JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been wanting to build my own AR piece by piece, due to not having the funds for an all out purchase and I was curious if you could make a custom rifle that is just as good or even close to a Noveske or any other high end rifle for that matter.

Any information would be much appreciated.

I am doing the same. Ive been collecting parts for almost a year now but when I am done I will have a great shooter. I picked up a real sweet SOCOM AR barrel from copes for $99.00 last month. Also, make friends in the chat box at the bottom of the forums page. Some of the most helpful AR guys in the world live there.

I am doing the same. Ive been collecting parts for almost a year now but when I am done I will have a great shooter. I picked up a real sweet SOCOM AR barrel from copes for $99.00 last month. Also, make friends in the chat box at the bottom of the forums page. Some of the most helpful AR guys in the world live there.

One are where spending $$ will more often than not be required is $$$. For $100 I'd be surprised on how it groups and consistency.

Spend $$ on - Trigger, barrel, sights, BCG

One are where spending $$ will more often than not be required is $$$. For $100 I'd be surprised on how it groups and consistency.

ESS Solutions, LLC -  Quality Assurance

Had a well respected board member look at this barrel in person when I got it. He was very impressed with the quality. This member not only works in the firearms industry but trains soldiers of foreign governments on behalf of uncle Sam. If he says its good to go....its good to go!

Be interesting to see a range report. The price is certainly good for a 4140 barrel. The .073 gas port seems a bit large to me. .062 on a 14.5 would be my choice. Let us know how it does.

+1, if they perform hey. You can find several ~$100 barrels these days. PSA and sportsmansguide both have some. Would be nice to see some target pics, etc

From a novice point of view and having built a couple less than expensive ARS,the barrel will still probably out shoot most of us.
But the good thing about ARS (bad thing?) is they are like Legos and you can,and most definitely will,change things on it.

So like iamme said
cause you can buy the rest cheap and have a shooter.Then you can upgrade as you go along.I have had a few fore ends on my AR. A couple different stocks,just what happens when you start building an AR

Good luck and have fun

I would bet that without a Ransom type rest,the size of the groups from one guys,noveski and my stag barrel would be hardly detectable.
Viced down real good? Might see a difference.
Free hand? Not a chance
( this would be all things exactly the same except the barrels)

I'm sorry but a Noveske barrel is LEAPS and BOUNDS ahead of a Stag or probably most other factory barrels.

But what do those guys punching those small groups know spending $$ on quality barrels, better let them know to order their $100 special to improve their groups :)

I'm sorry but a Noveske barrel is LEAPS and BOUNDS ahead of a Stag or probably most other factory barrels.

But what do those guys punching those small groups know spending $$ on quality barrels, better let them know to order their $100 special to improve their groups :)

I think you missed mjbskwim's point. The shooter is the limiting factor most of the time. If the shooter can shoot 2 moa consistently does he need a .5moa barrel or a 1-2moa barrel?

On the net everyone shoots .5 moa with X brand barrel and steel case ammo.

I do agree that Noveske builds fine barrels from PacNor blanks. When I shoot mine I know beyond a doubt I'm the limiting factor.

Thanks for all the information gentlemen.

I do have another question about BCG's, are chrome or any other special coatings really necessary for a first time recreational build?

No, they are more for looks than anything.

While I agree with this.. (mostly) from experience I believe that the chrome and nickel boron coated BCG's offer some benefits. Mostly for cleaning. I disagree with those who say they do not need as much lube, but weather or not these features would be beneficial to a casual shooter is debatable.

Personally I think that the BCG design is more important than the coating. A fully shrouded firing pin for example, properly staked keys, and the extra metal on the carrier of the full auto unit are features I look for. The extra weight slows down the cycle and IME produces more reliable weapons. The fully shrouded firing pin relieves the pressure on the pin for resetting the hammer. YMMV.

While I agree with this.. (mostly) from experience I believe that the chrome and nickel boron coated BCG's offer some benefits. Mostly for cleaning. I disagree with those who say they do not need as much lube, but weather or not these features would be beneficial to a casual shooter is debatable.

Personally I think that the BCG design is more important than the coating. A fully shrouded firing pin for example, properly staked keys, and the extra metal on the carrier of the full auto unit are features I look for. The extra weight slows down the cycle and IME produces more reliable weapons. The fully shrouded firing pin relieves the pressure on the pin for resetting the hammer. YMMV.

Plus one million. Chrome or coating may help a little when cleaning but I do not have any issues with a mil-spec phosphate coated BCG's. Get a CAT 4 tool and bolt cleaning is cake.

bhcatm4.png

You have to run a lot of ammo before the inside of the BC gets nasty. When you run it dry is when you get the baked on carbon in the carrier.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top