to more power with an adjustable objective be needs to be dainty to keep it in porportion. The current would be moved to the 541.

I have several air rifles to (pcp, springer &a gas ram), and run 6-24s, 8-32s and a 10-50 for FT. I like the old B&L 4200s. Clear glass and hold up to a magnum springer.

If you are going to shoot it alot for extended periods of time get some clear glass to save eye fatigue.

I'd normally say you can't have too much but proved that misleading today. At a 50foot indoor range today and could not focus that close, not enough parallax adjustment. Normally shoot at 100yds so I do want the magnification but today showed it is possible to be too much. And not just due to the large physical size.

I picked up a 10/22 with a 6-18xx40mm scope on it.

Now, I doubt I'll get a lot of use out of a power that high with 22LR, but what about my 22WMR?

Put another way - how much scope is too much?

Some say 2-7 is plenty for rimfire. That makes sense to me for 22LR and plinking, but WMR (and especially .17) have more legs on them.

What do you all think? Is there a point at which you're thinking, "too much scope"?
Best all around rimfire scope?
Leupold 3x9 EFR with duplex.
👍👍👍👍👍

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR