JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Brown gravy days
When I was a kid in the 50's and into the 60's, every Woolworth's store had a lunch counter. Prices were economical. Fast food probably put those out of business. But I remember the K-Mart in-store eating area in back. They had tables where groups could sit. Low prices, as the 1977 ad shows.

(Derp) I got 102nd/82nd cornfused. Yeah, that 82nd store is a scary area!
The 102nd store ain't exactly Shangri-La.

Being close to the Potland/Gresham line we make a point of buying everything possible in Gresham. Will drive out of the way to deny Potland their 10 cents/gallon gas tax. F Potland and everyone that supports what it's become!!

When I was a kid in the 50's and into the 60's, every Woolworth's store had a lunch counter. Prices were economical. Fast food probably put those out of business. But I remember the K-Mart in-store eating area in back. They had tables where groups could sit. Low prices, as the 1977 ad shows.
I had completely forgotten those places having food like that. When I was a kid it was always a treat to go to those stores and have lunch. Damn that brings back memories.

I had completely forgotten those places having food like that. When I was a kid it was always a treat to go to those stores and have lunch. Damn that brings back memories.
When I moved to Portland in '83, "Newberry's" across from Lloyd Center Mall had a cafeteria in the back corner. Walk in the door and you smell it. Those places always smelled like the school lunch rooms. K-Mart in Utah didn't have a cafeteria I don't believe. They did have the ice cream and sandwich counter though. I remember cheap hoagies, or some sandwich, that were cheap and dad would buy a couple dozen and freeze them. Ahh, depression era kids! :D

Lipman's had a nice little restaurant also. Meyer and Franks had a pet store on the 4th floor that sold skunks ..... and even Gibbon Apes! Then of course the cool Xmas 10th floor monorail. Ride for ... a DIME. That was the early 70s. Pretty much everything was better and people hadn't lost their desire to enjoy each others company like today. M/Fs elevator ladies were pretty awesome also. Which floor sir? - even though I was just a kid lol.

At age 7-8 I'd roam all over downtown, no problems at all. Then a large paper route at age 9-12, same, no issues.
Try that today in our new enlightened world.

Thanks SM 2007+

Last Edited:
At age 7-8 I'd roam all over downtown, no problems at all. Then a large paper route at age 9-12, same, no issues.
Try that today in our new enlightened progressive world.

I'm "Gen X" and remember all of these places right up until I was a teenager. In Phoenix, AZ, Smitty's (like a Fred Meyer) had both a restaurant and a cafe/pizza area. So good.

Maybe the worst thing about being "Gen X" is I got to sample all of the good things from the past, but now I have to suffer what the world is becoming.

I'm "Gen X" and remember all of these places right up until I was a teenager. In Phoenix, AZ, Smitty's (like a Fred Meyer) had both a restaurant and a cafe/pizza area. So good.

Maybe the worst thing about being "Gen X" is I got to sample all of the good things from the past, but now I have to suffer what the world is becoming.
What's painful to think about is it's late boomers, and Gen-x children's, children that are the problem.

As a child I relished and had deep respect for the elders where I lived, and still do, naturally give respect to people. The only difference is, I ARE one now!

Last Edited:
What's painful to think about is it's late boomers, and Gen-x children's, children that are such nasty animals.

As a child I relished and had deep respect for the elders where I lived, and still do, naturally give respect to people. The only difference is, I ARE one now!
Wait, you're a child or an elder now?

Wait, you're a child or an elder now?
Still a child in a lot of ways, don'tcha know? Unlike a lot of people, from what I hear, I respect people from the get-go. If after that they show they don't deserve respect? They won't get it. Maybe that's part of the big problem now? People not respecting others.

"Respect all women? Not a chance. Every woman is like any other person. You earn respect. It isn't just assigned to you. Most women are not worthy of my respect anyway" - Tom Leykis

1716747155925.png

1716747195314.png

1716747100322.png

Aloha, Mark

"Respect all women? Not a chance. Every woman is like any other person. You earn respect. It isn't just assigned to you. Most women are not worthy of my respect anyway" - Tom Leykis
When you look up what a "leykis" is in the dictionary there is a picture of a dick.

I am guessing that most members here don't believe hyperinflation is a likely event that will happen in the US?

For the few that do believe it's going to happen, how are you preparing your finances to deal with it?

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top