JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:D I figured somebody would think I'm bashing Glocks or semi-autos in general because I'm a revolver person, but believe me I have nothing against Glocks or semi's at all. Some of my best friends shoot semi's and Glocks. ;)

Honestly though, other than a little .22lr Sterling pocket pistol that was my dad's and I shot for the first time yesterday, I've never owned or even handled a sem-automatic pistol. My wife's son, who is a Portland police officer carries Glock and speaks highly of them. But as an unbiased observer, I did note with interest that they did have that much problem with 4 different Glocks. This was with 5 different people shooting them. With my wife, yea, it could have been limp wrist since this was her first time shooting a semi pistol, so it's possible. Possibly for one of the guys as well. But I'm pretty sure I had a solid grip on it since I did not know what to expect in shooting the 9mm Glock I shot and 2 of the other guys also seemed to have good grips. So I don't know other than what I saw. I know two of the people real well (I've been their boss for 4 years although this was the first time I'd gone shooting with them) but I just met the other couple that came out. I don't think any of them are what you would call experts but at least the two I know are very knowledgeable. I'm sure there is a logical and technical reason for what happened. I did notice though that the one Ruger LCP 2 .380 worked very well and my wife is now scowering the internet looking at reviews and prices, so we may have one of those in the not so distant future. :D

Mike

Yah, more than likely limp wristing, as others have mentioned.

We're not fans of Glocks, but they are extremely reliable.

Had seen a young lady limp wrist her Glock up at N Fork Wolf Creek rd a while back. Multiple out of battery failures. Pointed such out to her & I ran a few mags flawlessly.

I think Palmetto State had a special on LCP 2's recently with free shipping, just checked & they are out of stock. Might be worth getting on there email list, and you can have them email you when they have them back.

Don't confuse them with the first generation (just LCP), unless that's specifically what you are looking for.

I was going to comment about limp-wristing but it looks like everyone beat me to it! Glocks never felt great in my hand, so I've stuck with my 1911 and revolvers....but Glocks work. It's pretty easy to blame the gun, ammo, sights, weather, ect but the vast majority of pistol issues come down to stance, grip, and trigger control.

Safe shooting!

I think Palmetto State had a special on LCP 2's recently with free shipping, just checked & they are out of stock. Might be worth getting on there email list, and you can have them email you when they have them back.

Don't confuse them with the first generation (just LCP), unless that's specifically what you are looking for.

+1 on the LCP II. These are certainly NOT for everyone but damn I like mine. I have not shot a Glock in a long time but the LCPII sure reminded me of what Glock triggers felt like. Compared to the first little .380's night and day. The only down side was it meant no more dropping it in a pocket to carry. Had to start using a pocket holster but it was worth it. It is a lot of gun for the weight though. Wife bought the one I have even though I tried to tell her not to. She literally could not even rack a round into it. That could of course been over come with exercise. I took her to the range and she could not shoot it, as I knew would be the case. She's very recoil sensitive. After the first shot she was flinching so bad she would have to have the target touching her to hit it. Even for me the first trip out was soon no fun at all. Ran several boxes of ammo through it to test it and it was no longer anything close to fun after the first few mags. Damn what a sweet little pistol though and even with Wife it would not jam.
Be great if they made one in .32, but alas I doubt there is market for it.

NiftyAdorableAstrangiacoral-small.gif

Ray

Glocks are awesome. Please don't make fun of them. I actually saw one fn up on Saturday after our rimfire shoot as well. I must have been seeing things though, as we all know "they always function flawlessly "...:s0005:

Got a friend with a compact 9mm Glock.

Had never cleaned it and got it used.

It's not reliable at all.

I've offered to help him clean it but he's yet to take me up on it.

I dug this up out of the ground a couple of years ago. It was buried in an ammo can before Y2K.
Lucky for me the owner preserved it in grease. The brown grease made it look just like the rusted Colt in the previous post.
I'm sure glad it was a National Match Colt and not a Glock.

upload_2018-10-14_18-27-25.jpeg

I dug this up out of the ground a couple of years ago. It was buried in an ammo can before Y2K.
Lucky for me the owner preserved it in grease. The brown grease made it look just like the rusted Colt in the previous post.
I'm sure glad it was a National Match Colt and not a Glock.

View attachment 508832

Damn, it looks like the can and the grease did the intended job. Pistol looks great even after all that time in the ground.

He's got a pistol grip mossy I think he uses.

I need to talk him into getting a CHL and clean that thing but some people have different priorities.

Strange. Why have a gun you know does not work and then ignore it. Chances are whatever is wrong is an easy fix. Hell if he does not want to make it work or even try he should trade it off for something else.

The owner's son also had a snub noise .357

Yes, those make a loud bang - and excessive recoil in my opinion. I've never been a fan of small .357's for shooting .357 ammo in. .38 and light .357, yes. Full .357 in a, say, Ruger SP-101, not for me. And why would you want a defensive weapon that could fly out of the hand of some shooters? I don't mind shooting "real" .357 in my Smith & Wesson Model 28, but in my three inch Model 66, I've never fired a full .357 load. Many enjoyable light loads, however. Yes, .38's in a .357 are fine, I don't like getting my chambers coked up so I'd rather load light .357's with a bulky powder that fills up the space.

Re. the trouble with Glocks. I have many revolvers, many 1911 types, some other stuff. But I also have two Glocks. A 19 (9mm) and a 23 (.40). Don't know or care what generation they are. I've fired many different kinds of ammo in the 19, not as much in the 23 simply because I haven't had the latter as long. But I rarely shoot factory ammo, nearly always hand loads. Including cast bullets which are supposed to be taboo in Glocks. I've never had a single failure of any kind with either pistol. Maybe luck or maybe because I nearly always shoot two-handed. The mention of "limp wristing" presupposes that such shooters are not striving for the follow-through that over the years we have been admonished to control. I've never changed any internal parts or pieces in my Glocks. The only changes I've made are butt-plugs in both, and finger extensions on the mag floor plates.

The Ruger LCP, don't get me started on that subject. Generally, I like Ruger products. But the LCP had a very brief stay here.

I still do not own a single Glock yet but I have rented a Glock 17, 19, and 23 may times over the years, Have not had any FTF or FTE using the range ammo.

Well, to me, any semi that needs the shooter to be braced against a brick wall to get it to shoot reliably is not a gun I want to depend on. If it's that susceptible to not firing because even a little of the power of the recoil is wasted based on how the gun is held, then it sounds like a defect or poor design. I wasn't watching every time one of the Glocks mis-fed or failed to feed but at least some of the times I saw it the person had a good two handed grip on the gun. So I don't go along with what many are saying about it being limp wristed. I'd go with the type of ammunition or cleaning habits first as a guess.

I should get a chance to shoot with them again and I'll take some video of them shooting next time. My wife would have gotten some this time but her memory card was full and neither of us had an extra with us that we usually care for our dash cams. I should have pulled my car around a bit and the dash cam could have recorded the whole shooting session. I'll have to do that next time.

Mike

Great to hear you got some much backlogged trigger time. A day on the range is a great day.

Surprising the plastic wonders had problems, not common at all and probably what made it stand out so much. You have to really neglect a Glock to get it to have issues, at least all the ones I have owned.

At 12yrs old the first pistol I ever shot was a .38 Snub nose special my grandfather owned. Love the fact my first pistol I shot was a revolver, and my grandfathers. 7 yrs later in 1990 I shot my second pistol ever, a Glock 17. All though OSU for almost 3yrs I took that to Albany Rifle and Pistol Club and put about 300 to 500 rounds a week though it. Only failures I ever had was due to my own loads, and it took the abuse. I was pretty much teaching myself how to reload. It was 1990's so no University of YouTube avalible. That poor G17 just took it. No powder, primer only = stuck 115gn JHP halfway in the barral. No $$ for a gunsmith so I loaded up a home made blank and shot it out. Ya gasses expanding and the CAP pressure must have been crazy high. Put probably 30k more rounds though it.

Funny I don't own any revolvers, not by conscious choice, just don't have any. The Bareta 94 I have due to a partial debt payment from 20+yrs ago was the only non Glock pistol in my safe up to a few months ago. A good friend in FL out of the blue ask how my 1911 collection was doing. I said I had none. A week later I picked up the 1952, 1911 we cut a trade for. It's a fine gun, shoots great, chews brass like a starved piranaha but fun history to hold and shoot.

A G43, ( 9mm) is my go too carry these days. Never one issue with it, ever. I train with it a few times a month and rarely clean it since its not needed.

Only flaws I have had with any of my tupaware guns is my 4th Gen G17. FTL and FTE when its dirty..... but if I remove the threaded aftermarket barrel and put the stock Glock barrel in... it instantly starts to work. It's like it knows it has a non OE part. Aftermarket bits = issues. "If its Glock, keep it stock"

BTW; G42's used are real cheep due to the 43 coming out in 2015. The 42 came out first in .380, then about a year later the 43 came out. So the used 42's are abundant for deals as a lot of owners jumped up to the 9mm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top