JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone! I joined this forum to help out my brother, who wants to sell a pistol but is challenged to do anything on the internet because of autism and ADHD. I'm also new to the world of guns and shooting and eager to learn more from experienced gun enthusiasts.

My brother and I grew up in cities all our lives with a single mother and not around Dad, who was an outdoors lover from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan ("Say ya to da UP, eh!"). As a young Civil Air Patrol cadet, I was bitterly disappointed not to be able to attend a marksmanship encampment. I never had any exposure to firearms except growing up in the 'hood in Northeast Portland, with gang shootings happening all the time throughout the '80s. In my twenties I met a new friend who let me shoot his Glock 9mm at an indoor range. I loved it and was told, "You are a good natural shot!"

Nothing happened after that to expand my gun consciousness, though, until my dad passed away in 2018. He left behind a collection of black powder guns and a handgun which he apparently kept around for defense reasons. My brother already had enough 9mm pistols so the Kel-Tec P11 became mine. Since bro lives in a Federally-subsidized apartment building, though, I became the guardian of his guns. Then Mom moved into a retirement community and I became the guardian of her guns. My parents and brother all served in the military -- go figure how I got to be the Keeper, the only one who never did any military service!

Once I got the P11, my desire to learn more and shed my fear and ignorance about guns brought me to the Beavercreek Armory in Hillsboro, Oregon. I took a class, obtained my CHL, and started shooting the P11. Shooting my brother's pistols gave me a good awareness of how different firearms can feel and perform. While he lived in Germany he bought a Brno CZ 75 Parabellum, a Smith & Wesson 459 and a Walther P-38, and I was privileged to try out all of them. Must say the Walther was my favorite. I bought a Ruger 10/22 rifle later on a whim, but I haven't had much chance to shoot it.

My brother and I have joined the Tri-County Gun Club in Sherwood, Oregon and recently attended a day at the black powder range with a handful of other aficionados, which turned out to be a lot of fun and a great way to spend a Saturday morning. Since my brother inherited most of the black powder collection, he wanted to learn about shooting them. I have little interest, but as a dedicated sibling, I facilitate our membership and attendance so he can have a fun recreational and social outlet -- something he has trouble making happen on his own. I admit my resistance to the idea of shooting black powder has lessened since that day! I probably will never shoot the black powder rifle Dad left to me, but after cleaning it and knowing a little more about it, the idea doesn't seem far-fetched (I think I would still rather hang it on my wall though).

My interest leans more toward achieving better skill with pistol shooting and feeling confident and skilled enough to actually carry concealed. I sure wouldn't mind a chance to go out plinking with my 10/22, either. Both those activities will have to wait until I get a new job, because ammunition is expensive.

My dream is to get action-range certified at TCGC and compete. My fantasy is to be like La Femme Nikita.

If anyone on here has tips about finding other forums related to black powder, for my brother, that would be most appreciated.

I will post a classified once I am no longer limited.

Cheers!

Replica 1730s Early Virginia Style .50 cal flintlock rifle with 36 inch barrel, powder horn an...jpg

Last Edited:
Hello everyone! I joined this forum to help out my brother, who wants to sell a pistol but is challenged to do anything on the internet because of autism and ADHD. I'm also new to the world of guns and shooting and eager to learn more from experienced gun enthusiasts.

My brother and I grew up in cities all our lives with a single mother and not around Dad, who was an outdoors lover from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan ("Say ya to da UP, eh!"). As a young Civil Air Patrol cadet, I was bitterly disappointed not to be able to attend a marksmanship encampment. I never had any exposure to firearms except growing up in the 'hood in Northeast Portland, with gang shootings happening all the time throughout the '80s. In my twenties I met a new friend who let me shoot his Glock 9mm at an indoor range. I loved it and was told, "You are a good natural shot!"

Nothing happened after that to expand my gun consciousness, though, until my dad passed away in 2018. He left behind a collection of black powder guns and a handgun which he apparently kept around for defense reasons. My brother already had enough 9mm pistols so the Kel-Tec P11 became mine. Since bro lives in a Federally-subsidized apartment building, though, I became the guardian of his guns. Then Mom moved into a retirement community and I became the guardian of her guns. My parents and brother all served in the military -- go figure how I got to be the Keeper, the only one who never did any military service!

Once I got the P11, my desire to learn more and shed my fear and ignorance about guns brought me to the Beavercreek Armory in Hillsboro, Oregon. I took a class, obtained my CHL, and started shooting the P11. Shooting my brother's pistols gave me a good awareness of how different firearms can feel and perform. While he lived in Germany he bought a Brno CZ 75 Parabellum, a Smith & Wesson 459 and a Walther P-38, and I was privileged to try out all of them. Must say the Walther was my favorite. I bought a Ruger 10/22 rifle later on a whim, but I haven't had much chance to shoot it.

My brother and I have joined the Tri-County Gun Club in Sherwood, Oregon and recently attended a day at the black powder range with a handful of other aficionados, which turned out to be a lot of fun and a great way to spend a Saturday morning. Since my brother inherited most of the black powder collection, he wanted to learn about shooting them. I have little interest, but as a dedicated sibling, I facilitate our membership and attendance so he can have a fun recreational and social outlet -- something he has trouble making happen on his own. I admit my resistance to the idea of shooting black powder has lessened since that day! I probably will never shoot the black powder rifle Dad left to me, but after cleaning it and knowing a little more about it, the idea doesn't seem far-fetched (I think I would still rather hang it on my wall though).

My interest leans more toward achieving better skill with pistol shooting and feeling confident and skilled enough to actually carry concealed. I sure wouldn't mind a chance to go out plinking with my 10/22, either. Both those activities will have to wait until I get a new job, because ammunition is expensive.

My dream is to get action-range certified at TCGC and compete. My fantasy is to be like La Femme Nikita.

If anyone on here has tips about finding other forums related to black powder, for my brother, that would be most appreciated.

I will post a classified once I am no longer limited.

Cheers!

View attachment 1283870
First welcome.
Second since you're keeping a few guns now a "decent" safe is a good idea. They do not have to cost what a decent car costs to work.
As for the smoke poles they are not for everyone but they can be fun, albeit a lot of work. One of the Mods here is a big time smoke pole guy should be able to point you to some other places.
As for learning I have long ago found one good thing is to join a range. If you pay by the year you may find that like me it gets you to go a lot more often. The more trigger time the better. :D

Isn't it great diving Into the firearms world as an adult? I started 12 years ago at 55. You found the right place,here at NWFA, for meeting some great people.
Coincidently I'm in NE Portland too. In the Cully neighborhood.

Also @ClearMach , register to vote in November and vote NO on Measure 114!

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

Awesome intro.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODF supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews