JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shocker I got a NRA response.

In a correspondence with a NRA representative I asked what they are planning on doing with 43 and 44. It appears the NRA won't commit to these proposed ballot measures until they are official ballot measures. When I asked about support in the past here being luke warm, they responded that they can not defend every measure or bill that comes out, to be frank they seemed offended I was asking. I simply said in return, Oregon is not getting the representation she needs, this is proof by the amount of anti-gun legislation getting passed. They said then more need to support the NRA, nor did they explain how that affects anything? I didn't reply further.

Seems until late summer if the ballot measure is added to the November election they will respond and would not give anymore details after that, it was more generic responses about signing up for a longer membership and what deals they have running felt like they didn't even care.

I get them not wanting to commit, but this proposal is already gaining popularity and its not even on the ballot yet. If they wait until its official there wont be allot of time to defend this.
I was shocked getting a response because I never have in the past, maybe I am disillusioned at thinking this is the biggest issue in Oregon history when it comes to gun control and its not being taken seriously. After hearing Illinois pass their gun ban today I thought well here we go.

Really bummed hoped they would hit the road running on this, and neither are lobbys at home either Ugggg!:(o_O Anyone else get a better response of hope from the NRA.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdartthrowingchimp.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F04%2Fcharlie-brown-aaugh.jpg

Ok I promise this will be the last I was experimenting, this one was taken at the WA coast so thought it would be fitting I had to though the red was too much on my eyes. Besides who doesn't love our nations Bird:s0042:
@DuneHopper

Can you PLEASE stop changing your avatar? My weak, feeble mind is confused easily. :D

Ok I promise this will be the last I was experimenting, this one was taken at the WA coast so thought it would be fitting I had to though the red was too much on my eyes. Besides who doesn't love our nations Bird:s0042:

Actually, that image is how I recognize you!! :)

What do you think our part should be, not being flipped this is a whole new animals a ballot measure for gun control scary crap.

Does it matter what I think our part is? or are just looking to ridicule and strawman whatever my answer might be. Besides, my part might not be the same as another persons. I do try and encourage people to do whatever that might be though.

I'm not the least surprised by this and even suspected this would be how it goes. At this point, it's not on the ballot, so why would they invest resources in battling something that doesn't yet exist? Where I would expect them to step in is if/when it makes the ballot. I have two expectations then - work to fight it's passage and, if it did pass, have the ILA quickly file a lawsuit/injunction against it before it can go into effect. They don't have resources, but they're not unlimited - and trying to fight signature gatherers is probably not part of their regular strategy.

This has potential to have wide ranging impact in states around the country if it passes and stands, so this may be the time we finally see the NRA do something in Oregon.

Last Edited:
I'm not the least surprised by this and even suspected this would be how it goes. At this point, it's not on the ballot, so why would they invest resources in battling something that doesn't yet exist. Where I would expect them to step in is if/when it makes the ballot. I have two expectations then - work to fight it's passage and, if it did pass, have the ILA quickly file a lawsuit/injunction against it before it can go into effect. They don't have resources, but they're not unlimited - and trying to fight signature gatherers is probably not part of their regular strategy.

This has potential to have wide ranging impact in states around the country if it passes and stands, so this may be the time we finally see the NRA do something in Oregon.

I agree with you.

When I asked about support in the past here being luke warm, they responded that they can not defend every measure or bill that comes out, to be frank they seemed offended I was asking. I simply said in return, Oregon is not getting the representation she needs, this is proof by the amount of anti-gun legislation getting passed. They said then more need to support the NRA, nor did they explain how that affects anything? I didn't reply further.

I wish I could say that I am surprised at this response, but I am not. Perhaps they would receive more support if they showed some interest, even a token gesture would be helpful at this point.

Where I would expect them to step in is if/when it makes the ballot. I have two expectations then - work to fight it's passage and, if it did pass, have the ILA quickly file a lawsuit/injunction against it before it can go into effect.

If this does indeed make the November ballot, that leaves precious little time for them to start a quest for "hearts and minds" in this state.

Last Edited:
The NRA got blind-sided big time in Florida, Vermont, and by Trump. Right now they are treading water in red states to keep Republicans from losing special elections. Not sure if they have the resources to throw down in blue states, especially in a midterm election where the Democrats are running +15-20 points from 2016.

In a normal midterm, Democrat turnout would be low and single issue voters would be aplenty to defeat gun control. Trump is driving Democrat turnout to record levels right now. Democrats just won a state Supreme Court election in Wisconsin on Tuesday by 11 points, the first they've won in 28 years. Scott Walker is sounding the alarm on Twitter that Republicans are going to get wiped out this fall.

I wish I could say that I am surprised at this response, but I am not. Perhaps they would receive more support if they showed some interest, even a token gesture would be helpful at this point.

If this does indeed make the November ballot, that leaves precious little time for them to start a quest for "hearts and minds" in this state.

Except we'll know if it's going to make they ballot by about August - so there will be several months to get the word out and work to fight it. Chances are the pro-IP43 folks won't ramp up their efforts to get the word out until at least September as many folks in the summer aren't going to give much attention to anything on the November ballot at that time.

The local coordinator for the NRA has stated previously (as noted in responses posted by members in other threads) that the NRA is on this one. Now, I've got kind of a wait and see attitude and I've already said they won't see any more $$ from me until I see some action from them. But, if they do come to Oregon and make a fight against this, I'll be happy to pony up some more cash for the cause.

It gives the NRA a convenient "out" for them to say "well, not enough people from Oregon contributed to us, so we couldn't help you fight this..... Sorry" :cool:

Possibly, but again, the local coordinator has already said they're committed to this fight - which I can't recall them saying like that previously - what we don't know, is to what level they will get involved. It is way too early right now for anyone to really get involved in anything for November. That's why we're not being flooded with ads, etc. right now for various candidates. That won't start until later this year. Problem is that people simply won't pay much attention to any of this until the election gets closer, and even then, the average voter has the attention span of a 6 month old. Just not worth digging in with a lot of resources right now. Plus, we don't even know if this will make the ballot in the first place - if it doesn't, this is all a moot point.

Possibly, but again, the local coordinator has already said they're committed to this fight - which I can't recall them saying like that previously - what we don't know, is to what level they will get involved. It is way too early right now for anyone to really get involved in anything for November. That's why we're not being flooded with ads, etc. right now for various candidates. That won't start until later this year. Problem is that people simply won't pay much attention to any of this until the election gets closer, and even then, the average voter has the attention span of a 6 month old. Just not worth digging in with a lot of resources right now. Plus, we don't even know if this will make the ballot in the first place - if it doesn't, this is all a moot point.

Yep, the average person does not care enough about this issue one way or another is the reality. They may pretend they do for a short time but its not going be on on their minds daily for the next 8 months.

Possibly, but again, the local coordinator has already said they're committed to this fight - which I can't recall them saying like that previously - what we don't know, is to what level they will get involved.

Problem being, how does one define "committed". Getting their hands dirty or bringing flowers to the funeral ?

I noticed that there is considerable discussion on another thread of drafting a pro-gun petition, designed to counter the anti's petition(s).

If that effort comes to fruition as a viable document, it would be interesting to observe the ILA response if it was sent to them for input and review. Even if they refused to get involved with a proposed draft, it might give us a preview of the level of support we can (or can't) expect in the future.

Last Edited:
Of COURSE... the NRA's "response" will be to throw us under the bus so they can fundraise off Red State Rubes about "Coming soon to YOU unless you give us all your money!"

Just like Whackoff Wayne does with everything...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top