JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a 10/22 with a 6-18xx40mm scope on it.

Now, I doubt I'll get a lot of use out of a power that high with 22LR, but what about my 22WMR?

Put another way - how much scope is too much?

Some say 2-7 is plenty for rimfire. That makes sense to me for 22LR and plinking, but WMR (and especially .17) have more legs on them.

What do you all think? Is there a point at which you're thinking, "too much scope"?

Last Edited:

Now, I doubt I'll get a lot of use out of a powerr that high with 22LR, but what about my 22WMR?

Some say 2-7 is plenty for rimfire. That makes sense to me for 22LR and plinking, but WMR (and especially .17) have more legs on them.

What do you all think? Is there a point at which you're thinking, "too much scope"?
I see similar on nice pellet rifles.

Tiny groups on small targets.

Right now it's a wooden stock, but it's got a Green Mountain ss bull barrel and TM receiver, so it looks like whomever had it was looking toward tightening up the groups.

I'm guessing some trigger work was done too, or it's got a custom trigger- the pull is pretty light and has practically zero creep.

Depends what you're using the rifle for. Some people go for tiny groups at 100 yards. Others, still, like to push 200 - 400 yards. If that's your game then the more magnification, the better.

Casual plinking or hunting? Doesn't seem as necessary for that much reach in the optic.

Yeah, I'm thinking to put the Vortex 2-7 on this 10/22 and move the 6-18 over to my Marlin 25MN
You been running open sights on the Marlin?

I picked up a magazine fed Marlin bolt action in 22mag that had one of those monster scopes on it . I pulled it due mainly to the "see through (under) " rings. I will try open sights and if stock comb height isn't a factor, I don't think it's getting a scope at all.

I have a Mueller 4.5-14X -40mm scope on my Savage MKII FVT that I shoot both target and sage rats with. I find the 14X quite nice on a quarter sized target at 200 yards.

Now, I doubt I'll get a lot of use out of a power that high with 22LR, but what about my 22WMR?

This is subjective, for me 6x starting out is too high for a plinker/squirrel gun but if someone was a competition shooter with it then why not? Thing with 6x as the low end is the field of view is probably going to be too small for easy plinking or squirrel hunting. To me a scopes power should fit the application of the caliber, competition is a different thing. If you just want a plinker then get a different scope, if you want to compete with it then keep it as is. My guess is you could sell that 6-18 used for enough to buy a quality plinking scope for it.

20210329_185745.jpg 20210329_185904.jpg
King of the cheap rimfire scopes, IMO

This is subjective, for me 6x starting out is too high for a plinker/squirrel gun but if someone was a competition shooter with it then why not? Thing with 6x as the low end is the field of view is probably going to be too small for easy plinking or squirrel hunting. To me a scopes power should fit the application of the caliber, competition is a different thing. If you just want a plinker then get a different scope, if you want to compete with it then keep it as is. My guess is you could sell that 6-18 used for enough to buy a quality plinking scope for it.

Yeah, I put the Vortex 2-7 on the 10/22... not planning on competing with it, but if that changes in the future, I know what will go on it. For now, just gonna use it to shoot between 50-75 yards - maybe 100 occasionally.

Also not planning on competing with the Marlin WMR, but 6x seemed too high for a rifle I plan on using to shoot living things.

Will sell/trade the 6-18 for a 4-12 / 4-16ish one instead.

10-22 Take-Down for general household use by kids and grandkids we have setup with UTG 3-12x32 BugBuster. Personal hunting 10-22 is a TD with a Volquerson CF in a Magpul Hunter X-22 chassis topped with 4x16x44 Riton.

Guess the answer is it depends on who and what it's for.

Edit- Or other needs. Just removed it for the wife's 308. Replaced it with a 3x12 Sightron.

Last Edited:
Yeah, I put the Vortex 2-7 on the 10/22... not planning on competing with it, but if that changes in the future, I know what will go on it. For now, just gonna use it to shoot between 50-75 yards - maybe 100 occasionally.

Also not planning on competing with the Marlin WMR, but 6x seemed too high for a rifle I plan on using to shoot living things.

Will sell/trade the 6-18 for a 4-12 / 4-16ish one instead.
I have a 4-12 on my 10/22 but that's only because I got it for free and didn't have another rifle needing it. I don't shoot competition but occasionally use mine for grouse hunting... to me the 22lr is an under 100yd gun for very small game. Ideally Id put a 2-7 or therabouts on it like the Vortex you mentioned, other than the gun range I dont think I ever go above 7x for the grouse hunting ive done I dont think Ive ever needed more than 4x actually. Whats interesting is I put a Green Mountain bull barrel on it when I first got it, no idea if it makes a difference but it looks cooler. :p it holds a really good group for me.

Even on a .22LR, seeing the tiniest eye peeking back in the alfalfa fields, or seeing the tiniest fly on the target board at 50 yards, I very much appreciate high power scopes.;) There is no too-much power.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads