JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I think I've mentioned many times that my grandfather gave me a sporterized mauser 98k (swazticas and everything) for graduation that I hunt with to this day. Favorite gun of all time and will never be listed here, but.... I then picked up a never fired 1943 mosin nagant 91/30. It was cheap and I was always curious how something in a somewhat useful caliber could be so cheap. After cleaning it up two things became very apparent to me. One was that as ugly as this thing was, it was a damn good shooter. The second was that it was so obvious comparing the engineering and tooling between that mauser and the mosin of where techonology was at that time in those countries. The mauser so refined, smooth, tight tolerances, so well made. The mosin, grind marks everywhere, corners cut where ever possible, but what held it together was a simple design that was impossible to screw up.

I'm a history buff, and know where these two countries were at the time the rifles were made, and they each reflect it. So now I am getting into collecting battle rifles. I have a great Mak-90 that is unfired and being put back to AK configuration, but that's it (aside from the two previously mentioned).

Wondering what rifles you guys think should be added. Keep in mind the budget is not infinite. It takes a hell of a lot for me to pony up more than $1000 for anything. Obviously, I need to get a large ring Mauser 98k, because my .270 win is not to mil-spec. I have some in mind, but would like to see what you guys think needs to be at the top of the list. How about each person give me their top three. Should be fun.

Without getting into the debate of what constitutes a 'battle rifle', my top three picks are an '03 Mk.1 Springfield, a Finn M39 Mosin Nagant and a Russian 7.62x39 AK103.

Keith

I keep my eyes open for old military rifles. It seems hard to find a good deal on one if you go looking for a specific model. But top of my list right now would be:

M1 Garand (or M1 Carbine)
Britsh Enfield - I think I'd prefer the No. 4 Mk 1, but if I find a good example who knows.
Swiss K31 or ???

I've got two mausers, a Spanish & a Yugo but would like to find a nice German model.
I've got 2 Mosin Nagant 91/30s and a Romanian M44 and looking for a M38 or 39.

I've got 2 Yugo SKSs, the first one I bought from a member here. It's a little rough, but shoots great & I like it. The second one I found at a LGS and it looks new. Still haven't shot it cause the first one works so good. But I'd still like to find a really nice Russian one. I passed up 2 nice ones before the current panic set in. Wish I would of bought one, the prices seem to have gone up on them.

Good luck in your search.

Don

Given the variations of the Mosin Nagant 91-91/30 series you could fill your house with them. Any list of important rifles would have to include the FN Herstal FAL which became the "it" rifle of most of NATO and many other countries as well. I would also say an Ishapore 2A would be needed, I know I'm looking for one just to have an Enfield variant made for 7.62 x 51. Happy hunting.

Jim

^ yep. the above list pretty much covers most of modern major-power armaments of the last 100 years.

be careful with your wallet though. every single one of those rifles is like opening a gateway to the hundreds of unique variations on each of those designs.

I know crap is gonna come from these 2 but they are interestingly good weapons, MAS 36, MAS 49 and MAS 49/56. The Carcanos too saw action.

The Hakim is made on the Ljungman Ag m 42 dies. If you have a Hakim ya have to add a Rasheed carbine.

I know crap is gonna come from these 2 but they are interestingly good weapons, MAS 36, MAS 49 and MAS 49/56. The Carcanos too saw action.

If the French had actually produced the MAS 49/56 chambered in 7.62 NATO with a 20-round magazine capacity, its my belief that the M14 and G3 would have been stillborn. The MAS is light, maneuverable, direct impingement and thus very simple, and very, very accurate...one of the most accurate that I've ever owned. As it is, with their proprietary caliber and limited magazine, it was a sure dead-end.

Keith

Last Edited:
Given the variations of the Mosin Nagant 91-91/30 series you could fill your house with them. Any list of important rifles would have to include the FN Herstal FAL which became the "it" rifle of most of NATO and many other countries as well. I would also say an Ishapore 2A would be needed, I know I'm looking for one just to have an Enfield variant made for 7.62 x 51. Happy hunting.

Jim

FAL, definitely the FAL

More dough boys carried the M1917 rifle than the 03 during WWI....during the early days of WWII, it was the 03A3...just as an aside.

My list would be K98, Enfield, M1917, 03, 03A3, Garand, M1 Carbine, Arisaka....but that is because I love that era in history...not because they are the "best" or anything....

More dough boys carried the M1917 rifle than the 03 during WWI....during the early days of WWII, it was the 03A3...just as an aside.

My list would be K98, Enfield, M1917, 03, 03A3, Garand, M1 Carbine, Arisaka....but that is because I love that era in history...not because they are the "best" or anything....
one of my favorite rifles was my m1917 winchester.Solid rifle that shot just as good as any Garrand i`v seen.wish I had another one.

I've had the opportunity to own or shoot all the US battle rifles (or at least their semi-auto equivalent) back to the development of the self contained cartridge. All the way from the trapdoor Springfield through the AR rifles and carbines. Never owned them all at once. All of them have been lots of fun. Some more than others.

If you want to start a collection, I would try to start in spurts. Try to find a niche you like. Start with US rifles, or Allied Rifles, or Axis Rifles, or even by era (WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc). That will let you have an achievable goal. Once you finish one section of the collection, you can move on. By focusing, it also allows you to learn a good deal about the guns you are looking for. Trying to learn about half a dozen rifles and their variants is much easier than trying to learn about several hundred.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top