JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A member has reported this as a potential issue. If you are also experiencing this issue, please post in this thread.
Device
Desktop / Laptop - Microsoft Windows
Browser
Google Chrome
Reactions
At first I thought it was Chrome itself (maybe it is?), but then I noticed that this seems to only happen with tabs where I have NWFA pages loaded.

If I close a Chrome browser tab (usually by clicking on the tax "X") that is a NWFA page, Chrome will often complain that it is "not responding" and that particular browser instance will lock up for a short time (usually 5-10 seconds).

It doesn't seem to happen when I close a tab for any other website.

How many tabs do you have open?

Chrome is a memory hog and even closing a single tab won't get it out of it's funk. Sometimes you'll need to clear cookies from the site and restart.
I usually have 5-10 open at any given time. I run Chrome here on my work Mac as well as at home on a Windows box. No issues with either............

How many tabs do you have open?
Bajillions. :D

Actually, I have about 5-10 Chrome instances open at any given time, and maybe 5-10 tabs open in a few (usually NWFA, reddit, news, etc.) and one or two open in others (GMail, weather, etc.)

There, it just did it again and I wasn't even closing the tab; I was just typing in this response and the tab locked up and then closed the NWFA tab, but no others.

Chrome is a memory hog and even closing a single tab won't get it out of it's funk. Sometimes you'll need to clear cookies from the site and restart.
Oh yes, certainly, but why only NWFA tabs?

Anyone using the Brave Web Browser instead? I am using Brave on my ChromeBook, Windows 11, Linux, Ubuntu 20.04 and my iPhone with no issues.

I have been using Chrome or Firefox as well and haven't noticed any strange behavior except Chrome Browser is a memory hog.

Reasons.

Do you visit any other forums that use XenForo as a backend? Do those crash for no apparent reason? My guess is there's a script that's running your browser doesn't like, or it's conflicting with another memory process.
I infrequently visit SIGTalk.com and FNForum.net

I cannot say what backend they use - I cannot find anything on the displayed pages that tells me that info.

At first I thought it was Chrome itself (maybe it is?), but then I noticed that this seems to only happen with tabs where I have NWFA pages loaded.

If I close a Chrome browser tab (usually by clicking on the tax "X") that is a NWFA page, Chrome will often complain that it is "not responding" and that particular browser instance will lock up for a short time (usually 5-10 seconds).

It doesn't seem to happen when I close a tab for any other website.
i have seen and experienced this problem. only one nwfa tab at a time. usually when i'm looking at pictures, but other times when just reading posts. Cant click out of nwfa and go to another tab. running Version 113.0.5672.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Bajillions. :D

Actually, I have about 5-10 Chrome instances open at any given time, and maybe 5-10 tabs open in a few (usually NWFA, reddit, news, etc.) and one or two open in others (GMail, weather, etc.)

There, it just did it again and I wasn't even closing the tab; I was just typing in this response and the tab locked up and then closed the NWFA tab, but no others.

Oh yes, certainly, but why only NWFA tabs?
With all those instances of Chrome running, have you ever opened Task Manager to see how much CPU and how much memory is being consumed ?
I know machine would tell me to go pound sand.

With all those instances of Chrome running, have you ever opened Task Manager to see how much CPU and how much memory is being consumed ?
Good idea. Chrome can definitely eat some RAM. I run 64GB of DDR5 on my home pc so I don't care too much. :D

Yes, and of course Chrome is taking the most memory (I have 16 GB of RAM).

I closed all other Chrome instances so that I only have this one tab open in one Chrome window

As I was typing this in, Chrome went into its "not responding mode" (well after I closed all other windows) and it was showing the NWFA waiting bars across the top of the page - one the whole width and another in the right hand upper corner. Did that for about a minute.

While doing that Chrome was taking about 20-30% of the CPU and I could not type anything in here.

Then it stopped, CPU went down to 1-2% and I could continue.

ETA: I closed this last Chrome window and it took about ten seconds to close.

If you do the following, make sure you have all your Chrome settings saved in your Google Acct.
Maybe even set a Restore Point in Windows back to a date before the glitch started.

"Mr. Wizard" (Google) says :

Uninstall and reinstall Chrome:There could be something wrong with your Chrome profile that's causing problems. Uninstall Chrome and make sure to check the box to delete browsing data. Then reinstall Chrome. Uninstall and reinstall extensions:One of your Chrome extensions could be causing a problem.

How do I reinstall Chrome without losing settings?

Following these steps: Step-1: Reinstall Google Chrome using another browser such as Firefox or Internet Explorer. Step-2: After reinstalling, if you log in to your Google account from Settings Login in the upper right corner of Chrome and synchronize, all bookmarks, etc. Step-3: Everything will be restored.

I just now updated Windows 11 - we'll see if that has any effect. I kind of doubt it will since, as far as I can tell, this is only happening on NWFA.

I think the theory that some script is running on NWFA and is causing this issue is the most likely premise.

I just now updated Windows 11 - we'll see if that has any effect. I kind of doubt it will since, as far as I can tell, this is only happening on NWFA.

I think the theory that some script is running on NWFA and is causing this issue is the most likely premise.
For several days the issue did not repeat, but just now it is. Once I get done with my morning rounds thru the internet (it takes the whole morning usually), I will reboot and see what happens. Again, so far, it is only NWFA that is doing this - as far as I can tell.

Clearing browsing data may help.
Have your passwords saved.

Screen-Shot-05-21-23-at-09-09-AM.png

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA