JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have 4 Glocks and have tried to get them to jam by holding them as loosely as possible while shooting them. So far no luck.:confused:
Just to clarify....... I have also tried this on other guns I have , R51, XDS and a polymer CZ clone with the same results. Just last weekend I let someone shoot my 10mm Glock and he got a couple stovepipe jams and had one piece of brass eject about 8 feet to the rear and 8 feet left of him. I never did find that piece of brass.

Yeah as much as I dislike the Austrian Tupperware guns, the odds of having 4 of them malfunctioning consistently because of the gun itself is astronomical. I don't say astronomical as an exaggeration either.

I also doubt it was a limp wristing issue either if multiple shooters were involved. The common denominator was probably crappy ammo.

Once the plastic pieces are running right, just keep laughibg cause your revolvers look so much better anyways. Assuming you aren't shooting an LCRx.

I guess these must have been the only bad Glocks in the whole world... at least reading all of the people in this thread that have never had a single problem with their Glock and they have shot perfectly every time and probably always hit the bullseye and never missed either. Yep, I think the guys I were shooting with should give Glock a call so that they can take the only bad Glocks off of them and give them one with the same quality that you have all been bragging about. Yes, I think I'll suggest that to them... Not!

Sorry guys, but I'm going to call BS on at least some of the bragging going on. I don't believe it because there are plenty of Glocks out there that have had problems, be it because of ammo, cleaning, bad parts, or what ever, but they are out there. Feel free to continue, I'm sure the choir needs more convincing that Glocks walk on water. ;)

Mike

I see you just joined not too long ago. I don't mean any offense, but I want you to know your calling BS on some very straightforward honest people giving you information about what the most likely issue is. There isn't a lot of fake chest thumping internet braggadocio basement dwellers on this forum, one reason why I like this place. Most of the information you get here is solid and reliable, especially from the frequent posters.

If you want to actually solve the problem I'd suggest you listen. If your original intent in posting this "experience" was to bash on something and don't want answers to the problem, keep doing what your doing.

By the way - revolvers aren't exactly the most bomb-proof, never fail, nothing to break or let you down pieces of equipment ever made either. They are fairly complicated contraptions that require precise timing of components to work, and dirt and grime can screw them up like EVERYTHING else on this planet made by a human. And when they fail, there isn't a simple tap/rack fix available.

Hope this is taken like it was meant to be communicated. This is a good place with good people. I mostly lurk on this site and don't know everyone personally, but I've been here 8 years and it's only got better over time.

If you want to take advantage of that I'd suggest you take this advice.

:)

On staff with the LEA I work for we have six (6) factory trained Glock armorers. At least one, usually two of them are kept busy at our quarterly qualification shoots. We have one (me) :confused: non-factory trained 1911 hack who can recognize the source of a malfunction, strip the weapon, replace the defective part, and reassemble everything. I have never been called upon to demonstrate my expertise. Granted 2/3 of our LEOs carry Glocks because they are cheap to buy, but...you get what you pay for. I am very happy that the majority of you Glock owners are pleased with your weapons and have had no reliability issues with them.

I don't take the OP's original post as a criticism on Glocks or semi-autos, which I think many folks did. Everything has a trade-off and I think the discussion on the thread has elucidated them. I can't shoot a Glock worth a damn because of the rectangular grip shape, but I love me some Rugers and S&W's. I definitely want some wheel guns eventually too.

To the OP, don't let that experience turn you or your wife off from semi-autos. There are many benefits (which your wife seemed to point out a few) to a semi-auto vs a revolver. But there are differences in the care (cleaning and lubing) and handling (eg, a firm grip that is higher up than a revolver grip, no trigger stacking) of a semi vs. a revolver. It sounds like you treat your revolvers well, so if you keep the same care with a quality semi-auto pistol, then you should also have a great experience if you decide to make the dive.

I'm not a Glock fanboy by any stretch. Die hard 1911 guy. However over the past 3 months I have won 2 of them. A 43 (9mm version of the 42 in .380) and a gen 4 19.

Both function as expected and no surprises. I hate to admit it but the 43 makes a nice little carry piece when you are wearing things that make hiding my full size or commander sized 1911's a little more difficult.

But as to choosing one for your wife. My wife is in her mid 40's but has moderately severe rheumatoid arthritis. You wouldn't know it looking at her or watching her work or participate in life. Largely because of the $5000 a month wonder drugs. However she has a really hard time racking the slide, particularly on the smaller guns which ironically tend to have pretty heavy recoil springs.

She tried the G42 and the G43, rental guns before I had my 43, and she shot quite well with them. But couldn't manipulate the slides and the stock slide release was impossible for her and honestly can be difficult for me. You can get extended slide releases. However she tried my Kimber Micro 9 and liked it, almost. And she was mostly able to operate it well. But the very similar, almost identical Sig 938 was the winner. The squared off slide made it much easier to rack the slide on. The slide release functioned easy enough for her. She shot as well if not better with the baby Sig than she did with either baby Glock. And it has been reliable to a fault. It is very tolerant of her slightly weak grip without any FTF's resulting from it. She holds as tight as she can but just doesn't have the strength she did prior to the RA. But with the Sig it doesn't matter. A little more expensive than the baby Glocks but a good reliable non-plastic gun.

I went shooting with some friends a while back. We had two Glocks among us; one friend's model 19 and my model 22. Another friend, who had very little experience shooting handguns, had trouble with the 19, repeated malfunctions. It shot fine for the rest of us. It had to be his grip somehow, but he's a big, strong guy. We tried coaching him on grip but it didn't help. He switched to my model 22 and it worked fine for him. I suspect that the 9mm ammo they were using in the 19 was of the rather anemic variety.

My model 22 is a very early one. I've had it since the mid '90s and I honestly can't ever remember a malfunction that wasn't directly related to my weak reloads. I actually prefer S&W revolvers and didn't care for the Glock at all, and it's ergonomics of a brick. It didn't get used much for years. Eventually I warmed up to it. It's still not my favorite, but it shoots well and I do like it. I've gotten used to the grip. I had a large frame Glock for a while (model 21) and just couldn't get used to the grip, like trying to grasp a 2x4.

Another time many years before, I almost got a free pistol. I was young, living at home, probably just out of high school. A neighbor knew I liked guns so he said he'd give me a piece of junk S&W 9mm that jammed terribly. I asked if he ever cleaned it, and he said it had been real dirty and he'd cleaned it really well a couple years before, then it just sat around until recently when he tried to use it and could get more than a shot or two without a jam. It was junk, he said, and I could have it for parts.

Well, it turns out he had "cleaned it real good" with WD40, then left it sit in storage with the internals soaked with WD40. The WD40 had congealed over time and turned into some kind of sticky varnish. I cleaned it with solvent and elbow grease, and it shot great. I showed him how good it worked; he said thank you and took it back! :(

Largely because of the $5000 a month wonder drugs.
I'll bet I know exactly what that is, probably have the same med in our refrigerator.

What is limp-writing? I've read it here several times and now it's time to ask.
A recoil operated handgun functions through the recoiling of the barrel and slide when the round fires. The barrel and slide recoil together until the barrel is stopped by the barrel link or frame. The slide continues to move because of inertia. It moves against, and compresses, the recoil spring, pushing against the frame. The only reason the frame doesn't move is because you are holding it.

If you "limp wrist" or hold it weakly so that it can move in your hands too much, the frame effectively moves with the slide, and the slide doesn't have enough inertia to fully cycle.

What is limp-writing? I've read it here several times and now it's time to ask.

A recoil operated handgun functions through the recoiling of the barrel and slide when the round fires. The barrel and slide recoil together until the barrel is stopped by the barrel link or frame. The slide continues to move because of inertia. It moves against, and compresses, the recoil spring, pushing against the frame. The only reason the frame doesn't move is because you are holding it.

If you "limp wrist" or hold it weakly so that it can move in your hands too much, the frame effectively moves with the slide, and the slide doesn't have enough inertia to fully cycle.

And lighter weight pistols, such as Glocks, are more prone to this "feature". I've seen people take brass to the face and choke my G19 from holding like a puss, I pick it up run the same gun with the same mag, same ammo with zero problems. It is what it is.

And lighter weight pistols, such as Glocks, are more prone to this "feature". I've seen people take brass to the face and choke my G19 from holding like a puss, I pick it up run the same gun with the same mag, same ammo with zero problems. It is what it is.

Gentlemen thanks a lot for answering my question. I have a Bodyguard 380, a S&W 38 special, and a 9mm Keltec my son gave me as a present (before all of these stupid rules were created). I have not run into the limp wrist problem.

My son has a Glock, I don't know which model, that I have shot. It has a hair trigger compared to the guns that I have. I liked it but it was a little heavy for me after shooting a few magazines.

Gentlemen thanks a lot for answering my question. I have a Bodyguard 380, a S&W 38 special, and a 9mm Keltec my son gave me as a present (before all of these stupid rules were created). I have not run into the limp wrist problem.

My son has a Glock, I don't know which model, that I have shot. It has a hair trigger compared to the guns that I have. I liked it but it was a little heavy for me after shooting a few magazines.

FYI, still not an issue, per SB941 the following exceptions apply:

(A) A transferor's spouse or domestic partner;
(B) A transferor's parent or stepparent;
(C) A transferor's child or stepchild;
(D) A transferor's sibling;
(E) A transferor's grandparent;
(F) A transferor's grandchild;
(G) A transferor's aunt or uncle;
(H) A transferor's first cousin;
(I) A transferor's niece or nephew; or
(J) The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.

I haven't had any problem with my Glock and I'm part of the old broad contingent. To date, I've shot over 1,000 rounds since buying it. I've missed some targets but it was shooter error - thankfully I've had some great instructors from the beginning. Have been fortunate to not ever have a misfeed or failed ejection. That said, I'm no expert but am more than happy with my Glock Gen5 19 and am considering purchasing a Glock 43. Just sayin':)

To start, I am a Glock fan with 2 G19s, 1- G17 and 1- G34 but I also have an S&W Shield, S&W MP 9, S&W 659 and a Springfield XD 9.

About a year ago I watched a buddy limp wrist all of them and was having the same issues you talk about until we figured out what he was doing wrong.

He is not really a new shooter as has been shooting .38/.357 revolver and 22 pistol for a couple years along with AR rifle including taking a couple local carbine classed but is new to larger caliber pistol.

We found after the first couple rounds he would anticipate the recoil and pull the gun up (form of limp wrist) not allowing the guns to have enough grip tension to cycle.

To prove it I added a few dummy rounds to the ammo mix and it is funny to watch someone pull the trigger and get a loud audible click and not a BANG from the gun but seeing the gun pointing skyward as if it just went off.

After some dry firing practice and a few clip/mags with mixed dummy/live ammo he got over the problem and his groups became much tighter.

His groups with his .357 got better as well as he was doing the same thing with it but did not realize it as he was mainly shooting it single action and with no slide to move for reload it was not as noticeable of an issue.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top