JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've discovered an old box in the garage that had a box of 9mm ammo. 30 rds of WWB FMJ and 20 of Speer GD it looks like. I remember this box and it's over 12 years old. It's always been in a box and in dry environments. Doesn't look like any rusting. Is this still good to use?

I would not use them in my carry or house gun for defense but for a range trip I would shoot them up
12 years old is not that old in ammo life

Last Edited:
I just shot up a box of remington .22s from '92 that had been stored in dubious and varied conditions. My oldest boxes of ammo are from the '20s I think.

I have some .38 Spec handloads I put together back in the early '80's and I am quite confident they are just fine. Stored in a temperature controlled room in our basement in dry eastern Washington climate. Maybe I will shoot some of the next trip to the range.

Age is not as much of a factor (within reason) as storage conditions.

Cool and dry wins the day.

If stored this way, "CHOOT EM"

Ummm

How old is some Krink ammo that people are shooting still? I see @MountainBear shooting 50's era munitions in his rifles quite often. I only know that because I'm doing his brass prep.

Ummm

How old is some Krink ammo that people are shooting still? I see @MountainBear shooting 50's era munitions in his rifles quite often. I only know that because I'm doing his brass prep.

And I love you for it Brother!

I shoot older ammo all the time. My preferred .30-06 out of my (many) milsurps in that caliber is HXP from the 70's. I have no issue shooting old ammo. But when I hunt or carry a gun, the ammo is always high quality and new. Those times matter. A click on the range is annoying, but not critical (hopefully). A click on a bear hunt in Alaska or a self-defense situation is a little different.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top