JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Half the fun I have collecting the old guns is learning about them. So I'll get on a kick over something, whether it's Mausers, or Garands, or Springfields, etc. and read everything I can find on the subject. Borrow books, read internet blogs, etc. Sometimes doing that, you can still find some cool rare birds laying on tables at gunshops for good prices. But definately specialize. Much easier to know what you're looking at. Lessens the chance of overpaying for items...

M1 Carbine: it's a tack driver and it doesn't beat you up. Mine is M2 ready, meaning if I were to aquire a few parts I would have a full auto rifle. But that would be illegal without going through the right channels.

Romanian M44: I bought one and sporterized it and wow is it fun to shoot.

M1 Garand: Acurate as can be, but it can only handle certain loads safely.

HK91 clones: the ergonomics are crap for control use but it works and is fun.

Not a rifle but I think it counts The Trench gun family of shotguns: put a 1917 bayonet on those and you have one B.A. weapon

B.A.R. (Belguin version) : Best 7.62 rifle I've shot full auto at a machinegun shoot.

Here's my list.
German K-98
Mosin-Nagant
British 303

I choose these for a few reasons.
1- Large cartridge
2- Fixed heavy duty open sights
3- Bayonet capable
4- Durable

Honestly out all these I would say the k-98 to be my favorite. Well made, accurate, clever design, accepts stripper clips, powerful.

I started collecting and shooting classic battle rifles many years ago. My first rifle was a M-1 Garand that I got from the DCM for $165! I have since
added many different 'old bolts'. O3s, O3A3, 1917, Mauser, K31 and Mosins. What I enjoy is shooting these pieces of history in 'Vintage Rifle Matches'.
TCGC Vintage Rifle Matches are a lot of fun and a great group of guys. You learn a lot about the different rifle's strength and weaknesses. Also
you get to see different rifles you wish you had. <broken link removed>

If the French had actually produced the MAS 49/56 chambered in 7.62 NATO with a 20-round magazine capacity, its my belief that the M14 and G3 would have been stillborn. The MAS is light, maneuverable, direct impingement and thus very simple, and very, very accurate...one of the most accurate that I've ever owned. As it is, with their proprietary caliber and limited magazine, it was a sure dead-end.

Keith

The French never could and never will build a good firearm of any sort post 1800. The WWI machine gun they foisted off on the unsuspecting US Army forces proves they are not to be trusted. My grandfather whom I have all his military records and artifacts told me that the anything the French gave them was junk. My step grandfather who was a good friend of my grandfather and married my grandmother after both of their respective spouses died told me the same thing . My step grandfather was assigned to Springfield Armory during WWI and worked in some development department and he told me that they had 30.06 loadings approaching 4000 fps. I really wish I had paid more attention to what he was saying, but I was in my late teens-early 20's when he was telling me about his Springfield Armory days and he passed away when I was around 22.

The French never could and never will build a good firearm of any sort post 1800. The WWI machine gun they foisted off on the unsuspecting US Army forces proves they are not to be trusted. My grandfather whom I have all his military records and artifacts told me that the anything the French gave them was junk. My step grandfather who was a good friend of my grandfather and married my grandmother after both of their respective spouses died told me the same thing . My step grandfather was assigned to Springfield Armory during WWI and worked in some development department and he told me that they had 30.06 loadings approaching 4000 fps. I really wish I had paid more attention to what he was saying, but I was in my late teens-early 20's when he was telling me about his Springfield Armory days and he passed away when I was around 22.

Get yourself a non-Century-bubba'ed MAS 49/56 in its original 7.5French chambering and evaluate it for yourself. It was designed in 1956, significantly later than WWI. I stand by my statement about this particular rifle. This randomly-selected author's research agrees with mine: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...4956-fusil-semi-automatique-modele-1949-1956/

Also, the French did invent the first smokeless cartridge in in 1886 (significantly later than 1800) and the very reliable Lebel which fired this round scared the crap out of the rest of Europe and started a smokeless powder arms race. Goofy uniforms aside, here's an interesting article about this rifle: https://gunsmagazine.com/web-blast-the-french-mle-1886-lebel/

I do not believe any Lebels had brittle receivers like the first 800,000 '03 rifles produced at the Springfield Armory.
http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/ . I would never choose a Lebel over a late production '03 Springfield however. The Mk.1 that I have will never be willingly sold from my collection.

Keith

Last Edited:
I started collecting and shooting classic battle rifles many years ago. My first rifle was a M-1 Garand that I got from the DCM for $165! I have since
added many different 'old bolts'. O3s, O3A3, 1917, Mauser, K31 and Mosins. What I enjoy is shooting these pieces of history in 'Vintage Rifle Matches'.
TCGC Vintage Rifle Matches are a lot of fun and a great group of guys. You learn a lot about the different rifle's strength and weaknesses. Also
you get to see different rifles you wish you had. <broken link removed>

I used to know Frank years ago when I flew RC airplanes. He was pretty amazing with those too. I was good but he was leagues better than me. Looks like he's done ok with C&R guns as well. Good for him !

I would be curious how many garands you have seen

I'm not chainsaw, but I've been lucky enough to own four or five Garands. I've worked on or fixed another couple dozen. I've fondled dozens more. I have a friend with close to 50 in his safe. Correct grades, gastraps, d's, c's, shooters, italians, etc. If you ever have the chance, I highly recommend fondling as many Garands as you can...

thinking k98 and Garand are top of the list (besides the mosin, and AK I already have). k98 has to have the swastika stamps. I know many others made it and maybe some might have made it better, but I need the swaz to make it real for some reason. The rifle represents the country. Mauser = Germany, Garand = USA, .303 = England, etc. Japan is where is gets tough, because some of their stuff you have trouble finding ammo for, at least pistol wise like with the Nambu.

I'm sure I'll be starting another one of these for pistols.

Thinking:
1911 (duh)
P38
Luger
Nambu
Walther PPK
Broomhandles?

Don you must not have served to cal the M-1 carbine anything but a pile of poop! It has the kill racio of the 38 special and NO group ing or range what so ever... what so ever
I keep my eyes open for old military rifles. It seems hard to find a good deal on one if you go looking for a specific model. But top of my list right now would be:

M1 Garand (or M1 Carbine)
Britsh Enfield - I think I'd prefer the No. 4 Mk 1, but if I find a good example who knows.
Swiss K31 or ???

I've got two mausers, a Spanish & a Yugo but would like to find a nice German model.
I've got 2 Mosin Nagant 91/30s and a Romanian M44 and looking for a M38 or 39.

I've got 2 Yugo SKSs, the first one I bought from a member here. It's a little rough, but shoots great & I like it. The second one I found at a LGS and it looks new. Still haven't shot it cause the first one works so good. But I'd still like to find a really nice Russian one. I passed up 2 nice ones before the current panic set in. Wish I would of bought one, the prices seem to have gone up on them.

Good luck in your search.

Don

Don you must not have served to cal the M-1 carbine anything but a pile of poop! It has the kill racio of the 38 special and NO group ing or range what so ever... what so ever

The M1 Carbine...plenty of American police carried them into the late 70s and early 80s before they started carrying ARs. They are still used throughout the world by various security and police forces.

.30 Carbine has the same ballistics as .38 Special :huh: ?

Keith

The M1 Carbine...plenty of American police carried them into the late 70s and early 80s before they started carrying ARs. They are still used throughout the world by various security and police forces.

.30 Carbine has the same ballistics as .38 Special :huh: ?

Keith
Look up the killing effenice of both rounds and it is exactly the same as a 125 grain 38 special

thinking k98 and Garand are top of the list (besides the mosin, and AK I already have). k98 has to have the swastika stamps. I know many others made it and maybe some might have made it better, but I need the swaz to make it real for some reason. The rifle represents the country. Mauser = Germany, Garand = USA, .303 = England, etc. Japan is where is gets tough, because some of their stuff you have trouble finding ammo for, at least pistol wise like with the Nambu.

I'm sure I'll be starting another one of these for pistols.

Thinking:
1911 (duh)
P38
Luger
Nambu
Walther PPK
Broomhandles?[/QUOT

Dont forget tt 33 and cz 52 these rock

You got me, I never served. I'm just a plinker. But I still want a carbine. I guess a lot of other people do too judging by the prices they bring & how hard they are to find. But I'd rather have a Garand & a 98 first.

For what it's worth I want a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 ccarbine too. But that's a different topic.

Sorry if I offended you putting the carbine in this group, but it did see a lot of service.

Don

The FAL.

Just research it a little and you will understand why you need 22 of them to your collection.

Just kidding.... It's really 93 but that's just crazy to collect that many.

SF-

I'm a history buff, and know where these two countries were at the time the rifles were made, and they each reflect it. So now I am getting into collecting battle rifles.

Wondering what rifles you guys think should be added. Keep in mind the budget is not infinite. It takes a hell of a lot for me to pony up more than $1000 for anything. Obviously, I need to get a large ring Mauser 98k, because my .270 win is not to mil-spec. I have some in mind, but would like to see what you guys think needs to be at the top of the list.

How about each person give me their top three. Should be fun.

Top three according to what criteria, though? If we're looking at historical value, I've got a couple thoughts that go beyond three:

Historical Value
  1. Mauser 98k: One of the most widespread, iconic, and long-lived bolt action battle rifle designs. Hands down. What more can or needs to be said about it?
  2. Swiss K-31: Probably the most elegant -- and arguably most accurate -- of the military bolt action rifle. Plus, straight pull action, which is sexy.
  3. M1 Garand: If it was good enough for our grandfathers and great-uncles (or fathers and uncles, if you're of the age), then it's good enough for us, goddammit. Treasured as they may be, they are ubiquitous -- and thank god for that. So, if you want something a little more rare with a full stock design, look for an FN-49, Russian SVT-40 or French MAS-49.
  4. Post war magazine fed battle rifle of your choice: Personally, I'm in the FAL camp (check out an Israeli heavy barrel for a collection!), but it would be hard to go wrong with a HK G3/CETME variant or an M1A.

After that, once you've got all your historical collectables taken care of, then I'd take a look at a more "modern" battle rifle: SCAR-H, one of the 308 AR variants, or a modernized FAL or G3 (e.g. PTR-91).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top