JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was just today notified by the NRA that my mayor, in Beaverton, has joined the Michael Bloomberg sponsored anti-gun group, 'Mayors Against Illegal Guns.' I checked MAIG's website, and find that 6 mayors in Washington, and 2 in Oregon belong to this group (none in Idaho, at this point). You might want to check the MAIG website, and send your mayor an email or letter. According to the NRA information I received, several mayors dropped out of the group after getting protests from their constituents. Below the website address is the short email I sent to my mayor (redacted)....feel free to copy it, if you wish to.

<broken link removed>

To: Mayor Denny Doyle
From: Beaverton Resident/Home Owner/Tax Payer Max *******
**** SW ***th Ave., Space #**
Beaverton, OR 97008
503-***-****

Mayor,

I would strongly ask you to reconsider your membership in the Michael Bloomberg sponsored 'Mayors Against Illegal Guns' coalition. While the name sounds worthy enough, at heart it is very much an 'anti-gun/anti-2nd-Amendment-Rights' group.

Again, please reconsider.

Respectfully,

Max ********

After going to the coalition website and seeing what these mayors support, I was particularly shocked to see that they support the so-called "Terror Gap" legislation proposed by Senator Lautenberg! I was so disgusted, I was tempted to send in a disparaging comment.
However, I decided not to send it on the off-chance I would suddenly find myself on a terror watch-list! You know things have gotten way out-of-hand when you no longer trust elected officials to respect your first amendment rights! :s0131:

How does this group define "illegal guns"

I just read through their 'investigation' report. A lot of the info is good. They are mostly referring to guns purchased for another person (straw purchases). The group apparently intends to be an action group to help the ATF in their current efforts to stop these illegal purchases of guns. One of the pictures in the report was of a Mac 11. That was only one of several guns purchased illegally but must be the groups idea of what a 'bad' gun must look like. What is scary, however, is that they want legislation to pass that will close the so called 'terror gap'. This gap refers to the ability of current terrorist suspects to still be able to purchase firearms. To me what is disconcerting about this is I recall the illustrious Ms. Janet Napolitano (I think she's the one that heads up Homeland Security) imply that returning vets, conservatives and fundamentalists christians, and probably pro second ammendment groups could be considered potential 'domestic terrorists'.

If I'm wrong in my recollection of Napolitano's remarks please correct me. I can't remember exactly where I heard/read about those remarks.

Anyway, that's was my take on their website.

Last Edited:
I forgot to mention the groups Principle. The third one is also unnerving. Very vague (probably intentionally). I would guess the intention there is a national gun registry at the least.
The following quote is from their <broken link removed>
At the coalition's first summit, an initial group of 15 mayors met at Gracie Mansion in New York City to discuss strategies for stopping the flow of illegal guns into America's cities. Those mayors, along with every mayor who has since joined the Mayors Against Illegal Guns coalition, signed the following statement of principles.

Whereas: 30,000 Americans across the country are killed every year as a result of gun violence, destroying families and communities in big cities and small towns; and

Whereas: As Mayors, we are duty-bound to do everything in our power to protect our residents, especially our children, from harm and there is no greater threat to public safety than the threat of illegal guns;

Now, therefore, we resolve to work together to find innovative new ways to advance the following principles:

* Punish - to the maximum extent of the law - criminals who possess, use, and traffic in illegal guns.

* Target and hold accountable irresponsible gun dealers who break the law by knowingly selling guns to straw purchasers.

* Oppose all federal efforts to restrict cities' right to access, use, and share trace data that is so essential to effective enforcement, or to interfere with the ability of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms to combat illegal gun trafficking.

* Work to develop and use technologies that aid in the detection and tracing of illegal guns.

* Support all local state and federal legislation that targets illegal guns; coordinate legislative, enforcement, and litigation strategies; and share information and best practices.

* Invite other cities to join us in this new national effort.

I'm proud of myself for getting the link and quote features to work:D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads