JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is some of that patchwork of laws one must navigate without a CHL. Multnomah County ordinance. To paraphrase the President...buy a shotgun get a CHL...to avoid this mess. :cool:

15.064 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.
(A) It is unlawful for any person in a public place, to carry a firearm upon the person, or while in a vehicle in a public place, unless all ammunition has been removed from the chamber and from the cylinder, clip, or magazine. A person who violates this section is subject to penalty even if the person did not know that ammunition was in the cylinder, chamber, clip or magazine.
(B) The prohibitions of subsection (A) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(1) Those listed in ORS 166.173(2). (This is the exemption part if you have a CHL)
(2) Licensed hunters engaged in lawful hunting.
(3) Persons engaged in target shooting at an established shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting.
(4) A government employee authorized or required by his or her employment or office to carry firearms.
(5) A security guard employed at a financial institution insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation while the security guard is on duty.
(6) A person with written authorization from the Multnomah County Sheriff or his designee.
(C) It is unlawful for any person who possesses a firearm, clip or magazine in or upon a public place, or while in a vehicle in a public place, to refuse to permit a peace officer to inspect that firearm, clip or magazine after the peace officer has identified himself or herself as such. The prohibitions of this subsection do not apply to or affect the persons listed in subsection (B) of this section.

This was just given to me by Marion county sheriff's office through email:
If you do not have a Concealed Handgun License and you are in your vehicle with your handgun, you are allowed open carry in the State of Oregon where ever allowed. This means "visible to the eye an within arms reach at all times" ex. would be on the seat or dashboard. This applies if you are out walking around it must be on you visible to the eye and within in arms reach at all time, no part of a holster can be covering up the handgun. If you are in your vehicle and you want to store it away for ex if you go into a store and don't want to take with you, the handgun must be a locked box separate from the ammo. Which the ammo must be in a locked box also and both locked boxes must have a locking mechanism on them.
So, in other words:

"To ensure the safety of others, please handle your loaded firearm in public, unload it, store it in a locking container in your vehicle, store the ammo in a separate locking container in your vehicle, then leave the vehicle containing your firearm and ammo unnattended after everyone and their mother watched you stow it. Then, when you come back to your car, if for some reason it hasn't been stolen yet, please handle your weapon again and load it in plain view of everyone before you depart."

What could possibly go wrong?
:s0064:

There is an exception to chl requirements in oregon. While traveling to and from or engaged in a hunting or fishing expedition and gun club as well as being engaged in those activities; No chl needed. So none of the local or state laws matter except prohibited areas with the exception.
Anyone can open carry an unloaded firearm, as long as they don't have loaded magazines, speed loaders etc on their person or within reach, or in prohibited areas.

Most of oregon laws, especially gun laws, are interpreted in case law, so look those up for sure.

This was just given to me by Marion county sheriff's office through email:
If you do not have a Concealed Handgun License and you are in your vehicle with your handgun, you are allowed open carry in the State of Oregon where ever allowed. This means "visible to the eye an within arms reach at all times" ex. would be on the seat or dashboard. This applies if you are out walking around it must be on you visible to the eye and within in arms reach at all time, no part of a holster can be covering up the handgun. If you are in your vehicle and you want to store it away for ex if you go into a store and don't want to take with you, the handgun must be a locked box separate from the ammo. Which the ammo must be in a locked box also and both locked boxes must have a locking mechanism on them.
Sheriffs offices can put out whatever they want in emails. That doesn't make what they say in those emails true or correct. Them saying you can't have a holster covering any part of the gun while open carrying, directly contradicts the definition of open carry written in oregon gun laws. I belive it goes something like, openly carried on a belt and in a holster. Even if a person open carries according to state law, no one will be able to see an open carried gun from every approach angle of that person; it's impossible.

Sheriffs offices can put out whatever they want in emails. That doesn't make what they say in those emails true or correct. Them saying you can't have a holster covering any part of the gun while open carrying, directly contradicts the definition of open carry written in oregon gun laws. I belive it goes something like, openly carried on a belt and in a holster. Even if a person open carries according to state law, no one will be able to see an open carried gun from every approach angle of that person; it's impossible.
I was gonna say, the only way to "carry" a pistol that is not "in a holster" is IN YOUR HAND. Good lord, this is practically a standup comedy sketch all on its own.

@Christopher wh - was that a direct copy/paste or paraphrasing on your part?

I was gonna say, the only way to "carry" a pistol that is not "in a holster" is IN YOUR HAND. Good lord, this is practically a standup comedy sketch all on its own.

I was paraphrasing, but here is the copy and past: ORS 166.250 section

(3)

Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

Yes Brad it was a direct copy and paste someone mentioned that I should print it and carry it with me in my car that way I have a copy of it better yet I'm just going to get my CHL

I think you're supposed to twirl as you walk 🤔

The easiest thing to do if you want to transport a loaded handgun in Oregon in the interior passenger compartment of a vehicle if you don't have an Oregon CHL, is to buy a SnapSafe handgun box or something similar.
no, it has to be unloaded and separate from the ammo which has to also be locked up. I thought it also had to be in the trunk or other non passenger area...

The easiest thing to do if you want to transport a loaded handgun in Oregon in the interior passenger compartment of a vehicle if you don't have an Oregon CHL, is to buy a SnapSafe handgun box or something similar.
no, it has to be unloaded and separate from the ammo which has to also be locked up. I thought it also had to be in the trunk or other non passenger area...

If you're willing to spend more, use that one to hold the ammo and something like this for the gun:

Much thicker metal and can't be defeated with a paperclip or yanked from the cable in one or two pulls.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews