JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The cheapest time ever (considering inflation) for .22 ammo must have been the '90s. I know at one point I bought 10 of those $8.88 boxes of 550 at Walmart. It took me years to use them up.

I remember my grandfather telling me about buying .22 short ammo for 24cents per box when he was young in the 1930s. I always thought that was cool, until not long ago when I typed it in an inflation calculator. Yeah, not much different than we're paying now actually.

Funny thing, as I was reading this thread I glanced over at a shelf about three feet from my face. Here's what's sitting on my shelf.

IMG_4518[1].jpg

Some of my friends' cars ran on Wigwam oil. Like 50¢/gallon and worth it!
I still have a gallon can with the side cut out to drain oil from my motorcycle. It has the Indian that looks plum tuckered out on the side and the logo reads "A Buck well spent". I miss the cheapy teepee. A fellow from High School whose father was a partner in the chain let his son Bruce and his pal Roger go to Hawaii to work at a Wigwam store in 63 or 64. They took Bruce's 63 black split window Corvette with them.

Last Edited:
I still have a gallon can with the side cut out to drain oil from my motorcycle. It has the Indian that looks plum tuckered out on the side and the logo reads "A Buck well spent". I miss the cheapy teepee. A fellow from High School whose father was a partner in the chain let his son Bruce and his pal Roger go to Hawaii to work at a Wigwam store in 63 or 64. They took Bruce's 63 black split window Corvette with them.
Oh, those were the days. Mom worked at the Wigwam on Pacific Highway So, in Seattle (now Tukwila) before I-5 was built. It was the main north-south highway up and down the west coast, if anyone can imagine that. ("W.R."?) Hirsch & Co. had their Seattle warehouse at the south end of Boeing field, just across I-5. Must have been radio commercials, but I'll never forget:
"Wigwam, the Wigwam Store, your dollar buys more at the Wigwam Store."

Crap we're old!

Not my first firearm but my 1st purchase from a dealer was a SKS dipped in cosmoline and a crate of ammo from 3 Bears in Vancouver. IIRC, it was just south of $200 out the door during mid 80's. Seems cheap however rent was about $250 month.

Last Edited:
I'm still shooting $2 a box Uly 7.62X39, and can remember when surplus stores had "surplus' and pickle barre; full or rifles from $5-$25 bucks. The ones in the racks or wall were $50 to $100, very expensive. PAX

Last Edited:
Kinda hard reading this, fun though …..stuff is pricey compared, but income is different too.

Little jealous….. I wasn't able to get my hands on a firearm until 1999..can't remember what I was paying for ammo but didn't care. Just wanted to mag dump. Though working at $5 a hour… when I wanted to, I could afford a spam can of 7.62 for the $200 SKS. And buy magnum 3" hunting loads for the 12g without sweating it.
I'm glad I got into reloading just couple years ago.

Last Edited:
I remember 23 cents a gallon and they gave away a dish if you filled up over 10 gallons.
There used to be a small country store out in Bethany off of 185th and the owners left the door open at night in case somebody got sick out in the farm country and Mama needed some medicine or whatever. You just left them a note on the table and paid them the next time you saw them. They had ammo in there too. Boy howdy things have changed.

Anyone remember S&H Green Stamps or Blue Chip Stamps? I think there was even a Gold colored stamp that wasn't as popular.
I do remember that. I used to work for a heating oil company that gave out Green Stamps based on how much heating oil the customer bought. I even had a machine in the truck that would dispense the tickets for me :p

As a kid I remember two surplus stores in Eugene the 666 store and I believe the Eugene surplus store. There were open barrels of military surplus rifles just sitting in the aisles and tons of other military surplus items. My father was an NRA member and thru the local gun club he purchased two Remington 03A3 rifles new in the cosmoline for 19.99 ea. He sporterized one for a hunting rifle and kept the other original. I now have both of them. Boy have times changed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top