JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, after weighing all of your thoughtful comments about which two guns I should get for my son and I, I went with these:

Glock G22 (Me)
Glock G17 (Son)

Advantage Arms .22 lr conversion kit. (will work on both of the above pistols)

I bought both Glocks through Coctailer, and they should arrive at his compound today!! So far he has been an absolute pleasure to work with and I will document the whole experience once finished.

BTW-I applied for my CPL on Monday :s0155:

PbP--Is a Glock a sufficiently "crappy" first gun for my son? :D

PbP--Is a Glock a sufficiently "crappy" first gun for my son? :D

I'll answer that! Yep it is a wonderfully cheap, reliable, and functional gun for a newbie.

I don't own one and I doubt I ever will. I think they are like the small block Chevys of guns... overly hyped, cheap, relatively reliable, and popular with the masses. Dispite how other view their beloved Glockz they are a far cry from the Rolls Royce of guns. :s0114:

I'll answer that! Yep it is a wonderfully cheap, reliable, and functional gun for a newbie.

I don't own one and I doubt I ever will. I think they are like the small block Chevys of guns... overly hyped, cheap, relatively reliable, and popular with the masses. Dispite how other view their beloved Glockz they are a far cry from the Rolls Royce of guns. :s0114:

"small block Chevy"????? Try Honda Civic or Toyota Camry. Run forever with relatively no maintenance, reasonably priced, utterly reliable, not pretty or fancy, etc.

Good choice on the Glock 17 by the way.

Good choices TyPercy. Also good choice working with Andrew to purchase these.

Hope your son likes the G17. If you get the chance, you should also try the G19 one day.
It has such a huge following because it just works well for so many people - like the Toyota Camry!

I've taught 2 friends to shoot - and both ended up buying G19s as they were most accurate with that over any other 9mm semi auto the range had to offer.
I have a third friend who has a S&W M&P .40 and after shooting my G19, is now selling the S&W to buy the Glock 19.

I have over 10,000 rounds through mine in the last 5 years and not one malfunction.
It shoots accurately enough for me - as a defensive gun.
I practice with 5 round magazines (to get fast magazine change practice) and I can put three separate 5 shot 3-4" groups on 3 separate targets in just over 10 seconds, with the 2 magazine changes.

I'm sure there will be many more guns in our future. I think these two will at least get us started. What is the Rolls Royce of guns? I need to know what to start saving for. :s0155:

Good choices TyPercy. Also good choice working with Andrew to purchase these.

Hope your son likes the G17. If you get the chance, you should also try the G19 one day.
It has such a huge following because it just works well for so many people - like the Toyota Camry!

I've taught 2 friends to shoot - and both ended up buying G19s as they were most accurate with that over any other 9mm semi auto the range had to offer.
I have a third friend who has a S&W M&P .40 and after shooting my G19, is now selling the S&W to buy the Glock 19.

I have over 10,000 rounds through mine in the last 5 years and not one malfunction.
It shoots accurately enough for me - as a defensive gun.
I practice with 5 round magazines (to get fast magazine change practice) and I can put three separate 5 shot 3-4" groups on 3 separate targets in just over 10 seconds, with the 2 magazine changes.

Definitely something to think about. I'll have to rent one sometime.

BTW-I drive an 89 Honda Civic with 365,000 miles on it. Guess it's fitting that I like the Glocks.

I'm sure there will be many more guns in our future. I think these two will at least get us started. What is the Rolls Royce of guns? I need to know what to start saving for. :s0155:

I can't answer that because it is completely subjective. There is a gun for everybody but that gun is not the same gun for everybody.

Oh and to the Glock guys...

CHEVY! :D

Understand I have no problem with Glocks. They are very utilitarian. They work reliably too. Sorry though I am not about to worship them and proclaim them to even be toyota's, honda's, or whatever. They are simply a small block pickup truck in my eyes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a good truck. Just please don't try to tell me your Chevy is a Ferrari or a Rolls Royce MmmmmK.

Not even close. You should have bought him a Cobra. That stupid Glock will actually be reliable and accurate. What kind of first gun is that? Now he will never learn to appreciate how good it actually is with nothing crappy with which to compare it. :D

Dang! Maybe my wife is right. I'm a terrible father! :D We should be picking them up anytime now, just waiting for the Sheriff's office to give the OK. Sure wish I had applied for my CPL sooner so I wouldn't have to wait so long! It's torture, pure torture!

Who would want a Rolls Royce or Ferrari to run around town in and live their daily lives with? Going to the store, to work, picking up the kids, going on weekend trips to Grandmas house etc RR and Ferrari are Overly expensive to buy and operate and not overly reliable (as far as the Ferrari is concerned! and yes! I have owned one!) To say the least....... Ego boosting to be seen in one and say "I have a Ferrari or Rolls! (if that's your thing!) But not efficient, not easy to work on, high maintenance, expensive (did I already say that :s0114: ), Unlike the Chevy's!, Toyota's and Honda's that are inexpensive (that's different than cheap!), easy to work on and maintain and utterly reliable on delivery, with high spare parts availability, should you need them and can be worked on by most people!

Now if your thing is NOT reliability, dependability, ease of maintenance, cost effective... and you must keep up appearances by having "name brand" possessions........ then absolutely the Ferrari and Rolls Royce are your ideal things! BUT if you want to enjoy a near normal life and carry on daily living activities then maybe the Chevy (and Ford) are better suited and more reliable!

Hmmm... same could be said for guns? :huh: :s0155:

Picked up both Glocks today. Oh what a feeling! As soon as I can get to the range, I will post my initial review of both guns and when the .22 conversion comes, I will do that too.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top