JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks to everyone - there were so many kind words that I can't take the time to thank each of you individually right now.

We had hoped to have more time with her - she was diagnosed on Thursday and things seemed to be better with some pain meds.

My wife skipped a meeting she was supposed to go to this morning and was holding her while she slept. The poor dog started to have a major seizure that lasted a few min, thankfully we were both there to hold her gently and talk to her while it happened which seemed to help her stay mostly calm but it was agonizing to watch while it happened.

After going thru that with her, it was clear that it was time.

We have spent the last few days taking her places in the car (like most she lived for sticking her face out the window) and feeding her treats, along with almost non stop attention and a hundred or so more photos.

We drove the back roads to the vet so that even though she couldn't hold herself up, she was able to get one last car ride in while my wife was holding her.

My wife helped deliver her as a puppy and held her as the vet gave her the injection to help her pass.

I've never felt so helpless or in mental pain to the point of physical discomfort before.

I know this is a firearms forum but y'all have been very generous with your support and words so thank you.

I'll be back in a few days when things aren't so raw.

Bless your family and your little dog too! I know that they are one and the same. Know that my wife and I share your grief, in fact I'm crying a little now! Try to keep the memories of the best times up in your minds eye!
Please pass our condolences on to your poor wife.
Yours, SRG & ELG

Sorry to hear that Joe. We lost our Lab / Shepard last fall. Humans could learn so much from dogs if they would just take the time. As I look across the room at my best bud for the last 14 years old laying in his own chair, knowing he has given us the best years of his life, I will make sure he is as spoiled as can be for the rest of his life.

Humans get these 4 legged friends and go through this every ten years or so. It is so hard, but they bring so much happiness to our lives, we will do it again.

Remember the good items you had with her and know that you gave her the best life possible. Please take some time for yourself and your family. You deserve it and it will help you move through the process. Rest assured, as much as a lot of us on here think we are a bunch of bad azzes, I and some of the others I m sure shed a few tears with you tonight.

I feel for ya Joe. It reminds me a tough time when I was faced with the same decision. It's the worst part of having a great friend like that.

Condolences to you and your family.

Hey bud @Joe13, Glad to see you back in the saddle here with your friends at NWFA.
I've lost 6 wonderful dogs and I've found that one of the best ways to get over the loss is to rescue another dog, similar breed or not. (we have two rescues, Dyna and Zoe). There are a lot of dogs that need a loving home and family like yours.
This is a great place to start: https://www.petfinder.com/breeds/dog
You can search by type, breed, age and gender. It includes all shelters and rescue groups and it lists by distance from you.
Best of luck to you all.

Hey bud @Joe13, Glad to see you back in the saddle here with your friends at NWFA.
I've lost 6 wonderful dogs and I've found that one of the best ways to get over the loss is to rescue another dog, similar breed or not. (we have two rescues, Dyna and Zoe). There are a lot of dogs that need a loving home and family like yours.
This is a great place to start: https://www.petfinder.com/breeds/dog
You can search by type, breed, age and gender. It includes all shelters and rescue groups and it lists by distance from you.
Best of luck to you all.

Thanks Larry, this forum is giving me some distraction while my ladies are off at work and school. It's also things like this that point out how much support I have here and I'm not ashamed to admit how greatful I am for that.

I tried productive things but start to get on a pitty party.

Lost our oldest dog at 14 years old (she was a very gradual decline, 3 years, and at a natural time in her life), a rotten lab (rot/lab), she was a large dog, last summer and at the time we had 3 dogs.

The little one we just lost was our youngest at 9 or 10 years old (but being a small dog, she should have hit 16-18 easy, which I think has been making this all the harder).

As much as the little one was my wife's dog, I have a slightly (26 lbs) larger dog that's a year older (so 10 or 11) and he is as bonded to me. Unfortunately, he does not like other dogs and can be pretty aggressive in the right circumstances and gets jealous easily.

He may be the reason I never get another male dog when the time is right somewhere down the road, I hate having to remind him I'm the Alpha in our house... That and as my wife's dead step grandfather would say, with a girl dog you can reach down and pet thier whole belly without a pecker getting in the way:p.

He used to ride with me when I worked so he travels well. I'm going to talk to my Doctor about setting him up as a therapy or service animal for my ptsd. I would have done so years ago but taking one dog and leaving the others seemed cruel as they all liked to take a drive (when I was working my wife was homeschooling and at home with my daughter and the other 2 dogs). So having just the one dog is about my speed in life right now.

If I were to be completely honest, I have great respect for people who open their hearts and homes to adopted pets, and that link looks like a great resource, but I just do not have that type of personality. I found that out when a dear friend inquired about fostering and possibly adopting her sisters kid and I wanted nothing more then to be able to help them by doing so but just couldn't.

My final logic was that I didn't feel for sure that I could love each of them equally and that wouldn't be fair to a child or pet.

I did shortly consider another puppy for my wife to take her mind off things; that dog was her shadow for a decade so my wife is having a hard time being at home because the little girl was with her no matter if all she did was walk across the room and back.

With all of the hours she is working and volunteering plus going back to school in a few months to persue a second BS and Master's (end goal being a doctorate in something) she wouldn't have the time to bond as tightly with a new dog and we would have history repeating itself - my dog was originally bought to be her dog (cuz the rotten lab was pretty much mine but was also a really good family pet) but I spent more time with him as a puppy, which is how we ended up having 3 dogs in the house. So for now I have nixed the thought of adding any additional pets until our life is a bit more conducive to having more dogs in the house (no more cats for me unless I move to the boonies and have a barn cat).

Thank-You, for the consideration and recommendation. It is greatly appreciated, as is all of everyone's kind words.

Joe, sorry to hear your fur friend has crossed the rainbow bridge. But she is at peace now.
I understand what your family is going through. My best buddy who lays at my feet every day as I work at home is turning 13 this week. Things have been going down hill for him quickly recently. Soon, he too will cross the rainbow bridge and your gal will have a playmate across the rainbow bridge.

We were travelling on Sunday and I missed this thread until it just popped up again today. So sorry to hear about your dog. Brings back memories I'd rather not relive. I always take comfort in knowing we not only had the privilege to raise and love our dog, but also carried the responsibility to care for her up until the end, including making that final decision she couldn't make for herself. Their lives are very much in our hands, and it is a tough thing to know that you have to make the call.

I'm glad your family got so much pleasure from her when she was around. It's clear that dog was loved, part of the family, and I'm sure she knew it. I know the grief and I am sorry you and your family are going through this.

We've debated about getting another dog one of these days - our daughter really wants one, but I'm not sure I want to go through that again. I'm sure we will, some day - I do miss having that head resting on my lap :(

Take care Joe.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews