JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
She would have been thrown under the bus as well. Police action felt like home invasion | HeraldTribune.com

"...Goldsberry has a concealed weapons permit and says the gun has made her feel safer living alone. But she felt anything but safe when she heard a man yelling to open the door.

He was claiming to be a police officer, but the man she had seen looked to her more like an armed thug.

"We're the f------ police; open the f------ door." ..."

The same system that hired an arrogant, cocky, self-sure, smug prick. This is the personality type they hire. The only difference between this guy and all his buddies is a misestimate of blood alcohol capacity.

The good thing is that he is gone before he can cause any real damage. I agree there are plenty more like him, and I don't know why. Cops seemed a hell of a lot more different when I was a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's.

WOW!
I got stiffed for $100 at a gas/convenience store last year and I just turned around and left!

Needed diesel in our motorhome, was surprised to find I had $500 cash left, counted it out and went to fill motorhome. The pump stopped at $400 so I went back to tell them to turn on the last $100. The clerk said all I had given her was $400. I knew better since I was surprised I had that much. I didn't have any proof of what I gave here so I left. If I ever do that again I'll get a receipt before I leave the counter.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

The good thing is that he is gone before he can cause any real damage. I agree there are plenty more like him, and I don't know why. Cops seemed a hell of a lot more different when I was a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's.

I think because much of them were old school and who tried to live their lives with dignity and honor. They truly wanted to help the community, the civilians. These days I bet there are still some in LE but they seem to stay silent. Maybe afraid of loosing their jobs and retirement? Or being an outcast? We hear an occasional LEO talk about the bad cops, the politics and what not. But no one seems to be really trying to mend the trust the American civilians once had with LE. At least no one on a national level. I imagine trust in LE is at all time low. LE probably doesn't care though.

Yeah, I believe some are still there, but want speak up.

Well one spoke up and here is what happened.

Cop Fired for Speaking Out Against Ticket and Arrest Quotas - Reason.com

"Auburn, Alabama is home to sprawling plains, Auburn University, and a troubling police force. After the arrival of a new police chief in 2010, the department entered an era of ticket quotas and worse.

"When I first heard about the quotas I was appalled," says former Auburn police officer Justin Hanners, who claims he and other cops were given directives to hassle, ticket, or arrest specific numbers of residents per shift. "I got into law enforcement to serve and protect, not be a bully."

Hanners blew the whistle on the department's tactics and was eventually fired for refusing to comply and keep quiet. He says that each officer was required to make 100 contacts each month, which included tickets, arrests, field interviews, and warnings. This equates to 72,000 contacts a year in a 50,000 person town. His claims are backed up by audio recordings of his superiors he made. The Auburn police department declined requests to be interviewed for this story.

"There are not that many speeders, there are not that many people running red lights to get those numbers, so what [the police] do is they lower their standards," says Hanners. That led to the department encouraging officers to arrest people that Hanners "didn't feel like had broken the law."

Former Reason staffer Radley Balko, now an investigative reporter for the Huffington Post and author of the new book, Rise of the Warrior Cop, says that this isn't just a nuisance, it infringes on public safety.

"You have a policy that encourages police to create petty crimes and ignore serious crimes, and that's clearly the opposite of what we want our police to be doing," says Balko.

Hanners repeatedly voiced his concerns through his chain of command, and the department responded that these requirements are necessary for increasing productivity.

Yet Hanners firmly believes that the quotas are entirely revenue driven.

"I had no intention of dropping it," says Hanners, "This is a problem in more places than Auburn, and I think once the people know that they can hold their public officials accountable, it'll change."

The police chief singled out by Hanners retired this July, citing medical reasons."

Auburn Cop Fired for Protesting Ticket Quotas

Read the comments.

" Name Taken
Forum Member

So they get upset about the police enforcing petty crimes on the book to meet an enforcement number? How about they start getting rid of the petty crimes on the book then. Stop having the police be the "do all" in society. Have any kind of *problem* call 911. Society has become a joke.

I'm obviously not a fan of a quota system and I guess many aren't either. I will say that most people complaining about having a "quota" system are lazy do nothings. They use a "quota" as an excuse when they cant even produce what the squad or shift average number is.

I also have no respect for ANYONE that goes from Reason to the freaking Huffington Post. Talk about a reporter with no personal value.

Just more hype from what sounds like a cry baby. Don't want the police enforcing what you think are "petty laws" then take them off the book. Problem solved. "

I have no respect for Officer Name Taken.

I agree with you 100%!

I have had no personal dealings with cops for about 20 years (except for reading about them in the news or other information sources, like here. Actually I don't read the news.) BUT, I avoid cops like the plague.

Why, because I think it would be better to get the plague! Probably cost less to get over the plague and you get a private room with amenities! With cops, (and the legal system) you know it's gonna be expensive and drawn out no matter what it is and even though you get a room, it's with a lot of other, shall we say, people you'd rather not associate with. Cops (ALL of THEM) are no longer "Here to Help", they're here to see how many charges they can bring against you! Anyone wearing a badge and a gun knows they've got the upper hand and they'll take advantage of that knowing they'll probably get away with anything and everything they can. In this so-called profession; you can't make a name for yourself by being a good guy!

Just my .02. Probably catch a lot of flak over this one. Oh well, it won't be the first time.....

Take a look at this DemonNova...St. Louis Officer Found Not Guilty of Hitting Handcuffed Teen

"ST. LOUIS, Mo. --A former city police officer was cleared Thursday of charges he struck a handcuffed teenage suspect after prosecutors were unable to enter into evidence a video they say shows an assault.

The acquittal on one count of third-degree assault capped months of legal wrangling in the case against former officer Rory Bruce.

Prosecutors had also tried, but failed, to get the teenager on the stand. First they couldn't find him, then when they did, he asserted his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce had already dismissed then reissued charges against Bruce when the same evidence issues came up in a prior case.

Meanwhile, the teenage suspect was never charged, even though police say he was twice arrested in possession of drugs and guns. The first time was during the February 2012 incident in question; the second time was earlier this month, which is how prosecutors finally located him.

Jeff Roorda, business manager for the St. Louis Police Officers Association, on Thursday sharply criticized Joyce's office.

"You've got a guy who has twice skated on serious charges all in the interest of prosecuting a police officer on a misdemeanor where the only evidence is video that exonerates him," Roorda said in a prepared statement. "This is more than a case of prosecutorial indiscretion; it's a case of prosecutorial vanity."

Joyce, in a prepared statement, said her office was only presented with the second case, once the teen was no longer a juvenile, and there was insufficient evidence to bring charges. She did not elaborate.

As for Bruce, Joyce said her office "respectfully disagrees" with Associate Circuit Court Judge Theresa Counts Burke's ruling.

"We stand by our decision to charge in this case," she said.

She said the video, filmed from a police cruiser, "speaks for itself." Police intend to release the footage on Friday, a spokeswoman for Joyce said.

Prosecutors allege it shows Bruce hitting the teen unprompted. Bruce's attorney, Joe Hogan, planned to argue it showed his client reacting in self-defense when the teen lunged at him, after earlier trying to turn a gun on Bruce's partner, Jacob Fowler.

But the video never made it into evidence because the law required prosecutors to authenticate it with someone who had personal knowledge of the events. Bruce refused to testify against himself, citing the same constitutional grounds as the teen.

That left Fowler, who claimed the same but was forced to testify after prosecutors granted him immunity from charges and obtained a last minute order from another judge.

When Fowler viewed the footage, he testified it differed from his recollection of events. Burke ruled he thus couldn't authenticate it. That left only the testimony of a few police employees, who couldn't say much because of hearsay rules.

The decision on the video brought the long, complicated case to an abrupt end. "Not guilty," announced Burke.

Bruce and Fowler, both probationary officers, were fired after the incident. "

What a total load of crap. The justice system my azz.

On any given day, there are more than 87,000 flights in the United States. Do you know when you hear about flights? When one crashes.

There are over 765,000 sworn law enforcement officers in the United States. Tell me, when do you think you hear about them? Who writes the article about the cop who did nothing wrong, who was a solid member of his community and did his job? None. These articles you people keep throwing around to show how evil law enforcement is are so absolutely minuscule in scale to the number of active duty law enforcement it is astounding. You do realize that, right?

Same "O" Same"O". Nothing changes! Oh wait, yes it does. Things just keep getting worse! Sometimes (actually most of the time) I wish the bubble would burst so we can get down to business and put things right! And what is right? COMMON SENSE and TAKING OUR COUNTRY BACK!!

Nuff Said...Let's Rock!!

On any given day, there are more than 87,000 flights in the United States. Do you know when you hear about flights? When one crashes.

There are over 765,000 sworn law enforcement officers in the United States. Tell me, when do you think you hear about them? Who writes the article about the cop who did nothing wrong, who was a solid member of his community and did his job? None. These articles you people keep throwing around to show how evil law enforcement is are so absolutely minuscule in scale to the number of active duty law enforcement it is astounding. You do realize that, right?

Everyone realizes that the vast majority of cops don't make the paper. Everyone also realizes that the vast majority of cops they've personally dealt with, and those of those they know who have had interactions with cops, have followed the same pattern of condescension, arrogance, authoritarianism, and a really bad us-v-them attitude.

I'll flip this around at you- I think those cops that make the paper aren't even the "bad ones." I think they're just the unlucky ones.

Yeah I realize that there are probably thousands of good officers out there. But only one bad officer doing only one bad thing should be held accountable.

I couldn't agree with you more. Officers should be called out publicly for bad behavior, shamed and punished. But some of these threads, most of them, if we're being honest, deteriorate to nothing more than cops are bad, cops are pigs. I rarely see the distinction between these sorts and the average. You would think reading these topics that this is typical LEO behavior.

I couldn't agree with you more. Officers should be called out publicly for bad behavior, shamed and punished. But some of these threads, most of them, if we're being honest, deteriorate to nothing more than cops are bad, cops are pigs. I rarely see the distinction between these sorts and the average. You would think reading these topics that this is typical LEO behavior.

I want to see the good cops standing up for whats right. Where are they? I would think the news media would run those news stories but they must be very very rare.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top