JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I picked these up last weekend. Talk about nostalgia! I used to shoot these by the brick back in the mid-'80s.

I remember one time I'd been to Bimart with a friend (I was too young to drive). I bought two bricks because they were on sale for $1 per box. My dad was enraged when I got home and he saw them. He couldn't believe that I'd spent $20 on ammunition. For him, a gun was a farm tool, nothing more. A box of 50 .22LR rounds should last a couple years at least.

This brick cost me $35 last weekend, a lot more than the $10/brick they cost back then. Funny thing though, when you punch the numbers into an online inflation calculator, $10 in 1985 is equivalent to around $28 now, not much less that what they cost now.

IMG_4539[1].jpg

These are the last 22s I bought in bulk many years ago, still have three bricks of them in storage in both HP and solids. They shoot great in my Sav. 22 bolt guns, so I reserved them for serious shooting only. They were around $15 a brick. Can't remember why, but the brand went by the wayside several months later and were no longer made.

Bullet 001 copy.jpg

I picked these up last weekend. Talk about nostalgia! I used to shoot these by the brick back in the mid-'80s.

I remember one time I'd been to Bimart with a friend (I was too young to drive). I bought two bricks because they were on sale for $1 per box. My dad was enraged when I got home and he saw them. He couldn't believe that I'd spent $20 on ammunition. For him, a gun was a farm tool, nothing more. A box of 50 .22LR rounds should last a couple years at least.

This brick cost me $35 last weekend, a lot more than the $10/brick they cost back then. Funny thing though, when you punch the numbers into an online inflation calculator, $10 in 1985 is equivalent to around $28 now, not much less that what they cost now.

View attachment 1388609
That's funny about your dad. My grandpa was the same way. He would buy a box of 25 peters shotgun shells one at a time and he just figured he could get me to do 25 days worth of work on the beef Farm shoveling manure just so I could go try to shoot a gopher with one shell haha. He was a damn good shot. Grew up in the depression. Hardscrabble

So I was out testing some 9 mm that I loaded up a couple weeks ago. This guy shows up with his 9-year-old kid to teach him how to shoot. So I watch them do their thing it was kind of a heartwarming father and son moment you know. They had one of those single shot bolt action 22s. I asked the guy if he wanted to let his son shoot my 9 mm carbine and he agreed and the kid was like lights out with it haha. So his Dad goes in his pickup and comes out and hands me a box of 50 .22 rounds. I thought that was mighty nice of him. He didn't have to do that. Check out the price on the rounds 😆

View attachment 1383696
Longs is a drugstore chain in Canada.
I think my red box of Hi-Speed's is about the same price.

Still hoping for the time when a brick of .22LR gets to be affordable once again, with the state of world events, I'm having my doubts...

My Dad had a FFL and subscribed to Shotgun News. My brother and I would also wear them out after my Dad was done.

All of the mail order guns and accessories came out of it. I bought him a computer so that he could shop online, but all he did with it was play solitaire.

Having a Dad with a FFL was very handy. He also reloaded using two Dillon 550's. I never ran out of free ammo.

People don't realize 93 cents was a lot in the good old days. :D

A week of buying school lunch was $1.25,for those kids who could afford it. Rest of us took a sack lunch.
This got me thinking, so I put that price into an inflation calculator.
If I got the date close, 93 cents then is about $7.70 now.
I went to Remington's website and the closest I could come to those old Hi-Speed rounds was Golden Bullet, but the solid points are only sold in a box of 100, so I just cut the price in half and figured, good enough.
That puts the box of 50 at $5.99 today.
So, proportionately, ammo's cheaper now, than it was back then....but I still wouldn't mind a box of 50 going for a buck or two these days. Seems like that's what it should be.

Last Edited:
Did anyone else get the deal on 22lr ammo from Fred Meyer one hunting season back in the early nineties?
Freddie's ran an ad for several weeks that had a coupon for $1.00 off a box of Remington rifle ammo, limit four boxes. The 22 long 'rifle' ammo cost 99 cents.
I took my four boxes and coupon up to the cashier. They told me, "Sorry, but we cannot give you four cents back, but if you purchase other items, we will credit your total."
I found every paper from family, friends, and neighbors and clipped that coupon. It took several trips, with the limit, but it was me who emptied the shelves of both local stores, making four cents a pop. Best deal ever!

Otherwise I would wait for the Black Friday deal. $2.50 a brick.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top