JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What does a cheap concrete paver cost? $1.89? Dig it in a bit, off to the side, and rattle can "25", "50" "30" etc...I'd think whoever looks at it is going to know if it's 30' or 30 yards. If they get stolen, or broken, post here for someone to pick up another $2.00 stone paint it and replace it! Helluva lot cheaper than bringing garbage bags back to PDX and having to pay $5.00 or more each for Waste Management to haul off. Seem like there's a lot overthinking going on here. How about some surveyors stakes with a distance put on with a sharpie and pounded in on the edge of the lane? Heck, that might even be a "Native" to the area stake. Made from Tillamook Forest firs! They can't complain about that can they? Maybe a "ROCK"?(all natural you know). With a number painted on it?

Reminds me, I should put my 100' tape in the range box. :s0141:

Ha! @Mikej you're funny. Right, but funny! Yep, too many heads overthinking. But, when we are dealing with a government agency, we gotta get used to, and accept, overthinking.

I'm overthinking we may have found the answer. The painted brick paver. Use a long thin brick, pre-paint it at home, could stencil paint yardage numbers on it and embed it flush with the gravel. Here's a visual (sorry the brick shapes are not uniform of representative of their actual size). To keep it simple and less time/effort, only do the pavers down one side of each lane. Don't do lanes 1 & 4 until we get the renovation work done.

Lane Marker Bricks.jpg
I heard back from ODF and here's what he had to say:

I would prefer markers along the side versus paint on the lanes. Here are some ideas for marking distance:

Wire pin flags stuck in the ground that could be placed at the set distances. They would likely get shot at so would need to be replaced regularly.

Rocks on the outside edge of the lane that would be big enough to see but not so big that they become a target or ricochet risk. They could be painted to make them more visible. They could even be represented on the lane map showing the set distance.

Little square plastic markers pinned to the ground. They would likely get shot at so would need to be replaced regularly.

Larger square markers labeled with the distance on them so it is clear what they are. Maybe a more obvious sign would last longer.

My concern with paint is having is the temporary nature of it, the potential of tagging or graffiti, and it could encourage others to paint lines at other distances.

While we don't support the paint option we are open to the use community developing another preferred option and trying it.

Should we do this? Or do we need some more overthinking? :D

I like Mikes paver idea. Set them almost flush with the ground to minimize their use as a target by the Dipsticks who do frequent the lanes.
Actually, I believe it was @N Monty who first came up with the paver idea. But the whole marker idea started with @GMGen 's post. Mike simplified it and put it into perspective. All and any of the ideas would work perfectly well at a private place, but here we gotta hash out all the scenarios to come up with one that might be the best solution for the situation.

Teamwork! It's how we roll!

Yeah, I'm liking the paver idea. I've had to anchor valuable paver bricks before, in a setting where private donors and public defacing were involved, so there are some options. I'll draw up something that would be inexpensive and low-key and ask @Cogs to run it by our ODF reps before I spend any money on it.

But I can totally make an innocent little paver brick harder to pull out of the ground than Excalibur.

Last Edited:
Are you really planing on getting them as big as in your pic? Big pavers would look like a real prize to the dirt bags. Nice souvenir !

Why not put the stenciled pavers, (10"x 10" 12" X 12") IN the dirt edge? Or just standard size white bricks? Nothing to shoot, nothing to step on/ trip over. They're only used for setting targets. It's not a driving range where you need to see 250'-300' from the tee.

Actually, I believe it was @N Monty who first came up with the paver idea.

That's right. Thanks for the credit. It was MY IDEA AND I DEMAND PRAISE FOR IT

hahaha, I'm kidding, but really I'd be really excited to see that happen. It's a cool upgrade for such little work.

But I can totally make an innocent little paver brick harder to pull out of the ground than Excalibur.

That sounds great. It's a shame, the whole "tragedy of the commons." This whole 75 page thread seems, at least in part, a testament to how badly some people can mistreat public property. Then again, all the forest service signs pelted with birdshot have testified to it for decades.

Are you really planing on getting them as big as in your pic? Big pavers would look like a real prize to the dirt bags. Nice souvenir !

Why not put the stenciled pavers, (10"x 10" 12" X 12") IN the dirt edge? Or just standard size white bricks? Nothing to shoot, nothing to step on/ trip over. They're only used for setting targets. It's not a driving range where you need to see 250'-300' from the tee.
No, not that big. I just didn't have the time to size it proportionally when I photographic shopped it this morning. My idea was the thin pavers about 3"×6", or what ever size they are. Then just embed them into the edges of the gravel lane. They would be flush with the surface. Don't know if we need to worry about anchoring them. Would be best in the long run.

Then just embed them into the edges of the gravel lane. They would be flush with the surface. Don't know if we need to worry about anchoring them. Would be best in the long run.

Flush was my first concern too, so some idiot doesn't decide to try and shoot the rocks, or whatever.
I'd agree, and just drop some cheap ones in to the dirt and see how long they last. If no one thinks they're worth stealing, all the better.

Cool . But I wouldn't be able to pick them up or do anything with them for a while, much less get out there to put them in. My plate is full for the next month at least .

Maybe someone else could pick them up and paint them.

Thanks

Then just embed them into the edges of the gravel lane. They would be flush with the surface. Don't know if we need to worry about anchoring them. Would be best in the long run.

I was thinking embed them into the dirt sides. Easier viewing with them facing the lane. Fire brick is most likely red/brownish.

I use these on my deck to keep planted pots off the wood. I believe these are the ones that were .68 cents. But then a light gray standard brick might stay put better.

rivertown-pavestone-concrete-pavers-22049-64_1000.jpg

Hi MikeJ,
you are correct, the fireplace brick I have is indeed reddish-brown.
Just thought I would offer.
James

I guess there's no reason why it wouldn't, now that I think about it. White paint is cheap, and would contrast even better than on white/lt. grey brick?

So @jmh119 has bricks

Someone had parking lot paint/stencils?

What increments are we looking at? I think I have a 30M measuring tape.

I have several stencil sets and parking lot paint. Not the expensive thermoplastic stuff, but it's paint that stays put for a good long time. Maybe we could set up a time for @jmh119 's bricks, my paint and stencils, and a couple sets of hands to congregate at lane 2 sometime soon. I can pick the bricks up in a pickup with some notice if needed.

I'm thinking we lay out markers for lane 2 and leave it at that for a while. See what the pinheads tear up before we spend real time on it for the remaining lanes.

In other news, was back up there today. Lane 4 this time. Looked okayish, muddy as all hell from the rain, obviously. Carted out a bag of trash and cleared the crap off the top of the jersey barriers as best I could without holding up the lane. Beautiful view from up there.

Hey Folks,
I am not sure i will have any time this weekend. My daughter gave birth this morning!
:s0023:
My new little buddy came in at a whopping 9lbs 7oz and he was 21" long.

We can perhaps arrange to meet and I will be happy to pass them over to someone if it has to be done this weekend.

James

Hey Folks,
I am not sure i will have any time this weekend. My daughter gave birth this morning!
:s0023:
My new little buddy came in at a whopping 9lbs 7oz and he was 21" long.

We can perhaps arrange to meet and I will be happy to pass them over to someone if it has to be done this weekend.

James
I'm not available this weekend myself. I don't see any huge rush to get this done- just when the opportunity avails itself.

Edited to add: I can't believe I didn't say this in the first place, but congratulations on the family addition!

Last Edited:
Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top