JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is so true. I kill Elk with a .50 caliber muzzleloader, and finding no blood is common. When I make what I know is a good shot and there is no blood, it can be challenging to find the animal, mainly if they are with a group. The problem is that the 385gr pure lead bullet does not exit. I shot a cow last year and felt good about the shot, but there was not a drop of blood, nothing. I was able to follow her tracks and found her. The bullet had damaged the liver enough that she bled out internally but managed to go quite aways before tipping over. You may not believe this and I didn't either, but I shot a Coyote up its' bubblegum, and not only was there no blood, but the bullet didn't exit and this was with a 7mm rem mag!

Coyotes are tough, and shots that would be instantly fatal on other critters very often seem to have little or no initial effect on a Coyote.

This one was hit at a "balls to the wall" dead run broadside at 75 yards with a .221 Fireball rifle, and that is the ENTRANCE wound, in which the heart is actually visible inside. (Bullet was a thin-jacketed 45gr softpoint that apparently began to expand on impact with hair.) This is where and how he fell.

Despite a non-operational heart, he still had all four legs and oxygen-impregnated blood in his stream enough to continue running (no reaction to the shot) for 75-80 yards, at which time it appeared his extension cord pulled out of the wall and he was probably stone dead before his chin hit the dirt.

I hate them for what I have seen them do to other animals, but for this and other reasons I also respect, revere and am in awe of them. A truly worthy opponent.

1683123868050.jpeg

We had a black tail doe literally gutted while it was alive less that 40 feet from our back door in our green space as best odfw could tell. It had to have been an ugly death, what it looked like when we found it was not pretty
Every night our two cats and our two dogs are locked in the house- one reason for the early morning outing. I have not started hunting them yet but if I came across one I would do what I could to make it history.

I'm sorry for your loss and I'm not saying they're not a nuisance that should be eliminated. Judgement... hardly. However, any shot on any living thing should be done with some amount of ethical responsibility.

As for the neighbors house... maybe I should have made my statement in question form. Regardless, I'd be shocked, if given the statement made by the OP, that someone else wouldn't have wondered about proximity as well.
You say you weren't being judgmental, but that can often be hard to portray via written word. Without judging, let's have a look at what you wrote:

You shot into your neighbors property? I'm hoping there is a decent amount of property between you all...

As far as the shot it sounds like you wounded it and it ran off to die a slow painful death. Personally I would have let him be and prepared myself with a better option of weapon for his inevitable return so the job could be done well.

Just curious how far were you from the animal?

Honestly, this first paragraph, especially with the ending ellipsis, is hard to interpret as positive.
You shot into your neighbors property? I'm hoping there is a decent amount of property between you all...
A well-meaning forum member might have included a disclaimer of some sort, or just assumed that the OP knew what he was doing and left this out. Again, not judging, just observing appearances.

Next, giving you the benefit of the doubt, one could assume that you are an experienced coyote hunter.
As far as the shot it sounds like you wounded it and it ran off to die a slow painful death.
But from what you posted later, it seems not, leaving this part, in retrospect, sounding rather judgmental.

And the final line:
Just curious how far were you from the animal?
The phrase "just curious" can be an innocent couching of a question, or a very sarcastic one. There's no indication which it might be. One can only rely on their impression of the previous paragraphs.

In summary, while you probably meant no harm, I hope you can now see how the post could easily be interpreted otherwise. Please don't let this discourage you from posting here - and I mean this sincerely - as I'm sure you have insights, information and opinions that we can appreciate.

Your experience (and of those you know) is important and I recognize it is all you have to go on. Despite those experiences, once again: a miss or a bad hit are NOT the majority causes of no blood trail, and when compared to the totality of all other possibilities, those two reasons might fall into a distinct minority.

My greater concern that prompted my terse negative response ("Nope.") is the fact that hunters on this website are of varying experience, and many (myself included) come here to learn. When a statement is made such as, "lack of a bloodtrail is usually a missed shot or a bad hit", some Members here may take that to heart (no pun intended), and when placed in that situation draw a conclusion and make very important decisions (how much time to spend following up, etc.) based on the inaccuracy.

Your inquiry toward clarifying my brief response was welcomed, and it is my wish that you hunt long enough to experience EACH of the "no bloodtrail" scenarios that I speculated had not crossed your path yet, and that you enjoy the self-satisfaction of persistence despite no blood trail to discover you indeed made a good, killing shot.
Again, your comments are appreciated. I also respect and understand your statements and concerns regarding other hunters.

I myself, will continue to hunt anything I can and perhaps one day I'll experience a good shot no blood scenario. Can't say I'm excited about it, cause the thought of knowing I had a good hit, but seeing no signs and not seeing or hearing the animal fall in the first 100 yards or so gives me anxiety. In any case, I'll also continue to glean from more experienced hunters and gunmen and add to my knowledge base.

You say you weren't being judgmental, but that can often be hard to portray via written word. Without judging, let's have a look at what you wrote:

Honestly, this first paragraph, especially with the ending ellipsis, is hard to interpret as positive.

A well-meaning forum member might have included a disclaimer of some sort, or just assumed that the OP knew what he was doing and left this out. Again, not judging, just observing appearances.

Next, giving you the benefit of the doubt, one could assume that you are an experienced coyote hunter.

But from what you posted later, it seems not, leaving this part, in retrospect, sounding rather judgmental.

And the final line:

The phrase "just curious" can be an innocent couching of a question, or a very sarcastic one. There's no indication which it might be. One can only rely on their impression of the previous paragraphs.

In summary, while you probably meant no harm, I hope you can now see how the post could easily be interpreted otherwise. Please don't let this discourage you from posting here - and I mean this sincerely - as I'm sure you have insights, information and opinions that we can appreciate.
Appreciate this.

Generally speaking I'm not a judemental person (although I am pretty good at sarcasm) and my initial post was one of concern for people and animals alike.

I assumed the OP would not had made such a post without following proper gun safety measures and ethical shots on animals. I was trying to flush out some details. That said, I have known some a$$hats that do neither of the above and are happy to brag about it.

As has been discussed, my comments on the shot itself were made from my experiences and I can see that coming off judgmental or frustrated or inexperienced. None of which were the case.

I once shot a coyote that was slowly walking along a game trail. After tracking him in the scope into a clear area, and just as I was pulling the trigger he suddenly dropped on his hind end and tipped his head up to howl. This put my bullet instead of through his head, through his throat. And like in a movie he had blood squirting out both sides of his neck.
The coyote took off and was out of sight in less than 10 yards. But I knew he was not getting far. From where he was shot the area was covered in blood, but no coyote. I searched for a good 1/2 hour, and went home to get our lab. The dog was able to find the coyote in minutes. He had crawled in a hole under some tree roots that I never would have believed a coyote could fit into. So just because the OP could not find his, does not mean its not dead. DR

Some of these responses crack me up.

Nature isn't brutal, or fierce, or gentle.

Nature is.

Food is life and Nature doesn't waste protein.

I don't like 'yotes for the same reason I don't like mountain lions. We compete for the same animals.

Remember, almost nothing in Nature dies of old age.

P

Some of these responses crack me up.

Nature isn't brutal, or fierce, or gentle.

Nature is.

Food is life and Nature doesn't waste protein.

I don't like 'yotes for the same reason I don't like mountain lions. We compete for the same animals.

Remember, almost nothing in Nature dies of old age.

P
I hope to die of old age

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews