JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another good question Koda. No, I would not call a triangle sight pic legit. However, for me, it was a trial/error discovery that allowed me to shoot the CZs with some kind of accuracy. Nope, I'd never compete with such a sight picture. For home defense they would do OK as I tend to point shoot at very close distances anyway. The current situation will have to be OK for now for me. Still pondering my long term options for these two. Best wishes.

No, I bought the pistol new and had a gun smith install some MeproLite sights on it. I hadn't thought about this.
Sounds like a "so-called" gunsmith.
Use the sight calculator at Dawson or Ameriglo and get the correct sights.
I think Dawson uses 20 yards, so bench the gun at 20 yards. (check the calculator)
Take notes.
Use the calculator and buy the correct sights.
Pistol Sight Pictures.png

Last Edited:
What is a "triangle sight picture"?

The front site dot is positioned above the two rear dots forming a triangle.

Forgive the newbie question, but is that even a legit sight picture?
Good question @Koda . For many people, they would not consider it a valid or typical sight picture. However, for others it is not uncommon for certain, generally defensive, uses. It's also known as "shooting out of the notch." Massad Ayoob began teaching it over 30 years ago as part of the Stressfire system known as "Stress Point Index." I have heard Todd Jarrett, a high end competitive shooter, uses this technique as well in some cases.

Generally out to about 7 yards, if you can get a flash sight picture with the front sight "out of the notch" of the rear sight, you will still get high chest cavity shots and be able to shoot faster by acquiring a sight picture more quickly. With a little practice you can see how far the front sight can be up and still be hitting where you want. Having said all this, I still want my guns to shoot POA - POI to start with.

Good question @Koda . For many people, they would not consider it a valid or typical sight picture. However, for others it is not uncommon for certain, generally defensive, uses. It's also known as "shooting out of the notch." Massad Ayoob began teaching it over 30 years ago as part of the Stressfire system known as "Stress Point Index." I have heard Todd Jarrett, a high end competitive shooter, uses this technique as well in some cases.

Generally out to about 7 yards, if you can get a flash sight picture with the front sight "out of the notch" of the rear sight, you will still get high chest cavity shots and be able to shoot faster by acquiring a sight picture more quickly. With a little practice you can see how far the front sight can be up and still be hitting where you want. Having said all this, I still want my guns to shoot POA - POI to start with.
1) IMO this "triangle sight picture" is bogus and bad form

2) POA-POI is very non-descriptive, although it may not seem so.
What is your preferred Sight Picture ?
Combat Hold ?
Center Hold ?

I like 6:00 Hold up to 25 yards
Then I switch to Center Hold for long shots to compensate for bullet drop.
Works.

1) I would think "low hits on the torso"

2) IMO this "triangle sight picture" is bogus and bad form

3) POA-POI is very non-descriptive, although it may not seem so.
What is your preferred Sight Picture ?
Combat Hold ?
Center Hold ?

I like 6:00 Hold up to 25 yards
Then I switch to Center Hold for long shots to compensate for bullet drop.
Works.
1) Not sure what you mean by this

2) Okay, I guess it's not for you :cool:

3) More descriptive, where you aim is where you hit (i.e., generally the bullet hole will will right above where the front blade of your sight was when you touched off the shot). Not sure what a "combat hold" is...but some people call this what you noted as bogus in #2

4) When defensive shooing (what I was referring to) there is no such thing as a 6 o'clock hold like in bullseye shooting...guess it could be just considered aiming low. Since bad guys don't wear targets on their shirts Point of Aim = Point of Impact is generally the preferred method of most shooters and instructors. Bullet drop from a 9mm between the muzzle and 50 yards is about 1", about 4" at 75 yards if POA = POI at 25 yards (based on the Hornady ballistic calculator.) If someone is 75 yards away my first choice will be to go get my rifle, second choice will be to aim a little higher.

Thanks for the conversation and perspective.

1) Not sure what you mean by this
My bad, I had my "triangle" upside down.
I cleaned it out but you were quick on the quote.

2) Okay, I guess it's not for you
Affirmative
3) More descriptive, where you aim is where you hit (i.e., generally the bullet hole will will right above where the front blade of your sight was when you touched off the shot). Not sure what a "combat hold" is...but some people call this what you noted as bogus in #2
The general consensus "Sight Pictures" are 3 types and I actually had them all posted above in Post #25
The reason "poa/poi" is not descriptive is because it can be different for different shooters (see Sight Pictures above)

4) When defensive shooing (what I was referring to) there is no such thing as a 6 o'clock hold like in bullseye shooting...guess it could be just considered aiming low. Since bad guys don't wear targets on their shirts Point of Aim = Point of Impact is generally the preferred method of most shooters and instructors. Bullet drop from a 9mm between the muzzle and 50 yards is about 1", about 4" at 75 yards if POA = POI at 25 yards (based on the Hornady ballistic calculator.) If someone is 75 yards away my first choice will be to go get my rifle, second choice will be to aim a little higher.
True, you don't want to get fancy with a 6:00 Hold for defensive shooting.
No time for that.
But again I think this POA/POI is not a good descriptor for a new shooter.

It's going to be either Center Hold or Combat Hold (see diagram above) for defensive shooting.
You learn that and then you can develop your own idea of what POA/POI is.
If you are doing other than Center Hold or Combat Hold (defensive shooting) then you are compensating for a mis-matched sight set.

Thanks for the conversation and perspective.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top