JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I though I was well stocked going into the election but I guess not. I have been setting my press up for 9 mm and was ready to order a set of dies. Then it occurred to me I only have 400 small pistol primers and can't find a source for anymore. So I guess I'll put the 9mm on hold. Powder is another story, I have more then most BiMarts.

I have a friend that bought 40,000 primers before things got crazy. I bought 8,000, not enough.
The first time I lived through a "shortage" of them was before Al invented the net. Can't remember what set that one off now. It was when I discovered ordering them. It was the first time I tried Graf many decades back. There was a fee but they would let you buy a LOT of stuff in one package to help mitigate. Since then I keep a LOT of them. I have no doubt when I shuffle off I will have many K left. The kids don't shoot or load. So if they are smart they will just wait till the next panic and sell them. They can thank me for the cash in their pocket then :D

Ditto here. I'm 1,500 small pistol short. And largely my own fault. Because around May or June, I was reducing my holdings because I just plain had too much stuff around for my age. I try to keep a balance of bullets/primers/powder that will result in a quantity of ammo that will work out more or less even at the end. I miscalculated on primers, wound up 500 short. That was due to miscount. Then I found a bargain on 9mm bullets, bought 1,000 more. Now I'm 1,500 primers short.

It gets worse. I didn't need the money, I could've just kept them, mostly I wanted the excess gone. Can you imagine, I thought it might difficult to get them sold without a gun show for a venue. Back in June when primers were selling retail for $30, I was kicking them out here and on Armslist for $25. At the time, I figured if I ever need more, I can buy them. No way. This is way worse that previous famines. Last time around, I remember going into Cabela's and being limited to one little flat of 100 primers. But at least they had them.

Today when I was out, I stopped at Sportsman's Warehouse in Everett, WA and asked when was the last time they'd had small pistol primers in. The guy said, "Last week but we didn't get many and they were gone fast." I asked him if there was any predictability in knowing when they might come in again and he said no. Well, I'm not going down there every day and stand around the store waiting for 8 or 10 hours to see if any come out. And maybe some get bogarted behind the counter for employee friends, which I suspect happens sometimes. Or phone calls as to when they will be going out. I'm not up for that kind of competition.

No way on God's green earth am I gonna pay $150 or $200 for a brick of primers. I will wait for availability or not have them. I've got tons of 9mm, .38 Special and .357 ammo on hand, it might be years before I need more small pistol primers beyond the 3,500 or so I already have. In fact, I was thinking about letting go of some of this overhead of pistol ammo but not way is that gonna happen now. Each of those contains a small pistol primer, a commodity that for the foreseeable future cannot be replaced.

I do have a surplus of large rifle primers. But those are absolutely staying on the shelf.

You know those Rem 6 1/2s (sm rilfe primers)? Yeah......don't tell. But I've been using mine too reload 9mm.

Mind you that I'm NOT SAYING that anyone else should either. Lawyers are everywhere.:s0123:

Aloha, Mark

You know those Rem 6 1/2s (sm rilfe primers)? Yeah......don't tell. But I've been using mine too reload 9mm.

Mind you that I'm NOT SAYING that anyone else should either. Lawyers are everywhere.:s0123:

Aloha, Mark

Me too I heard they were harder though. not sure if that is true or not. Mine Chrono the same.

Went to a small gun show in Nevada last weekend. Guy there was selling primers for $100 a brick (SPP,SRP,LRP,LPR) and people were complaining. That guy sold out in the first hour of the show. Later that day, primers were showing up on tables for 120-150 per box, and they sold out!

So what you saying is market value for primer currently is $200 a brick?

Interesting, very interesting...

So what you saying is market value for primer currently is $200 a brick?

Interesting, very interesting...

Honestly, if you know someone with a GB account. For those prices I might sell some. Local market values are not that high, at least in the NW. I wonder if these shortages are hitting harder in the South or on the East coast.

Honestly, if you know someone with a GB account. For those prices I might sell some. Local market values are not that high, at least on here.
Yet...

This isn't over yet. Trump will drag out the legal proceedings till December, so some are holding back from buying. After that if will either get better, or way worse.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top