JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys n gals,
I'm new to loading these match type bullets. I kept getting different OACL after seating the 168gr bullets. So I grabbed a handful of bullets and my micrometer. Instantly I found that each bullet was ever so slightly different, measuring from 1.189-1.203. Is this common with the hollow points? I know its best to use a precision mic to measure the ogive rather than OACL, but haven't invested yet. Any input on this would be appreciated!

You didn't say, but I assume 30-cal..?

For a comparison, I grabbed the first 3, 6.5mm Berger hybrid Targets out of an open box.
1.397" - 1.406"
The difference you show isn't visible to the naked eye, so what made you look? Gave you shot them to see if it matters?

Shoot I'm sorry .308 in my M1A. Ive only shot my first load which was not a good group in any way. I caught the difference in OAL after I seated the bullet, its a habit when starting fresh to measure each round. Thanks for checking Darkker. Never had this happen before so I was concerned with bad bullets.
The issue that I am foreseeing is not being able to consistently seat the load one after another.

I have seen the same thing with 168 Custom Competitions. I really don't know if it matters that much but it does bug me. Haven't noticed this problem with SMKs so I will use them from now on. In reality, I really don't think it matters much as you bullet seater isn't seating off the tip of the bullet so the ogive should be in the same spot.

It bugs me too! I'll work the load and see what results I get. Thanks for the input. Still only over a year into reloading so I like to figure this stuff out, and not create bad habits.
Thanks!

ive shot a ton of custom competition 168gr .308,they have always been diffrent but as you noticed not by much.i get really good groups out of them in my remmy 7oo aac.i found that bullet likes to be about 20 thousands of the lands.but i do use a bullet comparator from hornady.best of luck.

Are you measuring from base to tip? Or base to ogive?

I can only get consistent measurements regardless of type of bullet if I measure off the ogive.

If this is a really critical issue for you, you can get a meplate uniformer. Generally though, the seating plug is seating on the ogive, not on the tip, so while you may see some variance in OAL, it should not affect final performance.

I found that the issue is even more distinct with the Nosler Custom Comp "seconds." While they do, in fact seat on the ogive I have had mediocre results with the 155's and 168's. I had better results in bolt guns than in either of my M1A's. There seems to be more uniformity with SMK's and they shoot tighter. But....alas....I couldn't afford enough of them to make me happy...:eek:....I discovered Rocky Mountain Reload web sight and have been using their 175's with great results.....just as good as SMK's. Good luck.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top