JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some interesting statistics from Dogsbite.org:

In the 11-year period of 2005 through 2015, canines killed 360 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 64% (232) of these deaths. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers contributed to 76% of the total recorded deaths.

in 2015 the numbers were higher
2015-dog-bite-fatality-chart.gif

A good study of pit bull owners (which parallels some of the things already suggested in this thread) - but does NOT completely exonerate the dog.
Pit Bull Owners - DogsBite.org

Last Edited:
image.jpg Those numbers speak volumes.
And yes, not all of them are viscous blood thirsty killers.
They can be though, and it's idiot owners that have caused this, although, just as with the dogs, not all are idiots.
There's no denying the facts that over the past 150 years that the vast majority have been bred to be aggressive animals.
Ever see a pig hunt using pittbulls? I have and can tell you it's as brutal as it gets.
Back in South Carolina my daughter worked as a vet tech for animal control and I had the opportunity to check the place out several times. The vast majority of the dogs picked up in the greater Charlestown area were pits, and the majority of those skitso, twitchy nuts. Most were put down after the mandatory wait for the owner that never showed. Sad, but most were inner city dogs that were raised to be mean.
Anyone that doesn't have their head buried in the sands of denial
And isn't blind, or deaf or can't read knows that these dogs, as with any dog can turn quickly.
But the reality is that when these turn, things get deadly more often than not.
And no Millspencer, I'm not advocating the death of your buddy.

I am sure Sgt. Stubby was a great dog and a first rate soldier.
But the America of 1917-1926 was vastly different in attitudes , outlooks and values than the America of today.

I am willing to bet that the way Sgt. Stubby was raised and trained played a huge part in what he did.

I have had bad experiences with pitbulls.
And to honest other dog breeds as well.
But having a family cat torn from your wife's and mauled to near death* before you can get the cat away .... Will shape your opinion of a dog and dog breed.

I am dog guy ... I like dogs.
Big , little , hunting breeds , sporting breeds , heck even those little rag a muffin ankle biters can be fun.
But I can not trust a pitbull again.

For those that do and like 'em and love 'em ... I say fine .... but not for me.
I am not saying every pit is a killer or pit owner a bad person ... Just that I won't trust a pit again.

Also I am not for bans or outlawing of dog breeds , or certain guns either :D just 'cause I don't like 'em.
Why should the good dogs and good dog owners suffer 'cause of the actions of someone else?
( or other dog's actions )
Just don't ask me to like or trust a pitbull again ...

*Note sadly we had to put our beloved Sally down 'cause of her injuries.
Andy

Edit for pre-coffee typing...

War is totally different than civilian life. Certain animals have played a larger than life role in such conflicts but it doesn't make them suitable for civilian life. Wojtek is an example: The Soldier Bear Wojtek Story

Not really where I was going...
I do indeed know that war is far different than civilian life.

The main point I was trying to make was that across the board America today is vastly different than the America of 1917-1926.
That the dogs of all America and dog owners are different then from now.

Across the board as in all walks of life.
Andy

Some interesting statistics from Dogsbite.org:

In the 11-year period of 2005 through 2015, canines killed 360 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 64% (232) of these deaths. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers contributed to 76% of the total recorded deaths.

in 2015 the numbers were higher
View attachment 339499

A good study of pit bull owners (which parallels some of the things already suggested in this thread) - but does NOT completely exonerate the dog.
Pit Bull Owners - DogsBite.org

Ahh yes. Dogsbite.org. The "Moms demand" of dogs.

a6e2c0a6730d2280004125426b52107f.jpg

I sure hope they take guns from people because of what the bad people do. People that can't count their balls and come up w the same number twice. Surely wouldn't know what a true pit is.

Last Edited:
You realize Pit Bull is derived from fighting pit. It's a breed that has characteristics for fighting, locking jaws, savage bite and huge muscle mass, for one purpose which is fighting. Instinct plays a huge part in the animal world, more so than environment.
But when you look at the news stories over the last few years they sound the same.
"Knocked on the door to see his friend when pit bull mauled him to death as owner tried to stop it"
"Waiting at school bus stop when two pit bull attacked and mauled to death 4th grader."
"Off duty cop shoots pit bull mauling homeless man"
Seriously Google search it.
Sure there are good dogs, good owners but look at the pups raised by a family that turns on them.
"Grandmother attacked by pit bull doing ice bucket challenge."
150 deaths in 5 years is crazy and when most are children.............

N Country Top Two Breeds Identified Ref
1971 US Dept. Health 843 United States (VA) mixed breed
German Shepherd Dog 1
1971-1974 Hospital records 50 South Africa German Shepherd Dog
Labrador Retriever 2
1973-1976 US Dept. Health 2618 United States (AL) German Shepherd Dog
Collie 3
1979-1982 Health Dept. Severe attacks 16 United States (SC) pit bull type
Saint Bernard 21
1981-1983 US Reservations 772 United States mixed breed
unspecified pedigree 19
1982 Hospital Records 420 Canada German Shepherd
mixed breed 54
1982-1989 Hospital records 146 United Kingdom pit bull type
Jack Russell Terrier 22
1987-1988 HASS 487 United Kingdom mixed breed
German Shepherd Dog 4
1979-1998 Fatalities 27 United States pitt bull type
Rottweiler 23
1969-2007 Fatalities 5 New Zealand pitt bull type
1989 Hospital records 168 United States German Shepherd Dog
pit bull type 5
1989 Hospital records 75 United Kingdom German Shepherd Dog
mixed breed 6
1991 Animal control records 357 United States German Shepherd Dog
Chow Chow 7
1991+1994 Hospital records 198 United Kingdom German Shepherd Dog
mixed breed 8
1989-1996 Hospital records 1109 United States (CA) pit bull type
German shepherd 9
1990-2007 Fatalities 28 Canada mixed breed husky
"sled dog" 56
1995 Patients receiving rabies post-exposure prophylaxis ~8000 United States (PA) German Shepherd Dog
mixed breed 10
1991-2000 Hospital records 654 Spain German Shepherd Dog
mixed breed 11
1996 Hospital records 1916 Australia German Shepherd Dog
Bull Terrier 57
1995-1997 Animal control ? United States pit bull type
Chow Chow 24
1997 Hospital records 385 Canada German Shepherd Dog
Cocker Spaniel 11
1998-2002 Hospital records 72 Canada Rottweiler
German Shepherd Dog 58
2002 Accident compensation claims 535 New Zealand Mixed breed
German shepherd dog 17
1991-2004 Hospital records 25 South Africa pit bull type
German Shepherd Dog 59
1994-2005 Hospital records 341 Austria mixed breed
German Shepherd Dog 12
1997-2003 Hospital records 11 United States Rottweiler
German Shepherd Dog 15
2001-2002 ACC claims 3020 New Zealand German Shepherd Dog
pit bull type 13
2000-2004 Hospital records 593 United Kingdom Rottweiler
Jack Russell Terrier 28
2001-2005 Hospital records 551 United States pit bull type
Rottweiler 25
2002-2005 Veterinary referral 111 United States (PA) Springer Spaniel
German Shepherd Dog 14
2004-2005 Survey based on Dog Bite Line contacts 234 Ireland Collie
Spanie 29
2001-2011 Hospital records 436 United Kingdom Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Jack Russell Terrier 27
2000-2012 Hospital records 431 Switzerland German Shepherd Dog
Rottweiller 18
2005-2009 Hospital records 40 United States (SC) Pit bull type
Rottweiler 26

From the American veteriny medical association. We should have killed Shepard's , Dobermans and Rottweilers. You can't fix stupid. Just give em guns. Rubber sheet brigade unite !!!!!

Regardless of what they're bread for doesn't discount my personal 20 years experience w these dogs. Sam is over 11 years old and a loyal loving dog. Just like Kater the female I had before him. Kater is German for dog. It's the terriers endurance with the bulldogs stubbornness that you must watch for. No one that knows Sam fears him. Stranger's on our secluded land do. He is always with me in the Jeep and people at the gas station give him biscuits and pet him. You must be a responsible pet owner for any dog that could be a danger. I feel for the breed because bad people do bad things to them. It's honestly like telling me I can't have firearms because of what bad people do with them. I'm not asking anyone to own one. I've owned a lab, lab mix, Shepard,, Brittany Spaniel, 2 different husky mix dogs. And I prefer these. I love my dog like you love yours. And I can assure you Sam is no threat to you family or your pets. Let's hold the owners responsible. If that's acceptable. Thanks.

Looks exactly like all the other "cute, lovable (killer)dogs" that have bit me over the years with me doing absolutely nothing but being there. Starting at age 4 months being bit by a dog while in a stroller that my mother was pushing down the sidewalk minding our own business. Tell me how I provoked the poor dog into biting me or how it was my fault. Every other time I have been bit is about the same. What a load of bubblegum, dogs do just not like me for some reason, Next time my wife's chihuahua bites me it is dogie meets Colt and probably the end of a 34 year old marriage. The dog my wife has which is our first after all her pleadings for over 30 years. The nicer I am to him the more aggressive he is to me and the more he uses the house as his indoor toilet. The more I yell, berate, threaten and make life miserable for him the better he acts. I didn't start out in life not liking dogs but their actions over the years towards me have lead me to that attitude.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top