JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No - I don't know the young man.

I've seen this posted a few places elsewhere so I finally watched it and thought it was worth sharing.

A few observations:

1) The most obvious observation is that he used only what he had onsite - i.e., he used no tools or materials that he brought with him except his knowledge, perseverance and imagination. That said, imagine how much easier his tasks would have been with a few simple tools and materials - a hatchet, a knife, a lighter and some cordage.

2) I am not sure of the location, but it seems to me that the need for a fireplace was minimal - it looked like the location was tropical. Of course, it could have just been summer somewhere and winter could necessitate a source of heat.

Building a primitive wattle and daub hut from scratch
photo.jpg
Primitive Technology
Subscription preferences

Published on May 2, 2015
I built this hut in the bush using naturally occurring materials and primitive tools. The hut is 2m wide and 2m long, the side walls are 1m high and the ridge line (highest point) is 2m high giving a roof angle of 45 degrees. A bed was built inside and it takes up a little less than half the hut. The tools used were a stone hand axe to chop wood, fire sticks to make fire, a digging stick for digging and clay pots to carry water. The materials used in the hut were wood for the frame, vine and lawyer cane for lashings and mud for daubing. Broad leaves were initially used as thatch which worked well for about four months before starting to rot. The roof was then covered with sheets of paper bark which proved to be a better roofing material. An external fireplace and chimney were also built to reduce smoke inside. The hut is a small yet comfortable shelter and provides room to store tools and materials out of the weather. The whole hut took 9 months from start to finish. But it only took 30 days of actual work (I abandoned it for a few months before adding bark roof, chimney and extra daub ).

It's reminiscent of NE Australia

That is absolutely the coolest thing I've seen in a very long time, and it's at the heart of what YouTube was supposed to be all about. It's inspirational in a way: we humans will survive, no matter what. Not me personally, of course, nor all our knowledge and tech, but there will surely be people for a long, long, time.

My ancestors fashioned their lives with materials like bone and hides from sea mammals, or stone. I think too much attention is paid to survival skills in tropical environments, forgetting that the men who created our modern world came by and large from colder climates.

erudne, I salute you.

I was impressed, But 30 days worth of work over a 9 month period? I would like to think even lacking tools I could built a similar shelter in a week of long days. I hope I never have to find out :)

At any rate very cool to watch.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads