JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hidden inflation is when manufacturers cut corners and think you won't notice. Like the dry cereal boxes now that are super thin but look the same on the shelf as the old sizes. Or the ice cream drums that used to be a half gallon (2 quarts) and are now 1-1/2 quarts but they charge the same price (or more).

The latest thing I've noticed is in the produce section. It concerns cauliflower. Which I hate and it stinks to high Heaven when cooked. But Mrs. Merkt buys it to eat. What is different now is how the heads are trimmed. The growers are now leaving on a lot of the green waste below the head. The part they used to trim off. Now they leave it on and we pay more for the edible part because the green inedible part gets thrown away. Usually, cauliflower is old by the pound, much less often by the each. I guess mostly because of the variation in size.

Back when fresh pineapples were sold by the pound, my father-in-law would twist off the inedible top before he went through the checkstand.

Hidden inflation is when manufacturers cut corners and think you won't notice. Like the dry cereal boxes now that are super thin but look the same on the shelf as the old sizes. Or the ice cream drums that used to be a half gallon (2 quarts) and are now 1-1/2 quarts but they charge the same price (or more).

The latest thing I've noticed is in the produce section. It concerns cauliflower. Which I hate and it stinks to high Heaven when cooked. But Mrs. Merkt buys it to eat. What is different now is how the heads are trimmed. The growers are now leaving on a lot of the green waste below the head. The part they used to trim off. Now they leave it on and we pay more for the edible part because the green inedible part gets thrown away. Usually, cauliflower is old by the pound, much less often by the each. I guess mostly because of the variation in size.

Back when fresh pineapples were sold by the pound, my father-in-law would twist off the inedible top before he went through the checkstand.

That one pisses me off the most. My weakness is a bowl of ice cream after dinner.

I expect inflation. I just dont like the false advertising, IE the ice cream container being shorted.
More corners will be cut, more things will be outsourced, and we will be closer to a third world country.

As for the veggies, that sucks. I have been known to remove "fluff" from stuff that gets sold by the pound. I aint paying for garbage.
My suggestion is if you are capable and have the means, plant a garden this spring. It may not fulfill all of your needs but it will certainly help.

They had to start selling them by the each because people would twist off the top before going through the check stand.

I noticed this last time i got Sushi, the nigri were about 3/4ths of the size they used to be as were the rolls.. but the price had gone up by 1/3rd or more

It's called shrinkflation.

Nothing new.

Sadly it is happening more now than ever.

Wife has mentioned to me that many recipes now use weight because so many packages keep changing. Companies do it because it works, can't blame them there. The way I love ice cream now and then it will not be long till the "half gallon" container will be a one serving container. Will not even have to dirty a dish, just eat out of the container and toss :D

The Ice Cream packaging has gotten smaller.
But......it happened a while back.
So....they'll probably raise prices next.
Rrrrrright.....and once we are used to it.....the packaging will again be reduced. And the cycle will continue.

interdasting.jpg

But......he won't notice.

2z7wm6.jpg

Aloha, Mark

It's happened all my life, with each recession. Usually the incremental changes are small and often the manufacturers use the same large packaging for smaller versions of the product. The shrinkflation that concerns me most is the unseen corners cut in quality control and [claimed] materials used in the production of something I rely on.

excess wrapping.jpg chocolate chip.jpg

Last Edited:
It's happened all my life, with each recession. Usually the incremental changes are small and often the manufacturers use the same large packaging for smaller versions of the product. The shrinkflation that concerns me most is the unseen corners cut in quality control and [claimed] materials used in the production of something I rely on.

View attachment 1106719 View attachment 1106720
YEP! I have long been annoyed at the make the package smaller to fool but, I am FAR more scared of the lets cut corners to save. This is maybe the one time the flood of lawyers we have maybe does some good. When something is done that causes harm it can be VERY expensive so it probably helps control this to some extent. For other things its just plain annoying when things are made cheaper and of course just fall apart and or quit working far faster.
I think of the times pet food and treats have been found to kill pets and then wonder about the stuff made for us in that country. The same country that gave us Covid 19. :eek:

I hate this tactic. A cup of freaking yogurt used to be 8 oz...which was a reasonable portion size for yogurt. Now it's something insane like 5.32791 oz. Because that makes total sense.

You used to be able to buy a 1 lb bag of coffee. Now it's a 12 oz bag...unless you buy it in bulk. It's just so stupid. The consumers NOTICE when things shrink. They ain't fooling anyone.

I hate this tactic. A cup of freaking yogurt used to be 8 oz...which was a reasonable portion size for yogurt. Now it's something insane like 5.32791 oz. Because that makes total sense.

You used to be able to buy a 1 lb bag of coffee. Now it's a 12 oz bag...unless you buy it in bulk. It's just so stupid. The consumers NOTICE when things shrink. They ain't fooling anyone.
Consumers may notice but they keep buying the ever shrinking packages. I am as guilty as the next buyer.

If a person wants to buy in bulk, then you can get a better feel for the actual price per weight, or look closely at the little store shelf tags and do a little math.

Last Edited:
People would rather pay the same for less than more for the same. It's just phycology
Yeah? People also would rather hit the brakes to slow down so they can ogle the accident in the opposite lanes of the freeway. Throwing all caution to the side and increasing the odds of causing an accident on THEIR side of the freeway. More people are getting more oblivious to common sense every year. Just look at the kind of people they elect, and the lies they believe from the people they elect, to public office!

Yeah? People also would rather hit the brakes to slow down so they can ogle the accident in the opposite lanes of the freeway. Throwing all caution to the side and increasing the odds of causing an accident on THEIR side of the freeway. More people are getting more oblivious to common sense every year. Just look at the kind of people they elect, and the lies they believe from the people they elect, to public office!
I have heard a couple well educated people talk about this as Mass Psychosis. The more they explain it the more it makes sense. I used to wonder as a kid how people like Hitler got so many to go along with the insane stuff he did. Now all these years later it is starting to make more sense when explained by this. Media of course is hair on fire calling it junk science. When they are asked how it happened in Germany then they do not want to answer. Really scary.

I have heard a couple well educated people talk about this as Mass Psychosis. The more they explain it the more it makes sense. I used to wonder as a kid how people like Hitler got so many to go along with the insane stuff he did. Now all these years later it is starting to make more sense when explained by this. Media of course is hair on fire calling it junk science. When they are asked how it happened in Germany then they do not want to answer. Really scary.
I read some of that article that was here somewhere on "Mass Psychosis". It makes perfect sense. Being right here in the bubblegumty formerly known as Portland I can tell you I'm affected by it. A couple of times a week we hear gun shots. The wife has noticed many more angry outbursts at the store. I/we keep to ourselves now. It affects the soul seeing masked humans walking in open air and driving in their cars, like zombies. We only go to the store for necessities. In Freddy's they run propaganda over the PA Re; mask wearing. Pretty much the only form of out of the house entertainment is a road trip. Or I/we will go to a gun show, I feel comfortable around those kinds of people. I've become comfortable in my home, but am uneasy in public. I DO NOT make a huge scene or have angry outbursts. I'd rather be in the back ground, blending in. An outlet for me is paying homage to our ruler and dictator here in Oregon by proudly proclaiming "Let's Go kate brown!" every time I put on/take off the face diaper. :D And let me tell you, that diaper is put on/taken off at the threshold of what ever business I'm coming or going from. Not one second early or late.
I've watched a good number of those shows on The AHC channel about WWII and how hitler came to power, and G-D, if there isn't a parallel there, the sun doesn't rise in the East!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top