JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is a ton of DNR land that is open for shooting and hunting (usually unless stated otherwise).

<broken link removed>

Link for map instructions: <broken link removed>

Just be careful to observe the "Discovery Pass Required" signs if they are there. It seems like DNR is making just about as much money writing violator tickets as they are selling Discovery Passes these days.

You will truly be living in God's country. I envy you. :)

So, it's been a couple of weeks and I just heard this afternoon that I need to be up in Coulee Dam next Tuesday for final interviews. Barring getting hit by a bus there is a pretty good chance I'll be moving to Okanogan in the next month. :)

Sooooo, I'll finally be heading up there tomorrow and doing the final interview on Monday morning. After a month or so of researching I may be buying some land in Lincoln county instead...better schools for the boy. I plan on hitting Tonasket tomorrow afternoon, then working my way down and over to Wilbur to see what grabs me.

If you're gonna be working in Tonasket, driving from Wilbur every day would not be a good thing to try to do...although possible, you might find it a bit much. You'd be driving over Nespelam pass, then down to Omak, then 30 miles or so north to Tonasket.

Omak, Okanogan, Tonasket, heck even Oroville - all are good schools, unless you have a strings player (violin, viola, cello)...

If you're gonna be working in Tonasket, driving from Wilbur every day would not be a good thing to try to do...although possible, you might find it a bit much. You'd be driving over Nespelam pass, then down to Omak, then 30 miles or so north to Tonasket.

Omak, Okanogan, Tonasket, heck even Oroville - all are good schools, unless you have a strings player (violin, viola, cello)...

I'd actually be based out of Coulee Dam or Omak on the Res, so depending on which Wilbur would be OK if it was by the dam. The interview when OK, just waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully by tomorrow COB. If that doesn't work I also have something for Okanogan County brewing, and that would definitely be a move up to Tonasket or that area.

All in all, after driving around the entire county and the Res for two days, I really like the area :)

Ah, the Rez. Enjoy. Just remember the Rez has different rules for firearms than the rest of the state... When I was a kid, we used to walk the old narrow gauge right of way from the mill in Omak up towards Disautel...fishing in Omak creek.

I have to stop reading this thread. I get the itch to move back home...(well, this thread and face booking with friends from high school)...

Luckily we own our own business and as long as I have an Internet connection and a laptop I can work from anywhere on the planet :) That's why I find the job offer up there so intriguing: a reason to move somewhere less Californicated and I can work full time while my wife runs our company.

Okanogan PUD just contacted us. They are in the process of installing some new high speed internet towers and they wanted to install one on my property. You might want to email Okanogan PUD and find out about coverage when you have a basic idea whwre you are going to buy. 30 Meg tops.

hermannr, you're making me want to move over there!! Or if nothing else a second home east of the mountains.:D

Now is a good time, there are places for sale, and prices are stable to a bit lower than they were. When we lived in Skagit County (1970-2005) we would come over here for the sun, and to go hunting and fishing. We blew a real good buy back in 1980 just a few miles from where we live now. No buildings, poor access, no power or water....but 80 acres for $16k. If we had purchased it back then, we could have had it set up the way we wanted by the time we decided to retire and had 80 acres instead of 10. Woulda, shoulda, coulda...everyone has 20/20 hind sight

If you buy now, you could do that. Oh yes, Get on the tax sale list. They have stuff for sale that the property tax has not been paid on. Comes out once a year. There are always recreational properties on that list. It is auction style, cash only, opening bid is what is owed. Last year there was even a old patented hard rock silver mining claim on that list, something like 240 acres. Okanogan county has a property boundary map online with the assessors office. You can check a lot of stuff out, including an aerial photos and photos of any buildings, along with approxamate lat/lon that you can plug into Google Earth. Here is an example...a piece of vacant property my wife and I own. Disclaimer

hermannr, you're making me want to move over there!! Or if nothing else a second home east of the mountains.:D

Hej Rotty!

here: TerraScan TaxSifter - Okanogan County Washington

is a nice piece that I know will be for sale soon. (actually, probably would sell it now)

It has a small cabin, part (Kitchen, Bath, living room) of it is finished, part of it is not, water, power, telephone, soon to have very good high speed internet access, already has slow (256k)DSL....nice meadow, a few nice trees, gravel drive ( the driveway is on my property but that is ok, I allowed them to do that) Problem is divorce...

I know this should be a good buy for what it has available...I don't know how much Anna is asking yet, they are trying to finish the cabin first but it should go for under $100k, maybe well under..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top